My left eye

mark a

Hi all

I am a right handed shooter and right eye dominant,  all well and good I hear you say. Just recently I’ve noticed my left eye tries to take over just for a second then my right eye takes over again by which time the bird or clay has disappeared into the distance.This has been happening for a few months now and can’t think why now, my gun fit is good as I’ve this checked.Has anyone else have this happen to them?

Mark

Tension or stress can often cause this to occur. I have often confirmed a right eye dominance off range, only to have it change during the act of shooting, due to 'pressure' of trying to do well. Often a 'break and a brew' works wonders, but do not ignore the above advice.

Firstly get a proper eye examination.  Not just a sight test, but a full check inc retina examination 'out of central field' test, and pressure test.  All easily done in half an hour at a good optician.

Eye dominance can change through life, but most can overcome by just blinking the 'unwanted' eye.  I have to do this as I am right shouldered and left eyed!  I just blink the left eye as I mount the gun on the right shoulder.  it becomes a habit.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I had my eyes checked a few months back and they are all good and I don’t have diabetes,I watched a **** vid last night and he mentioned about the other eye trying to take over and he said it is a age thing.

So now I’ve got a rouge left eye and I’m old anything else lol

mark

Is it mainly right to left and incoming targets.

If so then the barrels are coming into view and your other eye is compensating.

Either shoot gundown and mount and shoot at the last second, 

Or more practice is gauge speed and line of target, then close left eye for final sight picture.

It's quite a common thing, which tiredness can effect.

If this is tricky, then try holding your left thumb alongside and slightly higher than the rib.

• 3 weeks later...

as you get older / tired in the afternoons etc   your  eye dominance can change so you may have to squint your left eye   wear glasses  and put some  Sellotape over the sighting spot to give right eye dominance    or use your left thumb upright on the for end  to block out your left eye or shut it altogether    if your stock is a bit low/flat shooting your right eye may loose the bead and your left eye will take over shoot in the wrong place and even underneath a miss and cannot understand why     loosing weight / winter clothing all have an effect on gun fit etc most causes of left eye taking over is loosing the sight picture with right eye    tape a piece of cardboard onto your stock comb if things improve and are consistent  over a period of time  have your gun fitted  all the best

Mine do it at times as I’m central dominant, whichever eye sees the target or barrel first becomes the dominant eye for that shot.  I found if I just ignore it im ok. I know the gun is mounted and my eye rob alignment is right so I just focus on the clay or bird that way I’m not conscious of any eye dominance. I used a easy hit on two guns for a few years. 

I do shoot gun down so that may help. 

7 hours ago, figgy said:

Mine do it at times as I’m central dominant, whichever eye sees the target or barrel first becomes the dominant eye for that shot.  I found if I just ignore it im ok. I know the gun is mounted and my eye rob alignment is right so I just focus on the clay or bird that way I’m not conscious of any eye dominance. I used a easy hit on two guns for a few years. 

I do shoot gun down so that may help. 

I’m very similar. I am, according to my optician, left eye dominant, and for a while he adjusted the strength in my left contact lens , on the theory my brain would compensate, but I was aware of it constantly and it got on my boobs so we went back to normal strength in both. 

I practise my mount at every opportunity whenever I have my guns out for whatever reason, and because my mount is consistent as a result,  I know exactly where my gun is pointing and that it is aligned properly, and therefore just concentrate on the target as figgy explains. It seems to work fine. 

Have always had that problem and annoyingly you never knew when it was going to go pear shaped. An OU was a no go as that big slab of metal seemed to act as a magnet for the left eye. So had to close that eye until I had to wear specs and now I get a second pair when necessary and keep them for shooting with a small patch appropriately placed on the left lens. Two things to look for; make sure they're clear of your cheek so when mounting the stock doesn't push the fleshy part and therefore the glasses up which misplaces the patch, as you tend to forget about them, make sure that you don't stilll have them on if driving - if like me you tend to reverse over your left shoulder, be very careful as you've got a very big blind spot. If you don't need prescription lenses but shoot clays then having a pair for safety purposes is no bad thing.