Night vision

Walker570

A friend gave me a night vision kit last week as he was upgrading. There was a slight problem on the camera where the short tube had broken off, however I quickly solved that by cutting a short section of ally tube(old vaccuum cleaner pipe perfect fit) and a daub of J&B, good as new.  Then a sharp learning curve to get the camera to focus and evetually I got that sorted, then realised that 6 power was too high so had a change around of scopes to a 2.5 power which also had a thick reticule ..illuminated dot  ..much better  BUT having tried it out in the dark the light from the screen makes everywhere like Blackppool illuminations.  Has anyone else found a way to subdue this ...... Wellllll!!!  I remembered the old TV Cameras way back in the 50s and 60s and they had hoods over the screen, so I hunted around and found a box containing a distributer for a car we no longer have so check the box and it fitted perfectly....with a bit of sticky tape and reduced the viewing end by about a third.  Size  7 inches long by 4 1/4  by 2 3/4 inches.  Appears to do the job and will be testing tonight.     Any other ideas out there?   Now looking for a piece of thin ally 14 x 7 1/2 and I can then make a box which slides over the screen into place, no need for sticky tape.   Loads of sticky tape I know , but no point in fitting and making anything permanent till I have it right.  Will be very useful round farm yards and free gratis so cannot be picky.  Have a better one on order but this one means I can have one permanently mounted on an air rifle for ratting.   The elasticated cartridge holder works well for the battery holder.

001.JPG

Edited by Walker570

I can sort out some neutral density filter sheet that I use on my rigs to vastly dim down the screen brightness till its almost too dark to see the image in daylight, when you won't be using it after getting used to the adjustments. If you have a smartphone you'll likely know how a dim screen needs turning brighter in bright daylight, but dimming back down again at night if you don't want to squint at it. The material does that without changing the colours of the image.