thinking of getting a pup but what

scots lad i did mention the type of shooting i do on the beging of the post bit of everything really. but mostly pigeons walked up style shooting where is by go for a wander around the farms. also do a bit of wildfowling. i know realistically for a half decent lab your looking at 700 to 800. i would pay that if i wanted a pure lab and i don't need a rock solid steady working dog. just a companion and a dog that will coming out with me and the gun and that will hopefully retrieve down birds and rabbits. 

On 30/10/2018 at 16:15, Cant hit them all said:

scots lad i did mention the type of shooting i do on the beging of the post bit of everything really. but mostly pigeons walked up style shooting where is by go for a wander around the farms. also do a bit of wildfowling. i know realistically for a half decent lab your looking at 700 to 800. i would pay that if i wanted a pure lab and i don't need a rock solid steady working dog. just a companion and a dog that will coming out with me and the gun and that will hopefully retrieve down birds and rabbits. 

I think what your missing is the point that a dog that’s not rock steady is an absolute nuisance to have and you’d wish you didn’t have a dog at all. 

Dogs that run in, flush too far away and spook birds can ruin a day’s shooting. 

A good dog can make an average day into a great day. 

As a first gundog, get one that is easily trained and suits the shooting that you do. If your walking up get a hunt retriever like a spaniel although a lab will do light cover. 

If your mostly shooting fowl and pigeons and only do a bit of light cover walking around then think what the dog will do 90% of the time and get one that suites you. 

Lots of people will tell you get whatever you fancy it doesn’t matter, but why make it hard for yourself? 

People will tell you their dogs are great, but often the reality is a lot of dogs out there are poorly trained (if at all) and their owner will sings their praises as an amazing hunter, whilst they’re a hundred yards away flushing birds out of range not listening to them. 

Its always easier to insult a mans wife, than it is his dog 🤣

Most dogs can turn their hand to a job IF YOU PUT IN THE TIME AND EFFORT. But some are easier to train than others and easier on first time owners. 

PS - don’t get your mate the police dog handler to train it. I would compare that to asking the local swim coach to teach me how to do squats ... completely different ball game. 

The point of training the dog yourself is so you know how to do it, so when the training starts to slip you can put it right! 

Agree with Lloyd training the dog yourself you will get more benefit out of the dog As for breeds theres a million different opinions on what you should go for I Went for a Lab as 99 per cent of my shotgun shooting is in a duck or pigeon hide so take your time and think about what your shooting will be P.S THERES NO PERFECT BREED FOR ALL TYPES OF SHOOTING