Best Gauge, Best load, best choke,

Although I have been Pigeon Shooting over decoys for 28 years or so I wouldnt consider myself to be a better than average shot.

Some times very good, some times very bad..

I will never pre-consider which gun to take with me for a days shooting from my collection

It could be a 12, 16 or 20g, sometimes I just grab the nearest which has a colour tape around the top of the barrel coded for the cartridge colours (red for 12, Blue for 16, yellow for 20)

The 16 g is s/s 29ins barrels fully choked... the 12 g is 30 ins 0/U 1/2 & 1/4 and the 20g 30ins 0/U full & 1/2...

What I would like to know is what members would use in terms of best Gauge, best load and best choke for general pigeon shooting. (I dont want to know what make of gun as to some extent that is superfluous)

Thanks,

FM

I either use my 28" Auto with 1/4 choke and 30 gram 6,s

or my O/U 28" fixed choke 1/4 and 3/4 with the same 30 gram 6,s.

Personally i only ever use a shot size smaller than a 6 on clays as i once had no option but to use 28 gram 7.5,s on pigeon and ended up with too many runners.

Red

You must be colour blind.

Those things flying over your house are pink, not grey, because they are pigs, not pigeons.

FM

I use 12bore, 32gms 61/2 through either 1/4 & 1/2 or open and 1/4 choke dependant on how the pigeon are presenting themselves. If I take the semi, it usually has 1/4 choke in it.

webber

• 2 weeks later...

Through my auto I use nothing but 3/4 choke- Winchester westerns 32 gram 5/6s, Gamebore Buffalos 36 gram 6s and RC4 36 gram 5s. Top cartridges that produce very few runners right out to 60 yards. At the end of the day its up to the individual on choke and cartridge choice, and what gives you confidence.

Not sure about using skeet chokes through a semi as the 2nd and 3rd barrel will produce runners no matter what your shooting ability.

I was shooting with a bloke today who shot with a DT10 with skeet and skeet chokes 32gram 7s and he missed nowt and everyone was stone dead he just limited himself to 35 yards. I am well impresed threw my ideas of nothing else but 32 gram 5s out the window.

Guest Mr Pieman

leon,

I forgot to change my chokes after s'keeting' the other day and found myself in a pigeon hide with the skeets still in. I had a great day and killed as many (if not more) stone dead than usual! As you said, just shorten the range and it seems to make very little difference.

Having said that I once shot with a trap gun (full and full) and missed almost every bird LOL!! :rolleyes: :blink: :*) :*) :*)

PP

Guest Mr Pieman

leon,

my old pc went tits up and I lost my password and couldn't find the e mail address William sent my new ones to :*) It was easier to just start again :rolleyes:

I was going to ask William if he could 're assemble' me as PP, but haven't got round to it yet :*)

PP