game dealers norfolk

hi there question do you fellow pigeon shooter in Norfolk know where I can sell fresh or frozen woodys 

there used to be plenty but every year seem to disappear or phone number no longer works

cheers des

16 hours ago, ditchman said:

found a lot of butchers will not take anything in fur or feather now ...some sort of regulation that to meet it requires a lot of investment on the butchers behalf.....

Its a bit sad for the big bag boys ditchman, I wonder where it will all end, farmers will still want pigeon shot.

There used to be a buyer in Postwick near Norwich called the Game Agency, ph.01603 432610,  but I phoned her 2 weeks ago, she offered me 5 pence each for frozen , Bambridges in Watton green near Wymondham 01963 881895 , will take them but last lot I took in I got 10 pence each for frozen, they pay a bit more for fresh but not much, last year I was getting 25 for frozen and 30 for fresh, in 1970 I was getting 40 pence each plus discount on all my cartridges,

The irony is as the value of shot birds plummets the cost of cartridges rockets up out of control, even the farmers cant afford to give out free cartridges for their regular pigeon men anymore.

If you are a reasonable shot you may get 150-180 birds with 250 shots, so even on the better numbers 180 birds will net you 18 pounds, where as your slab could have cost you anywhere from 45 up to 60 pounds, and that's not factoring in the travel costs and replacing equipment, we know why we do it and its not for the money that's for sure.

Last week I gave 50 to a friend who eats them, crowned 10 for my freezer , Marsh man took about 100 to Bambridge but barely covered petrol money, and I took about 30 small or damaged birds to the tip, It breaks my heart to see them wasted but what else can we do, I cant even find local pubs or restaurants  who would take them, and I just invested in another big freezer ready for the winter glut ( that's a joke ) but have not even bothered plugging it in, 

Its a strange coincidence that just when demand for them drops off, so do the numbers showing over my permissions, I have not had a decent day out in over 3 weeks, in fact the last time out, last Wednesday, I spent two hours watching various possible spots before giving up and going home without even getting my gun out of the slip, 

Perhaps its for the best, If they don't show I wont be shooting them so no wasted meat.I will just have to go back to the clay's ( again )

Edited by lakeside1000

6 minutes ago, la bala said:

Its a bit of a conundrum, If regular shooters refuse to shoot them and dump them, many permissions will change hands. Farmers will want them shot whatever, and there will i think, be people prepared to shoot them and leave them in the nearest ditch. Its a sad situation.

I couldn't even consider giving up my permissions when they are so hard to find, changing down to cheaper and perhaps more inferior cartridges is an option and in the meantime lets hope world food shortages will mean an eventual rise in bird value, fingers crossed.

Edited by lakeside1000

18 minutes ago, lakeside1000 said:

There used to be a buyer in Postwick near Norwich called the Game Agency, ph.01603 432610,  but I phoned her 2 weeks ago, she offered me 5 pence each for frozen , Bambridges in Watton green near Wymondham 01963 881895 , will take them but last lot I took in I got 10 pence each for frozen, they pay a bit more for fresh but not much, last year I was getting 25 for frozen and 30 for fresh, in 1970 I was getting 40 pence each plus discount on all my cartridges,

The irony is as the value of shot birds plummets the cost of cartridges rockets up out of control, even the farmers cant afford to give out free cartridges for their regular pigeon men anymore.

If you are a reasonable shot you may get 150-180 birds with 250 shots, so even on the better numbers 180 birds will net you 18 pounds, where as your slab could have cost you anywhere from 45 up to 60 pounds, and that's not factoring in the travel costs and replacing equipment, we know why we do it and its not for the money that's for sure.

Last week I gave 50 to a friend who eats them, crowned 10 for my freezer , Marsh man took about 100 to Bambridge but barely covered petrol money, and I took about 30 small or damaged birds to the tip, It breaks my heart to see them wasted but what else can we do, I cant even find local pubs or restaurants  who would take them, and I just invested in another big freezer ready for the winter glut ( that's a joke ) but have not even bothered plugging it in, 

Its a strange coincidence that just when demand for them drops off, so do the numbers showing over my permissions, I have not had a decent day out in over 3 weeks, in fact the last time out, last Wednesday, I spent two hours watching various possible spots before giving up and going home without even getting my gun out of the slip, 

Perhaps its for the best, If they don't show I wont be shooting them so no wasted meat.I will just have to go back to the clay's ( again )

so what do you do with the crows, magpies, squirrels, foxes and anything else that you shoot and cannot sell or eat?

I only shoot pigeons, that's all I've done since I was 15 and could carry a shotgun, never really been interested in anything else although I have tried several types of shooting, just never got excited about anything like I do when decoying pigeons.

If I do get a few crows I drop them off at the farm for the manager to string up over drilling's, 

I don't waste cartridges on magpies jays or squirrels unless asked to help clear them on specific shoots, but I rarely see any out on the marshes where I tend to spend most of my time.

If I came home and told the misses I had shot a fox or deer I think she would turn the gun on me so better safe than sorry

18 hours ago, Pigeonshooter12 said:

wild meat company Blaxhall suffolk give them a ring spoke to them yesterday 60p each for fresh 

Thats a useful contact, I am only 45 miles away from them which is only a little farther than my trip to Bambridge in watton green, pity the frozen price is still low but thats a great price for fresh.

60p a bird is a million dollars compared to what i'm getting.

Nowadays I take my fresh birds to local pubs/ gastro/ restaurants. The last lot i shot (46) were as fresh as a daisy and still warm. I pilled them in the motor and the head chef took them in exchange for a few pints of Lacons. A pigeon breast salad in this place is 11.95 !! 😂      

22 hours ago, Pigeonshooter12 said:

Yep was 50p last week now 60p ive never known to be this much ,but only paying 10p frozen though

The price for shot pigeons were always at the height during the game shooting season mainly because pigeon shooters had less access to land to go on and the demand was greater than the supply , although having said that , I have never had 60p or 50p come to that in Norfolk , I have got some receipts from the 80s for 40p fresh and 30p frozen , they will and do go up and down in price but I doubt if we will see 30p for frozen pigeons in the near future or for ever come to that :no: