Land Rover Freelander 2.0 TD4 Adventurer SUV 5dr Diesel Manual

la bala

Don't run one myself but one thing that is a common problem is the rear diff.

Land Rover used sub standard pinion bearings in the diff, listen out for a drone/whine from the rear. It's usually a full diff swap, easier. The haldex oil pump is another one, gets blocked filters then pump fails. 

There's a firm that do replacement diffs and pumps, exchange basis, with bigger bearing that can handle the torque load levels and sort the haldex but for the life of me I can't remember who they are!? Bell engineering i think?

http://www.bellengineering.co.uk/freelander-2-products/

16 minutes ago, B725 said:

How I read it, it's the 2 litre td4 that's the FL1. I have had my FL2 for 8 years and I have only sent £50 in repairs its been far the best of 5 Land rovers I've had. You get good and bad in all car's, look at www.freel2.com

Doh! Read it as a FL2.

Used to have a 3 door Td4, 52 plate. Sister still has it, done 120k and still going strong.

Viscous coupling is a common problem, can cause the rear diff and/or the IRD to fail if it's not working but there's loads on youtube, Google on how to check if it's ok. 

Know a lad who bought one that had the prop removed because of this, diff blanked off so only front wheel drive, only found out when it snowed!

Crankcase breather is another part that gets over looked. Filter gets blocked increases pressure in the engine forcing oil out, dipstick or turbo (expensive), and reducing performance. The hose to atmosphere for this is right at the back of the engine, next to the bulkhead.

There's a upgrade for this you can fit in no time and saves the hassle of changing the filter, again YouTube, Google for the kit and how to. 

Put a decent set of tyres on it and they're very capable off road and the hill decent control is a great help if needed. 

My Freelander 2 TD4 is just over 10 years old. I bought it from new. The only 'big' jobs that I've had to pay out on, apart from general wear and tear, was for a rear shock absorber, and new timing belt kit. I changed the front/back discs (by choice) for a better make, when changing the brake shoes/pads a few years ago. I've got General Grabber AT 2's on it. I do more road driving than off road, but it's great on both.

I had a 2004 TD4 - bought it at 107000 just sold it at 164000 after 4 years pretty much daily use with almost no problems. 40mpg with a steady right foot but it hated supermarket fuel so I ran it on Shell v-power. Had in that time a new alternator and battery, an ABS sensor that was a b****** to remove (apparently as I did not do it). Front pads, 2 new tyres and an aircon regas. Purchased by someone into Freelanders who had 2 blown head gaskets on petrol engine versions so I guess avoid those - you should be fine with the TD4. I don'y know about the TD4 in the FL2 but the TD4 in the FL1 has a timing chain which I did not touch as it was not broke.

1 hour ago, B725 said:

Even the rice burners go wrong 

No car is infallible, consumer reports just tend to put Toyota at the top year after year along with Honda, Nissan etc in terms of reliability ... Some will be un/lucky - I'm sure someone out there owns a rangerover that's never gone wrong, equally someone out there has a Toyota that's been a dud since day dot.

Edited by AdamSouthEast

31 minutes ago, AdamSouthEast said:

No car is infallible, consumer reports just tend to put Toyota at the top year after year along with Honda, Nissan etc in terms of reliability ... Some will be un/lucky - I'm sure someone out there owns a rangerover that's never gone wrong, equally someone out there has a Toyota that's been a dud since day dot.

I totally agree with you it's just a tounge in cheek comment as I am on my 5th Landrover👍😃

From a mechanic who used to work on land rovers, he said about the F2 as others have said , they used undersized bearings in the diff on early ones, parking brake can cause issues with rust build up, some have issues with oil leaks from rocker cover breather, and he said he would not hesitate owning one, SD4 is 190hp as well!