Invictus Games.

old man

44 minutes ago, Dougy said:

I look at those athlete's and then look at the amount of air wasters on benefits. 

Those athletes all deserve a gold medal in my eyes. 

But in the Paralympics a lot lost their disability benefits and told to go to work. How wrong was that. 

I know a woman who stopped working at 19 for a bad knee ??? She’s 65 now . The people in the games make most of us look like fools. They’re incredible

Edited by team tractor

17 hours ago, team tractor said:

But in the Paralympics a lot lost their disability benefits and told to go to work. How wrong was that. 

Wrong? not at all.  If they can manage to compete they can manage to work.

Disability benefit should be for those  that  really can't work.

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

So if a soldier lost both his legs but competed in a rowing race for example should he loose his benefits  

Plenty of people in wheelchairs have desk  jobs, work at benches,   that sort of thing.

There really aren't too many disabilities that prevent people doing ANY work. 

I object to paying  benefits to the "professionally disabled"  so they can play games instead of working.

Indeed, quite a few got caught out claiming how difficult mobility was, to get  maximum benefit,  and were then found  to be competing in sport at a level that would have many able bodied struggling.

Not very fair on those that are actually so disabled they can't work is it?

2 hours ago, Wymondley said:

Plenty of people in wheelchairs have desk  jobs, work at benches,   that sort of thing.

I object to paying  benefits to the "professionally disabled"  so they can play games instead of working.

Indeed, quite a few got caught out claiming how difficult mobility was, to get  maximum benefit,  and were then found  to be competing in sport at a level that would have many able bodied struggling.

Just because they claim benefits it doesn’t  mean they don’t work.

my father in law gets £30 a week on top of his job and it pays towards the help he needs. 

People without legs can work yes at a desk but they require a little help towards wheel chairs and adapting the house /car etc . 

Some of the guys in the Paralympic Games had 1 arm ??? What job would you like them to do ? 

Every case has to be assessed differently.

2 hours ago, hambone said:

When I used to do a lot of fly fishing competitions I knew a carpenter who fished all day and "couldn't" work and was on disability benefits... I got off the boat end of day aching like  I'd done a hard days graft and thought about him "disabled my ****"

I know a guy who got in trouble for fishing on a Saturday ( match sat down ) 

hes riddled with arthritis and can’t walk without pills, wrist supports to stop them breaking , injections twice a day. He’s really bad and shakes none stop.

Normally im the first to shoot them down but I can see he’s in so much pain and can’t move . I thought is he just meant to sit at home and die ? 

On the other hand I know scammers with a bad back who can’t work apparently. 30-40 years of it 😡

The guy in your example should be tested or monitored . I can’t get a blooming penny to help me and I struggle with asthma and damaged legs. 

I wouldn't want to  deprive anyone that wanted to work, of any benefits that would help them to do it, disabled or not.

My point, regarding your earlier comment on the paralympics, was that there are people who are so "disabled" they can't work, but manage to play sport quite well.

They effectively become professional sportsmen and women at the expense of the  taxpayer.

Play sport  by all means, but  not  at the expense of those that genuinely need help.

As  for one arm,  there  was  garage in  Bushey that employed  a one armed mechanic, we  had customer with one arm  who  worked as  a  double  glazing salesmen and the  MD of a major  back up generator  installation company was known to be quite "hands (hand)  on"  despite having  one arm. These are just people I've come across  in my work, there must be  many more.

7 hours ago, Wymondley said:

I wouldn't want to  deprive anyone that wanted to work, of any benefits that would help them to do it, disabled or not.

My point, regarding your earlier comment on the paralympics, was that there are people who are so "disabled" they can't work, but manage to play sport quite well.

They effectively become professional sportsmen and women at the expense of the  taxpayer.

Play sport  by all means, but  not  at the expense of those that genuinely need help.

As  for one arm,  there  was  garage in  Bushey that employed  a one armed mechanic, we  had customer with one arm  who  worked as  a  double  glazing salesmen and the  MD of a major  back up generator  installation company was known to be quite "hands (hand)  on"  despite having  one arm. These are just people I've come across  in my work, there must be  many more.

I mean only one arm. No legs .

i know a few with only one arm that work as tyre fitters and golfers . 

10 minutes ago, walshie said:

The men and women in the Invictus Games were maimed one way or the other fighting for their country. You shouldn't even mention benefits cheats in the same thread as these brave people. 

We should look after them 

12 minutes ago, walshie said:

The men and women in the Invictus Games were maimed one way or the other fighting for their country. You shouldn't even mention benefits cheats in the same thread as these brave people. 

Spot on Walshie, With these people , paying their dues was taken to a level way above money . No amount of money/benefits could compensate for what they have paid into the system..

Edited by moose man

22 hours ago, Wymondley said:

The problem being that the 'professionally disabled' have become as astute as the politicians?

11 hours ago, walshie said:

I agree, I made my comments in reply to a remark regarding the paralympics,  sorry  if it's dragged this thread off topic.

All injured service personnel deserve the utmost respect and support, including those that suffer from the mental trauma of combat.