First Snow of the Season

pigeon controller

Picked up DB at 09.30 and he was" worse for ware" after attending a Halloween party on Friday night. So the first stop was the "Greasy Spoon" to pick up an Egg and Bacon with brown sauce on crusty bread. Once that was devoured he could start to face the day. We had ice on the windscreens first thing and the wind was very chilling as we ventured out. DB had received a call in the week that the birds were hitting the rape, so we drove straight to the field just as the rain started. As we walked onto the field ten birds lifted and went off into the distance. The dog then picked up on a scent and went off on one, not taking any notice of the whistle it took him twenty minutes to return and in that time twenty birds had flighted across the field but made no attenpt to land. This farm is a good shoot for pigeons but the farmer can be a pain at times as he will call you about birds then proceed to fire guns at them to spook them off the field. We had not seen any birds on our thirty mile drive out the the farm so agreed to set up and see if we could decoy the passing birds. We were all set up for 13.00 and managed to shoot nine birds in two hours in the rain and sleet. I drove off to the other rape on the farm to see if they had gone to that field put two shots up and three pigeons lifted and went away from the decoy field. The farmer was hedge cutting and said they always return about 15.00 but not today. We packed up and drove back to another farm with rape that has a good roost on MOD land which we are unable to shoot but the idea was to shoot birds passing over the rape to roost. We were set up for 16.00 and in the last hour shot twentyfive birds. So the total for the day was thirtyfour pigeons. The camera was in the Disco along with the first nine birds so we did not take" Trophy Shot" as I'm aware from another post that some members do not like them. My thoughts on the matter are that I used to attempt to catch specimen fish and a picture helped to prove the capture and the specific neatness of my presentation respects the quarry and allows the numbers to be verified. 

Good effort pc. I was going to attempt a few hours today but the rain was putting me off, my wife returned with my sick daughter in any case so it was ceebeebies and juice all day with the heating on. 

Well done on getting out and potting a few. 

As for pictures- the angling times have plenty, why is this any different? Carry on. 

11 minutes ago, yickdaz said:

you don't need  a pic to prove anything I believe what you say you got, but I also don't understand why some shooters don't like pics of a bag being put up to me it just adds a visual element  to the post 

+1 to the above.

Please continue to put your weekly posts in 'Sporting Pictures' regardless of what some might say as that's where we all look first to read and thoroughly enjoy the details of your forays after the pigeons.

Thanks once again for the trouble to post your weekly reports.

OB

The sporting pictures section would be boring without actual sporting pictures, keep posting. I eagerly await your reports on a Saturday evening, as obviously many others do. They are detailed, give a great account of the day and show that you have a great respect for your quarry and sport.

We used to have a building called the Greasy Spoon in the 60s and 70s , if D B had gone in there he would have got a lot more than a egg and bacon sandwich , lets just say going pigeon shooting in those conditions yesterday wouldn't have been on the agenda while been tucked up in bed with 2 or 3 scantily clad ladies to keep the mind occupied 😊 

Enough of that sort of talk on a Sunday morning , we had our forth Partridge day yesterday in cool conditions , we didn't get the heavy showers till we had our last drive and as luck would have it we missed most of the heavy rain .

Well done for persevering in your counties adverse conditions yesterday , you and D B deserve all the success that comes your way and while we are not getting many , we can rely on reading someone who is and long may it continue .  

Like I said, putting up pictures isn't really my cup of tea although I have done so once on here in the past. If you want to put them up then do so, if you can't do it on a shooting forum where can you; you shouldn't be pandering to anyones objections anyway.   It doesn't offend me ( how on earth could it!) I just cant be bothered! 

Edited to say that we have snow here also, on the Fells just behind my house. 

Edited by Scully

12 minutes ago, Scully said:

Like I said, putting up pictures isn't really my cup of tea although I have done so once on here in the past. If you want to put them up then do so, if you can't do it on a shooting forum where can you; you shouldn't be pandering to anyones objections anyway.   It doesn't offend me ( how on earth could it!) I just cant be bothered! 

Edited to say that we have snow here also, on the Fells just behind my house. 

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Thanks.

No need, its as much your forum as it is anyone elses. I like to read of others decoying exploits as I usually don't get as many opportunities as you or others to do so, and I love watching decoying footage on here and youtube. 

I'd be chuffed to get twenty five birds over me in an hour, and forty or fifty bagged in a day is a good day for us.