Iconic Wild fowling Property Up For Sale .

marsh man

If ever I wanted my lottery ticket to come up trumps it would be now , in our local paper this morning ( E D P ) it had a two page spread about the East Lighthouse at Sutton Bridge that is now being put on the market for £600K , I had the privilege of looking round the inside of the lighthouse a few years ago and if I had a choice of where I could spend my remaining years then this would be it , not one of the most comfortable houses I have been in but the scenery and the history of the house more than make up for the lack of comforts , although looking at today's photos it do look as though a lot of money have been spent since I looked around

As the estate agents were saying , Its just wonderful really , its incredibly peaceful , You walk in there and some how or other a cloak goes round you , At the end of the day Iv'e not found a more friendly building in my life .....................

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

If ever I wanted my lottery ticket to come up trumps it would be now , in our local paper this morning ( E D P ) it had a two page spread about the East Lighthouse at Sutton Bridge that is now being put on the market for £600K , I had the privilege of looking round the inside of the lighthouse a few years ago and if I had a choice of where I could spend my remaining years then this would be it , not one of the most comfortable houses I have been in but the scenery and the history of the house more than make up for the lack of comforts , although looking at today's photos it do look as though a lot of money have been spent since I looked around

As the estate agents were saying , Its just wonderful really , its incredibly peaceful , You walk in there and some how or other a cloak goes round you , At the end of the day Iv'e not found a more friendly building in my life .....................

Read something about it yesterday. It's a property developer that selling, the couple have had it since 2010. The next thing they say that needs doing to it is a visitor centre. Sadly, with those sort of things come those opposed to wildfowling and then what..........................?

It is indeed Scott's lighthouse - although I think he probably rented it from what was then the river board. It was built as a worker's cottage and as a marker - not a lighthouse - at the end of the flushing wall. It was occupied by a board worker before Scott's time and the kids would walk down the bank as far as Proctors' farm then a horse and cart would convey all the youngsters to school in Sutton Bridge.The major add-ons - the studio etc. were constructed for Scott. It has been and still probably is a money-pit.

When Scott was there the it stood out on the salt marsh with the sea on three sides at high water. it was also very bleak for he would not have a tree on the place.

It is a pretty but sad place today, with the marsh having been reclaimed which has left it some way from the position it once enjoyed. However, it has memories for many people. The first time I went afloat it was from the East Lighthouse and I found it quite a moving experience.

18 minutes ago, Velocette said:

Its not the one that used to belong to Peter Scott is it,,opposite Gedney Drove End ? I had a walk round there a couple of years ago looking at the locations that Kenzie Thorpe mentions in his book. If it is that one I can understand why you like it.

Yes, the East Lighthouse at Sutton Bridge.

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

I had the privilege of looking round the inside of the lighthouse a few years ago and if I had a choice of where I could spend my remaining years then this would be it , not one of the most comfortable houses I have been in but the scenery and the history of the house more than make up for the lack of comforts ,

Stunning location. 

Stair lift would be fun :lol:

2 hours ago, Penelope said:

Read something about it yesterday. It's a property developer that selling, the couple have had it since 2010. The next thing they say that needs doing to it is a visitor centre. Sadly, with those sort of things come those opposed to wildfowling and then what..........................?

It is already owned by an anti! 

I'll be very interested to see who purchases it, it's a high price,  certainly more than any wildfowling club could manage I think? 

As a regular in that area, there hasn't been alot going on in the lighthouse grounds for a while, it's rare to see anyone there! 

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Get out and buy some more lottery tickets!:good:

I did buy all the ones our village post office had and luckily I did get get a winner :yahoo:, but sadly the £10 wont go very far towards the asking price :no:.

5 hours ago, oowee said:

Stunning location. 

Stair lift would be fun :lol:

Certainly is , the stair lift might be a awkward with the building being round and taper towards the top , but there you go , where's there's a will there is a way :good:

8 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Everything considered it doesn't seem a bad price but I am not sure how much it needs spending on it. I thought that I read that it was in need of an "ongoing programme of renovation" so does that mean loads of dosh needed after the purchase.

Nice iconic building though 👍

Youre a property tycoon Harry and a wildfowler so dip your hand in that deep pocket 

6 hours ago, Velocette said:

Here's a picture of it in 1935 taken from Scott's book "Eye Of The Wind".

Sutton lighthouse.jpg

Good photo considering it was over 80 years ago , a lot of water have been up and down the Nene since then , 

Times couldn't have been that hard in the 30s with two cars parked outside the house 

19 hours ago, marsh man said:

Good photo considering it was over 80 years ago , a lot of water have been up and down the Nene since then , 

Times couldn't have been that hard in the 30s with two cars parked outside the house 

An interesting array of geese in the photo, Greylag, Pinkfoot, Lesser Whitefront, Swan, Bar Headed, Emperor and Snow.

7 hours ago, Penelope said:

An interesting array of geese in the photo, Greylag, Pinkfoot, Lesser Whitefront, Swan, Bar Headed, Emperor and Snow.

Very observant Penelope , I did spot a drake Shoveler and a couple of Shelducks or maybe Sheldrakes lurking about in the background, your eyes are better than mine Paul so you might be able to tell weather they are ducks or drakes  😊

The three U K Grey geese you mentioned could have been provided by Mc Kenzie Thorpe who used to catch them in mist nets on the Wash , I wonder if the wildfowl collection in the photo could be at a later date the start of the now massive wild fowl collection at Slimbridge :hmm:

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

Very observant Penelope , I did spot a drake Shoveler and a couple of Shelducks or maybe Sheldrakes lurking about in the background, your eyes are better than mine Paul so you might be able to tell weather they are ducks or drakes  😊

The three U K Grey geese you mentioned could have been provided by Mc Kenzie Thorpe who used to catch them in mist nets on the Wash , I wonder if the wildfowl collection in the photo could be at a later date the start of the now massive wild fowl collection at Slimbridge 

I believe the collection was split up when Scott joined the Navy.

Sheldrake on the right, but sorry cannot help with the sex of the pair of Ruddies.

If you check the book, PS was starting to try and catch birds himself by netting three years before that photo. He and Michael Bratby were also in touch with other wealthy men such as David Haig-Thomas and Hugh Wormald who like them kept wildfowl. Christopher Dalgety probably did the same - certainly after the war he bred and sold wildfowl.

The flight netters did not use mist nets. Their nets were much bigger and with a surprisingly large mesh. The last hurrah for flight netting was WWII when you could sell anything with feathers for good money (unrationed), but it was an indiscriminate method and finally finished with the 1954 act. Willock says a little about it in "The Gun-Punt Adventure".

Flight netting seems to have been a full time trade on its own, and I have never heard Kenzie's name connected with it. I know one very old chap who is still alive who recalls helping carry the long poles down the marsh when he was a lad.