Rememberance

armourer103

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, armourer103 said:

If you can read this, thank a teacher, the fact you are reading it in ENGLISH thank a soldier.

Lest We Forget

Edited cos Wymberley beat me to it.

It's remembrance. doh.gif 

Edited by Eyefor

Bit early, but let's get this back on track rather than spelling lessons.

To Them We Owe.

Happened today, and in the past
Sacrifice made, for ours to last.

Wives to widows, families torn
Gave their lives, for them we mourn.

Gone forever, souls are lost
Freedom comes, with this cost.

Enjoy the life they did preserve
Fate they suffered, did not deserve.

On this day, lest we forget
To them we owe, our life in debt. 

I was at a War Memorial the other week viewing the names of the fallen. They just seemed to go on and on. Particularly poignant was two surnames the same. Can you imagine how it would feel to lose a loved one, let alone two? Probably only boys too. It's certainly more than I could bear.

My boy doing his bit for Queen and Country. I pray he never has to make that kind of sacrifice. 

20181014_122227.jpg.66707ea0865089f0699ac967f51a12a1.jpg

I'm uncomfortable with this modern (and it is modern ) obsession with  Remembrance Day. From what I remember and know of the people who actually fought both the first and second wars, they'd have been deeply embarrassed by the extremely 'unBritish' (in the traditional sense) and mawkish sentimentality that pervades the whole business. What makes it even more ironic is that the generations doing the 'remembering' (although quite what they're remembering seeing as they never knew anyone who was there) have, over the last 30+ years, systematically destroyed the culture and social cohesion of the country that my father and grandfather and others of their generations crossed the channel to defend. It's all very saddening.

3 hours ago, Retsdon said:

I'm uncomfortable with this modern (and it is modern ) obsession with  Remembrance Day. From what I remember and know of the people who actually fought both the first and second wars, they'd have been deeply embarrassed by the extremely 'unBritish' (in the traditional sense) and mawkish sentimentality that pervades the whole business. What makes it even more ironic is that the generations doing the 'remembering' (although quite what they're remembering seeing as they never knew anyone who was there) have, over the last 30+ years, systematically destroyed the culture and social cohesion of the country that my father and grandfather and others of their generations crossed the channel to defend. It's all very saddening.

Bad post IMO. 👎

Just because we don't know them personally, doesn't mean their sacrifice was any the smaller. My great-grandfather fought in WW1. I never met him though, so perhaps it doesn't count?

Remembrance Day is to pay respect to the thousands who gave their all in war, not just WW1. 

It's them that have given the current generation the right to be disrespectful if they so wish. 

Edited by walshie

11 hours ago, walshie said:

I was at a War Memorial the other week viewing the names of the fallen. They just seemed to go on and on. Particularly poignant was two surnames the same. Can you imagine how it would feel to lose a loved one, let alone two? Probably only boys too. It's certainly more than I could bear.

My boy doing his bit for Queen and Country. I pray he never has to make that kind of sacrifice. 

20181014_122227.jpg.66707ea0865089f0699ac967f51a12a1.jpg

Next time you're down this way, have a look at the war memorial by the car park close to the market in Tavistock. Also,you might find that a visit to the National Memorial Arboretum is a somewhat moving experience.