Hughie Fury

Gordon R

Just watched Hughie get a beating from Pulev. I am sure the cut over his left eye will be cited, but it worries me that Fury thinks he can win by doing nothing.

He spent the best part of the fight tucked under Pulev's left armpit. He doesn't seem to grasp the basic concept that, unless you win by knockout, you have to outpoint your opponent.

Cue some pathetic excuses to cover up that he hasn't got what it takes. He doesn't have the movement, the punch, the timing or the brain at the highest level.

I don't know the history on his recent cut that re-emerged quickly but he (and his corner) did well to keep going 10 rounds with it.  He did look like 1 big punch was all he was in the match for though. He threw virtually no body punches but did take a few slogs without going down. The opponent looked strong and fit for not having fought for 12 months.    

With all the day's football related incidents, I'd completely forgotten about this one. Sounds like it was for the best. I don't know what Hughie thinks he's doing, because he's certainly not a boxer. I've read the report and it seems like another entirely pointless encounter. Either he's badly coached, doesn't listen to instructions or is too dim-witted to put them into practice, because it just seems the same old story: can't attack, loses. Yawn

Edited by chrisjpainter

Terrible fighter, cant believe he wasnt complaining about the head locks more but more astounding was his tactics, hide in a corner then counter pulev but he wasnt getting the chance to counter as he was that slow. Even more astonishing was ritchie woodall going on about how well fury was doing.... Must have watched a different fight from me. Fury not good enough simples

His biggest problem is he doesnt have the equaliser punch that HWs usually have at that level,,or even a couple of level below and instead of taking risks he just has tactics so negative.

No doubting he has skills,but when you have not got a big dig as a deterrent you need to be something very special and for that man look no further than Usyk and hes an elite level fighter.

As mentioned,the list of excuses just gets longer and more irrelevant the longer his career goes.

I recorded the fight as the constant adverts ruins it for me, but that's the price of the fight not being on sky, put it on thought the entrance and build up was good with a really good crowd backing their man, started nodding, not the fights fault up early and out beating.

but after reading the comments above don't think I'll bother watching it now.

7 hours ago, Gordon R said:

The cut eye excuses have started. He would have won other than the cut - aside from his complete lack of how to win a world level fight.

That explains it. Perhaps the cut stopped his arms and feet working properly and made him punch like a 12 year old girl. :lol:

World class professional excuse maker - yes. Boxer - no. 

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 23:35, Gordon R said:

Just watched Hughie get a beating from Pulev. I am sure the cut over his left eye will be cited, but it worries me that Fury thinks he can win by doing nothing.

He spent the best part of the fight tucked under Pulev's left armpit. He doesn't seem to grasp the basic concept that, unless you win by knockout, you have to outpoint your opponent.

Cue some pathetic excuses to cover up that he hasn't got what it takes. He doesn't have the movement, the punch, the timing or the brain at the highest level.

+1

Fury is fairly tall, but managed to keep ducking and lodging his head in Pulev's armpit with astonishing regularity. His right hooks - which always missed - were playground standard and slow at that. He looked amateurish, which is amazing considering his experience.