hugh hickey

I would also get it rebarreled.... then of course it is choices...choices as to what calibre.  Although I personally do not like 243s if you are just mainly foxing with the occasional foray for a deer then that calibre will do the job.  IF you reload then as I mentioned in another thread have it rebarreled to 257 Roberts. You can neck down 7x57 cases(readily available) if you cannot find factory loads for it. Will shoot bullet weights from 60gr up to 120gr and will push the 120grs out at close to 2800fps, more than adequate to handle any deer in the UK.   The little 60gr RN is devastating on foxes and I have pushed it out to 3800fps. Not a long range bullet but covers most foxing situations.

11 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Groups have opened up is normally a good indicator 

99% of the time that's just a  simple cleaning issue. A good session with a proper copper remover from somewhere like HPS will sort that out. A quick wipe through with Hoppes doesn't clean out the fouling and it just builds up. Go on the HPS website and look at their cleaning section. They really do know what they are talking about. You would be surprised just how much effort serious international level target shooters spend on cleaning their barrels

In normal use its "virtually" impossible to actually shoot out a Sako barrel unless you are taking it down the range every week and putting hundreds of rounds through it.

On the other hand, I have seen probably hundreds of rifles brought in that have never ever been properly cleaned 

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, hugh hickey said:

Grouping is very bad I took it to Cambridge gun club so the resident gun smith could have a good look at it he put the camera up it and the rifliling is worn out I only bought it in February second hand  from a gun dealer only shot about 100rounds through it 

I understand that Lothar Walther do a pre threaded, pre chambered ready to fit replacement barrel for Sakos for about £400 plus fitting as Scobydog said

Edited by Vince Green

dont you dare ditch the &%. one of the best actions ever. you get it re-barreled with a good barrel, but a good smith. and it will out last you.  .243 will still do you well.  you will so regret selling and buying something like a Remington or browning after you have had all these years with quality of the sako75.

cus your cars tires are worn out you dont bin the car.