Importing parts from USA

paulg26

I have found a part for my ancient Parker Hale shotgun in the USA.  The company won't ship outside USA.  I have tried a parcel forwarding company but they won't handle gun parts.

Can a non certificate holder bring a top lever back to the UK? (legally).

It's the only place I have been able to find the top lever. Be nice to get the old gun working again.

Phone their departments and get whatever it is confirmed in writing. 

Their restrictions are very strict. Previous posts have noted that it’s not worth it, as even if compliant an over active person at the airport could cause you to miss your flights even if all legit. 

You can but the US export license, the last time I looked, was $250 for a gun or gun associated part and that may have increased since then.  Certainly a non SGC holder with a gun part coming through our airports would be asking for trouble.  A few years ago I took a bolt from one of my rifles..custom made... back to the US for repair and disclosed it when going through Birmingham Airport, the security chief asked if they could put it in my clothing to act as a training aid and they stuffed it inside a shoe wrapped in my underpants and alongside my shaving kit etc., but they found it.  No need to say I had all my paperwork but the US Customs asked a lot of questions when I came back out but the receipt for the repair and the fact I had letters either way covering it and my UK FAC eventually convinced them I was genuine but that is a fair few years ago and things have tightened up considerably since then.

Probably easier and cheaper to have a gunsmith make you a new part.

You need an export licence from the US Govt to export any gun parts new or second hand from the USA. Its their anti terrorist legislation ITAR but it certainly gets in the way of plain old common sense.

There is actually a small parts exemption but nobody seems aware of it and you really don't want to miss your plane while some minor official goes away and checks the details while you sit in a cell. Never underestimate how officious they can be.

Edited by Vince Green

6 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

You need an export licence from the US Govt to export any gun parts new or second hand from the USA. Its their anti terrorist legislation but it certainly gets in the way of plain old common sense.

Always did and it used to be $50 which was not too bad, but then it jumped from that to $250  and now with the dollar  at 1.25 to the pound it adds a lot to the price. Then you need a shipping agent..................................

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Always did and it used to be $50 which was not too bad, but then it jumped from that to $250  and now with the dollar  at 1.25 to the pound it adds a lot to the price. Then you need a shipping agent..................................

I've amended my post above, there is a small parts exemption for parts up to a certain value but the chances of the person on the desk actually being aware of it is risky. 

25 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

If you knew somebody who lives in the states could they not buy the part and simply post it - it's an Antique Clock part isn't it?

Yes and end up in jail for up to ten years if they get caught. It won't be just a slapped wrist, its a jail sentence, especially if you give them evidence of a conspiracy.

This is anti terrorist legislation, don't underestimate how seriously the Americans take this stuff or how severe the penalties are for contravening the regulations.

That's why the companies in America are so frightened of it that they wont even ship out stuff they are perfectly entitled to ship out 

Edited by Vince Green

42 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

That's why the companies in America are so frightened of it that they wont even ship out stuff they are perfectly entitled to ship out

I found a trade label in the U.S. that was period correct. Emailed the company, who are a well known gun manufacturer from Connecticut, about the label and they flatly refused to post.

Tis a piece of leather! What's the problem? 

It might be worth an email to mcarbo.com Iknow from recent experience that they will ship small gun parts to the UK and are perfectly happy to do so. I have recently received a couple of Remington hammers & bits from them...and they were declared on their Customs form. They are easy to talk to and are very helpful. You could ask your seller to ship to Mcarbo who, I am sure, would repack and forward to you at a reasonable cost.

Jim