Anyone watching the Grand Prix?

chrisjpainter

Saw some of the qualifying. I'm hoping having 2 Red Bulls at the front for a change, may slightly spice it up. Watching later. Not enough of other forms of motor sport action on main TV; rallycross, drag racing, off road, bangers and hotrods, drifting, speedway, grass track, there's so much else going on. World of Sport in the old days on Saturday afternoon, used to show more diversity. Pity to that so many race circuits are being shut down. Formula one is a million miles away for most motor sport enthusiasts. Ballistic money.

I was at Brands Hatch watching a round of the BRDC Classic touring cars, tin tops and saloon racers. Guys who have to pay for their own tyres and change their own engines. And then trailer their cars back home, which could be 400 miles away. Excellent racing in changing conditions and great opportunities to speak to the drivers and get some pictures. 

I got home to see the second half of a predictable procession that I can no longer invest in. Shame really. But well done to LH, he's made history. 

Edited by Pistol p

2 hours ago, Mungler said:

When I was in my teams and twenties I avidly watched F1 (Senna, Mansell, Prost, Rosberg etc) - there was real exciting edge of the seat racing and with ‘over taking’!

Todays version of F1 ‘racing’ does not interest me in the slightest.

This, I watched with my grandad most weekends when I was younger and you actually saw racing, now its just about how quick you can change tyres. 

On 29/10/2018 at 07:10, Pistol p said:

I was at Brands Hatch watching a round of the BRDC Classic touring cars, tin tops and saloon racers. Guys who have to pay for their own tyres and change their own engines. And then trailer their cars back home, which could be 400 miles away. Excellent racing in changing conditions and great opportunities to speak to the drivers and get some pictures. 

I got home to see the second half of a predictable procession that I can no longer invest in. Shame really. But well done to LH, he's made history. 

I don't recall the class name but the proper racing back in the day  at Brands Hatch was a hotchpot of mismatched cars and engines. I remember a Ford Anglia with a big Chevy engine in it. The driver had to sit in the back to drive it.

Another day at Brands was when Lulu came down. She had failed loads of driving tests and they made a film of her driving a formula three racing car at around 30mph with someone holding a chequered flag in front of her.

The most memorable day was when Lotus hired the track for the day. They turned up in a big closed transporter which contained two white cars with black circles numbered 41 and 47. The 41 was a formula 3 racing car and the 47 was a sports car later to be known as the Lotus Europa. They had four test drivers and managed to bend it at Druids after only a couple of laps. They put it back in the transporter and spent the rest of the morning tuning the Europa. After lunch they started driving it and again only a couple of laps went by when there was a bang. We all looked up to see a lick of flame coming from just behind the rear window (rear engine). The driver pulled it onto what was the small stock car track in the middle of the main track. He jumped out and the car started rolling. He went back and put the handbrake on and realised there was no fire extinguisher in the car. It wasn't a race day so no extinguisher or marshalls around the track and by the time they got fire extinguishers to it it was well gone. All fibreglass and aluminium and  magnesium wheels. All that was left were the headlamp rims, the chassis and nuts and bolts. A very expensive day for Lotus.

It’s like watching trains on track, all following team orders. 

Should be more diverse Motorsports on tv like years ago as others have said. 

I cant even watch the qualifying when they’re laying down a hot lap, never mind the actual race. 

Touring cars is much better watching. 

On 29/10/2018 at 06:34, Mungler said:

When I was in my teams and twenties I avidly watched F1 (Senna, Mansell, Prost, Rosberg etc) - there was real exciting edge of the seat racing and with ‘over taking’!

Todays version of F1 ‘racing’ does not interest me in the slightest.

Ditto! I started attending Grnd Prix back in 1968....they did startling things then, like overtaking, and driving non-stop from start to finsh!  By the middle 90,s it had started to get too predictable, and slightly boring! I,ve got about 50 videos, mostly F1, but some rare footage of racing in the 50 and 60,s etc. And British Touring Cars (that is exciting!)...I never watch them now, I think I,ll list them for sale on here!

On 03/11/2018 at 17:30, figgy said:

It’s like watching trains on track, all following team orders. 

Should be more diverse Motorsports on tv like years ago as others have said. 

I cant even watch the qualifying when they’re laying down a hot lap, never mind the actual race. 

Touring cars is much better watching. 

I much prefer TC also; at least I can relate to the cars. I used to really enjoy the German DTL back in the days of Eurosport. 

21 minutes ago, figgy said:

Scully I started to type about the German dtm series, it’s where Mika Hakinen went along with other top F1 drivers. Great racing to watch.

Knew DTL was wrong but its been so long since Ive seen it I couldnt recall its proper title! It is indeed great to watch. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I much prefer TC also; at least I can relate to the cars. I used to really enjoy the German DTL back in the days of Eurosport. 

If I could work out how to post pictures on this forum I'd happily share the pictures I've got with touring car greats. Rouse, Hoy, Cleland, Biela, Larini, Winkelhock, stuck, Radisich, Tarquini, Soper, Odor, Harvey, Rydell, Menu and the list goes on. Great days of great racing.

Used to watch touring cars in the mid seventies with my dad on tv when I was s child, all the cars with taped crosses on the headlights, some on three wheels in the corners and Austin minis sliding around. Great sport to watch as they swapped paint and crashed out. Same with the rallying back then.