SCOPES

wymberley

There's a reason why I didn't put this in the Airgunners Forum.

I've been fiddling.

Yesterday I picked up a FFP scope to put on a new rifle as I thought it might suit as the ranges it will be used on will vary. I can't be sure until I've tried the rifle, but there's no problem as I've kept the Genesis when I put the HMR up for sale and if it doesn't suit I can use this and put the FFP on the 22 Hornet which it will suit. Consequently, I've been playing about with mil-dots, hold over, etc, etc and scopes in general.

We've recently discussed the obsession with speedy shotgun cartridges and also the need for back-bored barrels and whether or not we need them or gain any benefit from them - other than the makers or retailers that is. In the vast majority of cases, do we really need or get any benefit from 6 to 32 x 56 scopes?

Edited by wymberley

Have to confess that I'm gobsmacked. I really didn't expect that the vast majority of shooters in the majority of cases are shooting at distances where 32 mag is considered necessary. I suppose my ignorance might be due to the fact that where I shoot the size of the fields is such that anything beyond 10 mag is a rarity.

Edited by wymberley

The magnification you NEED .on a rifle depends on the gun and the cal and the velocity the range and not least the preference of the shooter ..

I defy anyone to be able to hunt rats at night in a chicken shed with 24 x mag or above .like wise who is gonna be able to pickout the kill zone of a inch target at 100 yds with 4 x mag. ? 

I personally like quite high mag .so for me my fx .25 cal (good for 90 yds ) i will shoot that range on 24 x mag (and do well ) .my sub 12 .177 airguns will be around 10 -12 x mag ..

Other fac airguns 16 x mag .

Close range rat gun i have 1.5 - 5 x mag scope .

A .17 hmr will be a 16 x mag scope .and a .22 lr ideally also around 16 -20  x mag .i dont shoot cf. 

But knowing the kill zone is larger and the bullet more devastating. Id probably go with a 4 - 16 x on a  .308 

I personally cant see a need for 32 x on a hunting gun of any cal . (Target guns yes .epecially ft airguns ) 

Edited by Ultrastu