Airgun purchase advice needed

Seadog1408

A friend has asked me about purchasing an air rifle as he knows I shoot, now, apart from a 1908 Lincoln jefferies, I haven't owned an air rifle for nigh on 30 years, so............

he would like one to take the occasional rabbit in his fields but also to do some garden target shooting with his 10 year old son, could the collective geniuses on here give me some views on a good springer and a good pcp set up for this?

TIA

mike

AA S200 pcp - more accurate than a very accurate thing and petite - ugly but sooooo capable and feels daft in the shoulder till you put a scope on it - then it all makes sense. Small springer capable of being used by a 10 year old with enough power to kill Rabbits cleanly is going to be more tricky, I would get the S200 as there's nothing that it cannot really do - Ultrastu will be along soon to extol the virtues of the smaller BSA's and his views are well worth considering.

7 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

AA S200 pcp - more accurate than a very accurate thing and petite - ugly but sooooo capable and feels daft in the shoulder till you put a scope on it - then it all makes sense. Small springer capable of being used by a 10 year old with enough power to kill Rabbits cleanly is going to be more tricky, I would get the S200 as there's nothing that it cannot really do - Ultrastu will be along soon to extol the virtues of the smaller BSA's and his views are well worth considering.

Good sound advice and either the Air Arms or BSA will do the job nicely 

16 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

How on earth did we manage all those years ago? Iron sights too so you learn how to shoot.

S200, ultra se or, if you can source one as they're harder to find these days, the Falcon Lighthunter. Given he's only ten, he'll be shooting with and adult anyway, who can help with loading safely, so I'd not discount a springer. Perhaps an HW 95k? Or the Hatsan striker, which I think is half a kilo lighter.

As it sounds like he and his son will be "casual users" I would suggest a springer would be less complicated and there is a lot of choice - I have an old Airsporter and a Mercury which have both taken lots of rabbits, but these days a I prefer a HW77. Any of these might be a bit heavy for a young lad. HW30 is supposed to be very good and would be better suited to a youngt person.

The HW30 only puts out 6ftlb as far as I recall English - the other 3 you ,mention are likely to be far too heavy. As for complicated? If the OP was concerned then the S200 could be used as a single shot and there's not much simpler than pulling back a bolt and popping a pellet in a hole - even easier if you buy the multi adaptor - filling is a doddle.

Edited by bruno22rf

As bruno says .the hw30 is a 6 fpe .gun (in .177 and about 8 in .22 ) not ideal for hunting .

Its also not a junior gun .its a german full sized target gun . Designed for indoor bell target etc .the lop is typically  14 inch herman  and the pistol grip swept back further than most other guns u could buy .its light and has an easier than most barrel cocking stroke 

The key to making it ideal for kids it to make a new stock for it .

On 28/10/2018 at 13:06, bruno22rf said:

I have the Mk1 AA S200  (I like the original two piece stock as the foreend is nice and square and sits on my shooting tables in my blinds ready for use) and can only say good things about it. Supremely accurate, very handy to use, particularly in a blind, nice trigger and I have never needed to go over the two ten shot mags in one sitting, but very easy to pump back up to 180.  Setting it up now to be my dedicated NV ratting gun.

Edited by Walker570

On 02/11/2018 at 18:21, ant.mass said:

i got a very nice Falcon in 22cal it has a great RH Thumhole stock it comes with +10 shot mag and a 3-9x40 ags Scope + HW Mod

its in great condition i also have 12ltr 232 bottle in test until 2020 i also have 3ltr 300bar bottle out test 

Now that is a lovely, lovely gun! Stunning stock on it

Depends on what your friend's expectations are. If expense isn't an issue then PCP is the easiest way to quick success (BSA Ultra or similar). Problem is you have the added expense and hassle of a bottle or pump. Springers are cheaper and less fuss to use but you have to learn to shoot it properly and some can be heavy. The HW30 is a lovely little rifle. It has just enough power for rabbits IF you can get close enough and would also be a good way of teaching stalking skills. Only the OP's friend will know if getting that close is doable.

Thinking about it if money really is no problem get the HW30 and a PCP "for the son to grow into".