Beans, Bangers and Birds

Clodhopper

Having been preoccupied over the last few weeks pheasants, family duties and work, I have neglected my pigeon shooting hobby. However this past Friday saw me meet up with JDog for an afternoon chasing pigeons. 

The area we targeted was a farm with a large holding wood and 3 fields of very old Bean stubbles between 1\2 and 1 mile from this wood. Infact these bean stubbles had been worked and drilled with winter wheat. As others have observed this year, pigeons had  not bothered with these stubbles after harvest but they were now showing interest. All 3 of the fields had birds on but it was the furthest from the wood that seemed to be the most popular. In between this field and the middle bean stubble was a small spinney over which appeared to be the main flightline.

Our worry was that if we shot this position birds may well drop shirt on the field nearest to the holding wood, even though it was not their first choice on the menu. We decided that this field needed bangers to keep the birds off.

We set up in the spinney with a plan to shoot the birds on the outgoing line as they passed high over head and also intercept them as the returned on the same line. The wind was a strong northerly which we sheltered from in the lea of the spinney. We put some dead birds out in the wheat in front with 2 on the magnet.

Birds came almost immediately, some decoyed but most just altered course a little to look at the pattern. This provided brilliant sport as birds came high and fast with the wind in their tales. The down side was that as some swung around they were coming out of the bright sunlight and seemed to have the uncanny knack of ensuring the stayed in this line long enough to make.them impossible to see let alone shoot.

We had a good couple of hours fun. Missed some sitters and also shot some memorable ones. The dogs worked well picking up those that fell in the undergrowth and in an adjoining rape field. I was especially pleased with my wifes little cocker as he.has been promoted to pigeon shooting dog since.I.lost the old Lab.

We finished with 53 picked and a.couple we.were.unable.to find.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Clodhopper

Sitting here listening to the heavy rain hitting my windows, its refreshing to know you two are both enjoying some good pigeon shooting , pigeons are far and few between at the moment and from now on after all this rain , I hope to have more duck hanging up in my garage than pigeons .

Very nice report Clodhopper :good:

I am just waiting for the rain to stop so I can pay a visit to a regular spot where every year dozens of pigeons descend on a massive hawthorn hedge that runs the length of one of my perm fields, it is absolutely red with berries but the birds have not shown yet, but they always turn up, just waiting for the right time.