Initial Application denied can BASC help?

Paton

Hello, my name is Paton I am 15 and have recently had my FAC application denied as a person in my house hold has a criminal record from over 10 years ago. As the crime was a violent crime the firearms licensing administration did not see it suitable for me to store a gun at my own home. However i normally go hunting with a friend of my father who already has a FAC and is willing to keep a gun for me and have already spoken to FLA (firearms licensing administration) and they said i need to make an appeal and there is a possibility that they would pass it. However i am not sure how to go about making this appeal and was wondering if I joined BASC now would they be able to help me? 

Edited by Paton

Just now, Walker570 said:

Join BASC anyway, they get a lot of flak and sometimes deserve it but they are our major representative body and will help if they can.  If storage is the ONLY problem I cannot see why you cannot get your FAC.  What are you hoping to acquire ?

If you mean what gun i am looking to acquire, i applied for a 17HMR. 

If you join now, BASC may give you advice and maybe even speak to the police firearms dept concerned on your behalf, but the representation for revocation, refusal etc, is a member benefit and would undoubtedly be financed through an insurance policy! As we know insurance is a hard nosed business, so I doubt they would be willing to take your case on retrospectively? And even if you were a member they would probably only take the case on if there was a better than even chance of success?

40 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

If you join now, BASC may give you advice and maybe even speak to the police firearms dept concerned on your behalf, but the representation for revocation, refusal etc, is a member benefit and would undoubtedly be financed through an insurance policy! As we know insurance is a hard nosed business, so I doubt they would be willing to take your case on retrospectively? And even if you were a member they would probably only take the case on if there was a better than even chance of success?

Yep, all legal expenses insurance claims are accepted when the balance of probability is success..

Any pre existing won’t be covered... ‘my house is on fire, can I now buy insurance’ ..

Not to sound patronising but you’re only 15 matey and at the minute it’s probably the end of your world but at your age your life is progressing so quickly that in a couple of years you’ll be living somewhere else either working or away at uni and you’ll be posting about how to hide a cabinet in a rental property and attach it to plasterboard walls. Be patient and don’t worry you’ll get it eventually. But rightly the police are so twitchy about anyone with violent convictions having any access to guns. Gun cabinets are secure but they’re not inpenetrable by a long stretch and as a consequence they believe it wouldn’t be a massive stretch for the convicted person to steal the keys or break in to the cabinet and go on a shooting spree. As ridiculous as it probably sounds to you who knows this person that’s their position. 

Legally its quite a strange set up under 18's and FAC, very different to a shotgun, it may well be worth u applying for ur FAC with no intention of owning a gun for now (so no permission to buy) Atleast for the 1st few years

Atleast then u could shoot someone elses rifle even if only supervised (at moment dn't thin u can legally) or even unsupervised. It will keep the other person legal to who ushoot with

Like a few hav said it could be tricky expecting basc's help now, but i'm sure would offer advice and being a youngster they might choose to help even thou not obliged too? U never know

To be fair the polis sound quite positive about the appeal and are mibbe only doing it as a butt covering /buck passing exercise, so decision came from judge not them

The legal expenses policy will not cover for pre existing events or a refusal to grant before you joined BASC. Ask the licencing team for the exact reasons for refusal in writing, it may be possible to overcome their objections without going to Court, but if you do decide to appeal you only have a matter of a few weeks to lodge it.

A bit more info re young people and firearms here, may be helpful  https://basc.org.uk/firearms/guidance-and-fact-sheets/

26 minutes ago, David BASC said:

The legal expenses policy will not cover for pre existing events or a refusal to grant before you joined BASC. Ask the licencing team for the exact reasons for refusal in writing, it may be possible to overcome their objections without going to Court, but if you do decide to appeal you only have a matter of a few weeks to lodge it.

A bit more info re young people and firearms here, may be helpful  https://basc.org.uk/firearms/guidance-and-fact-sheets/

Yeah the thing is the person i go shooting with works on offshore oil rigs so I have not had an opportunity to speak to him until the last few days and its been over that 21 day period. So I've emailed hem and now i'm just going to wait for a response and see what they say.