Potatoe famine.....

ditchman

Been up the chip shop this eve....having a chinwag with the lady who owns it ...and 3 others....she has been holding the price down on chips for the last months...and was saying she will have to post an increase soon...........

REASON..........

the french are all over east anglia at the moment buying spuds straight out of the ground.....crates are forked onto lorries and off they go to france.....this is what the potatoe merchant is saying...and talking to the farmers....this will go on for a while.....then....the farmers will put their spuds into storage and watch the price continue to rocket....this time last year she was paying £5-6-7 quid a bag.....this year it is approaching 12-15 quid a bag.............the merchant rekons he wont be able to get any spuds for a period of 8-10 weeks...or until March...then the farmers will start releasing them...so the sheds are empty when the new crop comes in...........

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A nice spud story!

Back in the early 80s a farming friend of mine ploughed a field that had been grass since WW2, all it had been used for was grass, hay and putting cows on. It got ploughed, slathered with manure and then planted with Marfona. He was driving the tractor, I was drafted in to run the harvester.

Within the first few rows we were dumbfounded, the spuds were HUGE! I think the figure mentioned at the time was over 24 tons per acre. When it came to bagging we had one customer who used to take 10 bags at a time but asked specifically for "big ones" so we obliged. Each 52lb (25kg) contained only 10 or 11 spuds. 

7 minutes ago, timmytree said:

A nice spud story!

Back in the early 80s a farming friend of mine ploughed a field that had been grass since WW2, all it had been used for was grass, hay and putting cows on. It got ploughed, slathered with manure and then planted with Marfona. He was driving the tractor, I was drafted in to run the harvester.

Within the first few rows we were dumbfounded, the spuds were HUGE! I think the figure mentioned at the time was over 24 tons per acre. When it came to bagging we had one customer who used to take 10 bags at a time but asked specifically for "big ones" so we obliged. Each 52lb (25kg) contained only 10 or 11 spuds. 

Sure they weren’t sugar Beet?? 😀

36 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Been up the chip shop this eve....having a chinwag with the lady who owns it ...and 3 others....she has been holding the price down on chips for the last months...and was saying she will have to post an increase soon...........

REASON..........

the french are all over east anglia at the moment buying spuds straight out of the ground.....crates are forked onto lorries and off they go to france.....this is what the potatoe merchant is saying...and talking to the farmers....this will go on for a while.....then....the farmers will put their spuds into storage and watch the price continue to rocket....this time last year she was paying £5-6-7 quid a bag.....this year it is approaching 12-15 quid a bag.............the merchant rekons he wont be able to get any spuds for a period of 8-10 weeks...or until March...then the farmers will start releasing them...so the sheds are empty when the new crop comes in...........

In the new Co op at Harleston today the Kettle crisps were £2.55 a bag , and no prizes for guessing what the main ingredients are , this time last year the spuds were a fiver a bag or three for a tenner , this year they are £9.99 for 25 kilos , and some places so I am told are dearer than that.

Well worth walking behind the harvester this year . 😊

It wouldn’t surprise me if the cost has gone up following the dry summer we’ve had. I don’t think there is a famine.

Quality grain has gone up £40 per tonne from last year. (By quality I mean straw, twig and gravel free). 

It was being traded at £200 a tonne at harvest time in the north east. 

35 years ago I worked on a farm casual like, I used to work on the spud harvester and it was amazing what  would come up on the belt, rats, mice, small rabbits, moles, stones, pottery, voles. Oh yes and spuds. (apologies I digress) My job was to remove small stones and chats from the belt. Used to then tip them out of the hopper onto a belt back in the barn then bag them 40 per tonne on a pallet. The farmer used to hold about 60-70% of the crop until after Christmas and he used to say the price would rocket.

I can see it now , Ditchies  workshop & fast food emporium.

Our motto.

Machines fixed while you scoff yer chips!

16 hours ago, marsh man said:

In the new Co op at Harleston today the Kettle crisps were £2.55 a bag , and no prizes for guessing what the main ingredients are....

WARNING.

USELESS FACT MOMENT.

It takes 16 tonnes of potates to produce 1 ton of crisps (allegedly & according to Steve Wright's "factoids" c/o BBC Radio 2).

So crisps might become bloomin' expensive and £2.55 might seem a bargain?

17 hours ago, marsh man said:

In the new Co op at Harleston today the Kettle crisps were £2.55 a bag , and no prizes for guessing what the main ingredients are , this time last year the spuds were a fiver a bag or three for a tenner , this year they are £9.99 for 25 kilos , and some places so I am told are dearer than that.

Well worth walking behind the harvester this year . 😊

So the value of the tatties in a 150g bag of tatties is the grand sum of 6 pence? .

4 hours ago, Eyefor said:

WARNING.

USELESS FACT MOMENT.

It takes 16 tonnes of potates to produce 1 ton of crisps (allegedly & according to Steve Wright's "factoids" c/o BBC Radio 2).

'nother useless fact.......................walkers rekon one potatoe will make one bag of crisps..........

christ ther must be some profit in it somewhere..........

5 hours ago, Eyefor said:

WARNING.

USELESS FACT MOMENT.

When I peel spuds they are washed first! If the skins are ok I then fry the skins to make home made crisps! My son and the neighbours lad used to polish them off if I turned my back. No reason to waste the skin on a spud! 

20 hours ago, markm said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if the cost has gone up following the dry summer we’ve had. I don’t think there is a famine.

Quality grain has gone up £40 per tonne from last year. (By quality I mean straw, twig and gravel free). 

It was being traded at £200 a tonne at harvest time in the north east. 

How times change ? , one year on the farm where I worked they had that many spuds they filled the barns up to the rafters with spuds they couldn't sell , in those days they had the Potato Marketing Board that stepped in when the market hit rock bottom , I believe at the time it was 30 odd quid a ton , once the price fell below that there officials moved on the estate with lances and sprayed a dye over the whole lot and they ended up going for stock feed .

It certainly wont happen this year .

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:45, ditchman said:

REASON..........

REASON .....

The whole of Europe (particularly the main HAFPAL growing area) 'suffered' a similar summer to ourselves. The crop is down in terms of both average length and quantity. There will be additional quality issues caused by the stress the plants were under during those hot days, and many crops have suffered from secondary growth. There's a huge amount of variation between irrigated and unirrigated crops, along with planting dates and soil types. As timmytree has already indicated ... some crops perform particularly well they've followed pigs of other 'manure' producers.

We won't run out of spuds, but there will be an impact on price and quality.

On 31/10/2018 at 18:49, marsh man said:

How times change ? , one year on the farm where I worked they had that many spuds they filled the barns up to the rafters with spuds they couldn't sell , in those days they had the Potato Marketing Board that stepped in when the market hit rock bottom , I believe at the time it was 30 odd quid a ton , once the price fell below that there officials moved on the estate with lances and sprayed a dye over the whole lot and they ended up going for stock feed .

It certainly wont happen this year .

I remember that ! about 1970 we even riddled them but loaded  them via a bale conveyor belt with sides straight into a large artic tippers, then poured a blue dye over them with a watering can... I also remember the price of spuds at the farm gate in 76 after the drought being a tad high, no irrigation in those days

1 minute ago, islandgun said:

Edited by islandgun