Rememberance

armourer103

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went across to Normandy for the 50th anniversey, and it was one of the saddest moments of my life. The big cemetrys are overwelming so many headstones so beautifully looked after and the small crossroads cemetrys dotted around the countryside. It bought to me a hugh sence of saddness that young men and women, who led ordinary lives had to go forth and fight for the rights we hold so dear to day. Where they all heros, I think that would be to strong of word (my Granfather did not see himself as one). However their Bravery can never be questioned. I will wear my poppy (there is only one colour to wear) and I will quietly reflect on the sacfiices other have made and are still making.

23 hours ago, henry d said:

Interesting post and sums up a lot of what I feel too, thanks for posting.

What then is a hero and who decides? One can be in awe of someone who stands firm in the face of danger of whatever kind, but is it heroic? Laches was asked what is courage by Socrates and gave the previous answer, Socrates countered that a soldier who stood firm out of reckless confidence could be killed or get others harmed when he could save himself for another time when the outcome may mean victory. Could it be that we label those who were forced, in one way or another, to go over the top to almost certain death, heroes so that we expunge our guilt at asking them to do such a thing on our behalf? I certainly feel guilt that Lt. Gavazzi of the Argentinian air force died (shot down by his own forces) after damaging our ship and I`m not sure why, yet his family probably think he is a hero for facing the fate of his colleagues in the first wave of aircraft.

Concerning warfare in the present day; I would not want to be involved in it. The horrendousness of the middle east wars and the unthinkableness of a N/B/C war makes me shudder and it is sad that we cannot forgive or forget the past.

Will reply at length once back home Henry, just snatching moments at work presently. 

I simply think the term hero is overused nowadays to the extent its value has been diminished somewhat. Some refer to our national football team as heroes, and I've heard Lewis Hamiltons' exploits described as heroic....really? 

Simon Weston is referred to as a Falklands war hero, he isn't. I could regard his fight back to recovery as heroic, but I also know someone who was badly let down by the MOD on his road to recovery ( his wounds were completely mental ) and committed suicide as a result. Tragic and extremely enraging, but heroic? 

Robert Lawrence was regarded as an embarrassment by the regiment he loved, following his fight to recovery, and became very disillusioned and embittered by it all. His story is amazing, but not heroic. 

My Mam had four brothers, three of whom served in WW2, and all returned. All would have laughed to be described as heroes.

I have the utmost respect for all those who served and were killed in both world wars, and I'll be wearing my poppy as a mark of that respect.

Edited by Scully

My Dad....the un-military-looking, balding cove in the back row with a pen in his pocket. The photographer's stamp on the back says the picture was taken on 10th March 1946 in Bergamo in Italy. Aside from my father I recognize his friend whose book I mentioned further up the thread, (he's in the front row to the right of the dog)  but who the others are I have no idea. I'm  certain though that it's a group shot of the officers of the 1/4 KOYLI - on the original photo with a magnifying glass I can see that everyone except my Dad is wearing the regimental horn and ram's head badges on their lapels and the 49th division 'polar bear' shoulder patches. My father wasn't  KOYLI, but he was the 1/4th's battalion M.O. from when they landed D Day+4 until at least when this pic was taken, so I suppose they considered him one of their own by that time and invited him along. It would be nice to know more, and looking back I regret that I didn't ask my Dad more about this stuff, but quite honestly I never got the feeling that he wanted to talk about it. Anyway, too late now. 

1325401290_KOYLI2.jpg.b71a52c5746cec003dd935589d8c2fff.jpg

And....my Granddad

CharlesPrice.jpg.51c4776a72c394e7d7b47de754e8e35e.jpg

Edited by Retsdon

Really good photos.

I realise what probably are the older generation on here are saying about the fact that the survivors of world war two wouldn't have made all this "fuss" on Remembrance day and its not surprising given they lived through it and with it the rest of their lives.

Neither of my grandparents ever said a lot about the war, we took gas masks and ration books into school as kids, saw some pictures.

but i don't think we should ever forget what happened otherwise the same mistakes could be made again.

It doesn't matter whether you think they were heroes or just doing their duty, and the conflicts since, The Falklands, Yugoslavia the middle east to name a few, my daughter asked for 50p today so she can buy her poppy from school tomorrow, which i think is great, obviously the more money raised the better.

And the fact that a generation that will likely not know anyone involved in world war two will ask questions about what happened.

Wear your poppy with pride.

I sat once a had a long chat to an elderly gentleman in the Low Countries.  I was one of those days at a reception I was in Service Dress have just carried the Regimental colour through the town into the church and then to the war graves where another service was held.  

He comented on my medals and we discussed the tours I done and he comented how brave we where the way we where fighting in Iraq and he wouldn’t fancy that.  

We talked about his time in the Army and he showed me his blazer as we discussed the fighting he mentioned the worse thing was finding a concentration camp (Belsen)  he wasn’t the first there but arrived late afternoon as he told.  As I looked back at his blazer there was a medal for gallantry as well as service medals.  He didn’t feel he was a hero, he must have done something heroic to get that medal though.  

I have also hosted Sir Tasker Watkins VC with out doubt a man who committed some very heroic acts and in my mind is a hero, again denied being a hero. 

Most people who have served don’t believe they are hero’s however on the 11th I will again don my blazer medals and beret I will pay my respects to all who have fallen, and especially remember those who die that served with especially those I commanded.  I will go to RBL bar and have a few beers a swing a lantern as I remember those brave men and women. 

Edited by welshwarrior

I was in work on Friday in clinic and had just bought pt in for a consultation. Suddenly hears the tones of what I thought sounded like Dame Vera Lynn outside, this was accompanied by many voices singing along, almost choir like. It was quite audible and myself and the patient appeared a little perplexed. It suddenly dawned on me that it in the grounds of our work we have a memorial to the gentleman and ladies  who served in ww2 . I said to the pt that it will be a service for remembrance day coming.

After i had finished up the consultation I nipped outside to find half a school of kids ranging from the ages of about 5-18 i would say. They had a choir singing along to the 1940's songs and they had laid a large poppy reef on the memorial. It was very moving and wonderful to see so many young people paying their respects and they all appeared to be engaged. I could not stay outside long but the service lasted about 30 minutes by the sounds of it. 

atb

7diaw

33 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

I was in work on Friday in clinic and had just bought pt in for a consultation. Suddenly hears the tones of what I thought sounded like Dame Vera Lynn outside, this was accompanied by many voices singing along, almost choir like. It was quite audible and myself and the patient appeared a little perplexed. It suddenly dawned on me that it in the grounds of our work we have a memorial to the gentleman and ladies  who served in ww2 . I said to the pt that it will be a service for remembrance day coming.

After i had finished up the consultation I nipped outside to find half a school of kids ranging from the ages of about 5-18 i would say. They had a choir singing along to the 1940's songs and they had laid a large poppy reef on the memorial. It was very moving and wonderful to see so many young people paying their respects and they all appeared to be engaged. I could not stay outside long but the service lasted about 30 minutes by the sounds of it. 

atb

7diaw

Sounds great mate, I'm so glad the schools still get involved and it hasn't been deemed un pc and stopped.

We played rugby in York yesterday and had a minutes silence before the game, something I always find very proud, when players and spectators alike respect the silence.

This morning we were at the cenotaph in Leyland and there was a great turn out as always.

13 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Sounds great mate, I'm so glad the schools still get involved and it hasn't been deemed un pc and stopped.

We played rugby in York yesterday and had a minutes silence before the game, something I always find very proud, when players and spectators alike respect the silence.

This morning we were at the cenotaph in Leyland and there was a great turn out as always.

Yes K

plenty going on in schools locally last week and Liverpool today  in relation to remembrance day. Lots of parents and colleagues talking about events. Just caught me off guard the other day as I was not expecting that!

It sounds like it was a wonderful celebration at Leyland, I take it the kids were with you?

Speak soon.

atb

P

Agree with original post we should all remember the people who never came back But the problem i have living here in Northern Ireland is with the years of sectarian violence between both communities A Lot of people dont wear the poppy Thousands of irish men fought in both wars My own Great Grandfather served in the 16th Irish Division WW1 and was wounded during the battle of the Somme Trying to capture village of Ginchy I Usually dont post on political posts but you have respect everybody no matter what