Rules..for the many, or the few ?

Rewulf

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I am seriously surprised that the Labour Party allow Diane Abbott to go on shows like that because she just shows herself up every time. 

Its partly a 'management of expectations' matter.

If you are a fervent hard left Labour supporter, or a 'political novice' - you see any 'deficiency' in her performance as her being trapped, attacked etc. by unfair questions/interview tactics.  You expected that - it had been predicted - she said she the interview would be biased as it was last time - and the time before - and you saw it happen, so the prediction was right.

If you are a traditional Labour voter - you probably don't take much notice; many vote Labour because they and their families always have - and take no interest in politics.  Labour is the party of the working classes - so you vote for them.  Always have done, always will do - don't really care who their front bench team are - they are the party of the workers.

If you are a 'deep thinking' Labour supporter, you are in an extreme minority, so it probably doesn't matter

It goes the other way as well - those of us who don't support Labour are expecting her to make a Horlicks of it - and when it happens - our expectations are fulfilled.

Politics overall is all about playing up to your audience and damage limitation for the oppositions audience.  Only the very finest politicians can appeal to all.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Its partly a 'management of expectations' matter.

If you are a fervent hard left Labour supporter, or a 'political novice' - you see any 'deficiency' in her performance as her being trapped, attacked etc. by unfair questions/interview tactics.  You expected that - it had been predicted - she said she the interview would be biased as it was last time - and the time before - and you saw it happen, so the prediction was right.

If you are a traditional Labour voter - you probably don't take much notice; many vote Labour because they and their families always have - and take no interest in politics.  Labour is the party of the working classes - so you vote for them.  Always have done, always will do - don't really care who their front bench team are - they are the party of the workers.

If you are a 'deep thinking' Labour supporter, you are in an extreme minority, so it probably doesn't matter

It goes the other way as well - those of us who don't support Labour are expecting her to make a Horlicks of it - and when it happens - our expectations are fulfilled.

Politics overall is all about playing up to your audience and damage limitation for the oppositions audience.  Only the very finest politicians can appeal to all.

The real reason she willingly goes on these programmes is because she charges a lot of money for her appearances. She has an PR agent who negotiates her fees and manages her bookings for her like she was some film star. To me, this is yet another example of the moral corruption that these people find normal.

As a shadow cabinet minister she should consider appearing on current affairs programmes as part of her public duties not an excuse to line her pockets

As such, she has no grounds for complaint when she gets difficult questions, They are not paying her because she has a brilliant mind are they? 

Edited by Vince Green

5 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Let's be honest, most questions are difficult for her. 

"Would you like a cup of tea Ms Abbott?" "Eerrr um, err, that's a loaded question" 

No its more like,  big sigh...….., roll eyes...….., "Eerr um err, that's a loaded question"

Edited by Vince Green

41 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

The real reason she willingly goes on these programmes is because she charges a lot of money for her appearances. She has an PR agent who negotiates her fees and manages her bookings for her like she was some film star. To me, this is yet another example of the moral corruption that these people find normal.

As a shadow cabinet minister she should consider appearing on current affairs programmes as part of her public duties not an excuse to line her pockets

As such, she has no grounds for complaint when she gets difficult questions, They are not paying her because she has a brilliant mind are they? 

That is certainly true.  I agree - if you make an appearance as part of a paid position in society/employment etc., there should be no fee for appearance.  It is similar to a normal business meeting.  I do however think that expenses (i.e. travel, subsistence, accommodation) should be allowed unless they are already paid for (i.e. Parliamentary expenses claim). 

Before I retired, I travelled to meetings, customer visits etc., and I was not paid any additional salary (or overtime, attendance, any other 'fee'), but I was allowed either car mileage (at the Inland Revenue rate), rail/air/ferry fares at refund of cost of economy ticket, hotel (booked and paid for by employer) where it was not practical to return in a day, and a meal allowance if working late.  All normal practice for an employee.

I understand politicians don’t get paid for Question Time but might get expenses.

You might be interested to know that in 2013 Diane Abbott was paid £500 to appear on Pointless and £600 for appearing on University Challenge.

You couldn’t make it up!😂

Just now, amateur said:

Ah, but these people are not normal, they see themselves as special and have special needs.

They get a salary out of 'government' funds - like a civil servant.  In my book that makes them like 'normal' employees.  They get their office in Parliament 'free'

They also get a pension most of us would never get in out most optimistic dreams, lots of leave and subsidised meals, bar, free travel to and from constituency, 2nd home allowance, and a variety of other 'perks'.  In addition - all normal 'office' facilities are provided by their employer (basically us) and they can claim for additional help in the form of 'researchers', secretarial assistance - where they often choose family members (something in my experience NEVER allowed for an employee in a normal business - unless of course you own the business) as paid assistants.

4 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

They get a salary out of 'government' funds - like a civil servant.  In my book that makes them like 'normal' employees.  They get their office in Parliament 'free'

They also get a pension most of us would never get in out most optimistic dreams, lots of leave and subsidised meals, bar, free travel to and from constituency, 2nd home allowance, and a variety of other 'perks'.  In addition - all normal 'office' facilities are provided by their employer (basically us) and they can claim for additional help in the form of 'researchers', secretarial assistance - where they often choose family members (something in my experience NEVER allowed for an employee in a normal business - unless of course you own the business) as paid assistants.

I think that you missed my reference to their having "special needs"

53 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Surprised she hasnt been called a fascist yet 🤣

If you havnt watched last thursdays QT , then I urge you to, the Abbott got no more flak than any other time shes appeared.
She appears to be insinuating something occurred before the programme began, so the public have to supposedly take her word for it.
She got a classic put down from an audience member (delivered politely) who said he was more scared of her becoming home sec, than a no deal Brexit.
She really didnt like this.

But then Im not sure she likes anything ?

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well he has appealed the decision but has to hear her sentence before the appeal can be heard.

Will be interesting to see what Festus gets too.

She can still have her appeal, whilst she's serving her sentence 😀

Festus? Mmm, technically speaking, he's got to be the scapegoat, but he's pleaded guilty, so whatever he gets, she really should get worse? 

So if they give him time, they can't really give her a suspended, or can they...? 

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

She can still have her appeal, whilst she's serving her sentence 😀

Festus? Mmm, technically speaking, he's got to be the scapegoat, but he's pleaded guilty, so whatever he gets, she really should get worse? 

So if they give him time, they can't really give her a suspended, or can they...? 

I am sure the "high fliers" in momentum will have quietly been putting pressure on the Judge.