Simon Reeves Mediterranean

getthegat

Anyone seen this series? Especially tonight, the state of the plastic in the Med. Frightening. Ridiculous. Worrying. This is becoming serious and somehow plastic needs to be changed for other ways of packaging. It's getting into the human food chain, even into our drinking water. The Med is not a third world area. Try and watch on catch up if you've not seen it.

Waiting for a quiet house (half an hour to go!) before getting stuck into the final part. His series are always good, but particularly this one. It's miserable to see how polluted the Med is. The marine life should be unparalleled for European countries, but over fishing and pollution are fast turning it into a desert. 

I like Simon Reeves programmes which I think are balanced and interesting.

There are really three MAJOR problems with plastic;

1. Reduced future usage by finding alternatives - this will take time as it is so widely used - and not just for packaging (although that is a big part)
  2. MUCH better disposal and/or re-cycling to prevent 'escape' into the wider environment.  This, especially re-cycling is poor now.
  3. Recover and clear up what is already in the environment

All are huge tasks, but (3) is especially hard as it is everywhere.

9 hours ago, getthegat said:

Anyone seen this series? Especially tonight, the state of the plastic in the Med. Frightening. Ridiculous. Worrying. This is becoming serious and somehow plastic needs to be changed for other ways of packaging. It's getting into the human food chain, even into our drinking water. The Med is not a third world area. Try and watch on catch up if you've not seen it.

He's very good, and informative.

Just seen the last episode. Very sad with the way that the med is detiorating but for me it just mirrors much of the decline of most societies. The guys who are planning to migrate into Europe were solely misguided in their beliefs about what Europe is able to offer them these days

Edited by yates

I don't know how each of us can make a difference, shopping is such an expense and we are all looking for ways to cut our bills and using individual green groceries or butchers is not always possible or practical. I still don't see why super markets can't use more paper bags and cardboard. You can buy loose veg, but they then provide rolls of plastic bags, why not paper?

Edited by getthegat
Misspelt word

4 hours ago, getthegat said:

but they then provide rolls of plastic bags, why not paper?

Ours (Morrisons) has recently moved to paper for loose veg, and encourages you (we permits anyway as I don't think there is a saving) you to bring your own container (e.g. reusable 'lock and lock' type box) for fresh meat, fish and deli.

It is pretty bad. But we can't beat ourselves up about it, the northern med coast line maybe trying to better itself but the southern and eastern areas really couldn't give a monkeys as they've seen a fair amount of conflict and bombing over the last dozen years or so. Its just not a priority where or how they dump their rubbish, they also know that we're mugs enough to sort it for them. 

3 hours ago, Pistol p said:

It is pretty bad. But we can't beat ourselves up about it, the northern med coast line maybe trying to better itself but the southern and eastern areas really couldn't give a monkeys as they've seen a fair amount of conflict and bombing over the last dozen years or so. Its just not a priority where or how they dump their rubbish, they also know that we're mugs enough to sort it for them. 

Being the right answer.