I really don’t get it

yates

1 hour ago, yates said:

I’ll ask the chap later it will be his call. I’m not bothered either way I don’t do business with them. I have no doubt about the validity of the comments 

Mmmm....not sure about that; you decided it was your call to post this claim on a public forum, but are now reluctant to name the estate in question even by PM? 

Smells a bit frankly. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Scully said:

Smells a bit frankly. 

Quite.

I dont game shoot but someone gave me 10 brace of pheasants last week, a day shot.
I have a friend who sells his to a pub next door to him, so I passed them on to him.
The pub manager sniffed them and rejected them saying they had turned, they smelt perfectly alright to me.
This was Monday morning, they were shot Saturday.
Then turned round and said ,Ill take them if you pluck and pull them though !
We asked for 50 p a bird .
They are on the menu at £15 for half a bird.

Ha! I would often offer people a brace for £2.50 and was always surprised at just how many would turn up their noses....until I told them they were dressed! Even then you always get the tight **** who will haggle! 

I have an outlet which will take all the game he can get.  I get paid in food! I like food! 😀

13 hours ago, Scully said:

Many people pay money to shoot game, and may take away a brace or two, or none. They paid to shoot and so the choice is theirs. It isn’t their fault nor their responsibility that the shoot doesn’t have an outlet for those birds, that is the responsibility of the shoot.

Ethical it isn’t, it’s business. I am convinced that there are outlets for all birds shot, it just requires a bit of creative thinking.

+ 1 

Perhaps the shoot already has a perfectly good outlet for "good" game.  It's surprising the amount of spoilt game there can be - game that dealers don't want, can't be eaten, can't be processed.  How do we know that those birds weren't the spoilt birds from, say, 5 days shooting and that the shoot is carrying out a selection process before supplying to a dealer or processing themselves?

15 minutes ago, Piebob said:

Perhaps the shoot already has a perfectly good outlet for "good" game.  It's surprising the amount of spoilt game there can be - game that dealers don't want, can't be eaten, can't be processed.  How do we know that those birds weren't the spoilt birds from, say, 5 days shooting and that the shoot is carrying out a selection process before supplying to a dealer or processing themselves?

+1

correctly burying game that has been spoilt for whatever reason and is not fit to enter the human food chain is now considered not only best practice but is a legal requirement so it would appear that the shoot could well be showing a very responsible attitude and not sending unfit birds to the dealer.

Most shoots now have at least one person who has done their game meat hygiene course and is up to date with the current requirements.

As others have said, not every shot bird is fit to go into the food chain.

I have no idea how big the shoot in question is but there are many large estates putting on 500 bird days 4 days a week. That's 2000 birds a week (8000 a month)  going to the game dealer. Out of that 8000 birds, it's not rocket science to understand that a couple of hundred would be spoiled one way or another and require disposing of as required by law.

Lets not jump on the band wagon and condemn a shoot for doing the right thing by disposing of a product that is not fit for consumption by man nor beast.

Maybe its different in other parts of the country but we have now had four shoots and haven't touched a Pheasant yet ,( all Partridges ) our first full Pheasant day is the 10th of Nov so I find it strange a shoot to be burying Pheasants this early in the season when demand for fresh Pheasants would be at its highest  , if this was the case they could have been shot on the last warm Saturday we had in October and by the time the dealer could pick them up they had already turned green , whatever the outcome , it don't really add up to me .

It may be different in other areas but plenty of shoots up this way are well in to the pheasants by now, some been shooting them hard all month.

But they do get them in very early so birds are ready for shooting.

I also doubt pheasant would go 'off' in a day but mibee hotter down ur way.

MM if i'm being honest the way things are i don't think there is that big a demand any more for oheasants/game and wot there is is over supplied from this country already plus all over europe 'UK style' driven shoots are popping up and often big bag days, sometimes for cheaper money as overheads/costs or even standards may be lower than here.

Really only got a 2nd hand story which is pretty vague at best, there could be perfectly good reasons why he couldn't give any of those birds to butcher but naming a shoot on 2nd hand 1/2 stories and hearsay is wrong and just plays right into anti's hands. Anyone can read these forums

No wonder shooting is in such a mess when so many fellow shooters instantly believe the worst, esp where commercially shootng (grouse or trophies too) are involved.

Glad to see some common sense breaking out among quite a few also thou

21 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

My local shoot has developed a range of salami. pheasant, venison and grouse just waiting for final Council approval before going into production.  Its good stuff , beaters have been test pilots.

Blackpowder

That's a great idea, keep us posted, would like to try that!!!

4 hours ago, scotslad said:

It may be different in other areas but plenty of shoots up this way are well in to the pheasants by now, some been shooting them hard all month.

But they do get them in very early so birds are ready for shooting.

I also doubt pheasant would go 'off' in a day but mibee hotter down ur way.

MM if i'm being honest the way things are i don't think there is that big a demand any more for oheasants/game and wot there is is over supplied from this country already plus all over europe 'UK style' driven shoots are popping up and often big bag days, sometimes for cheaper money as overheads/costs or even standards may be lower than here.

Really only got a 2nd hand story which is pretty vague at best, there could be perfectly good reasons why he couldn't give any of those birds to butcher but naming a shoot on 2nd hand 1/2 stories and hearsay is wrong and just plays right into anti's hands. Anyone can read these forums

No wonder shooting is in such a mess when so many fellow shooters instantly believe the worst, esp where commercially shootng (grouse or trophies too) are involved.

Glad to see some common sense breaking out among quite a few also thou

Our first three shoots were in like Summer conditions , in fact the first Partridge shoot was over 20 degrees during the morning , we started with just a jumper on and by dinner time we were down to just a shirt. we then moved the seats outside because it was to warm in the room where we have dinner , last Saturday was our first dull / cool day we have had .

When I first started on the estate , my old boss who is dead now didn't shoot any Partridges and his Pheasant shoots always started around the 12th of Nov , he said he didn't start till the leaves were off the trees , now they are on till December and depending how mild it is they could be well into December .

Our game dealer always paid a good price for any Pheasants shot in early October as the bigger shoots wouldn't start till November , I have still got some receipts where they were paying nearly £3 a brace , and anyone who lived on the estate would be charged £3 a brace , then when we changed game dealers to I believe Harveys of Norwich they paid a set price for game for the whole season , it worked out a little less at the beginning and a bit more at the end so it evened itself out .

The bag shot nearest to Christmas was kept for Christmas presents for all the staff , my god , how things have changed and not all for the better , they were happy days though .

57 minutes ago, kenholland said:

we have a food bank, why not a game bank.

Far to many food hygiene regulations would get in the way , I used to sell some pigeons to a butcher in the market place , he started to be told off for hanging them up , then he couldn't put them in the fridge in feather , so he took them home to process them , he then got moaned up by his neighbours for burning the feathers up , in the end he stopped selling them.

This was a few years ago , now people would claim if they got a upset tummy or broke a tooth due to the bits of shot and if that wasn't enough they would say it was lead poison if they kicked the bucket:lol:

Aye different climate down ur way MM, we've had a mild but constant frost every night for almost 2 weeks now possibly longer, althou 1 nite was-5, some days buckets of water keeping the ice on the top all day even in the sun.

Most trees had no leaves up here for a while now, and even the sheltered beech which have been really hanging on have next to no leaves now

Must admit i lose track of pheasant/partridge duck prices as even when getting 2-4 quid a brace the main shoot i go to always gave me as many free birds as i wanted.

But i think it was only 5ish years ago u were still getting £3 a brace.

I know with the grouse as only started working dogs on moors 8? ish years ago, back then an August young grouse was £16 a brace (£8 for old birds) dropping to 10-12 later in season. And that was off the shoots i was picking up/beating on

Last year only getting £2 for young birds even at start of season and then dropping to £1 a brace. Could see grouse being up in value next season after the terrible season many moors have had this year.

I would say hard for keepers or shoot owners to anticipate prices demand dropping just as quickly as that in a reasonably short space of time.

But they do need to get their fingers out and do more  (like wot Blackpoweder and Ian Botham have done) to make sure they have got a home for all these days when the orders come in to shoot 'X' ammount

Supply and demand. marsh man put his finger on it on the thread about game dealers, pigeon prices are good just now as less birds are being shot on ground reserved for game shoots, it follows that the market for pheasant is over supplied at the moment... I would be freezing surpluses 

12 hours ago, scotslad said:

Aye different climate down ur way MM, we've had a mild but constant frost every night for almost 2 weeks now possibly longer, althou 1 nite was-5, some days buckets of water keeping the ice on the top all day even in the sun.

Most trees had no leaves up here for a while now, and even the sheltered beech which have been really hanging on have next to no leaves now

Must admit i lose track of pheasant/partridge duck prices as even when getting 2-4 quid a brace the main shoot i go to always gave me as many free birds as i wanted.

But i think it was only 5ish years ago u were still getting £3 a brace.

I know with the grouse as only started working dogs on moors 8? ish years ago, back then an August young grouse was £16 a brace (£8 for old birds) dropping to 10-12 later in season. And that was off the shoots i was picking up/beating on

Last year only getting £2 for young birds even at start of season and then dropping to £1 a brace. Could see grouse being up in value next season after the terrible season many moors have had this year.

I would say hard for keepers or shoot owners to anticipate prices demand dropping just as quickly as that in a reasonably short space of time.

But they do need to get their fingers out and do more  (like wot Blackpoweder and Ian Botham have done) to make sure they have got a home for all these days when the orders come in to shoot 'X' ammount

A quick mention about Grouse scotslad , we very rarely see Grouse for sale down our way in the butchers and at the moment the local game is hovering around £2.50 for a oven ready Partridge and around £4.50 for a Pheasant , these prices will go down as the supply increase , if going by last year prices , I have seen plenty for sale at £3.99 for a brace of Partridges and a place I know was selling Pheasants £2.00 each or three for a fiver , I don't really know how they do it as it would cost me more than that to have them processed even if I got the birds for nothing .

Now back to the Grouse , A couple of weeks we went in a decent butchers at Stalham  in Norfolk , on the counter they had a pair of Grouse ( ready for the oven ) for £19.00 , I couldn't tell weather they were young or old and I accept it cost a fair bit for delivery from the Grouse moors but £19.00 do seem a bit pricey , well beyond my state pension😊 

57 minutes ago, marsh man said:

A quick mention about Grouse scotslad , we very rarely see Grouse for sale down our way in the butchers and at the moment the local game is hovering around £2.50 for a oven ready Partridge and around £4.50 for a Pheasant , these prices will go down as the supply increase , if going by last year prices , I have seen plenty for sale at £3.99 for a brace of Partridges and a place I know was selling Pheasants £2.00 each or three for a fiver , I don't really know how they do it as it would cost me more than that to have them processed even if I got the birds for nothing .

Now back to the Grouse , A couple of weeks we went in a decent butchers at Stalham  in Norfolk , on the counter they had a pair of Grouse ( ready for the oven ) for £19.00 , I couldn't tell weather they were young or old and I accept it cost a fair bit for delivery from the Grouse moors but £19.00 do seem a bit pricey , well beyond my state pension😊 

Costs a lot more to shoot the ruddy things!

Edited by Penelope

Hi chaps 

my experience 

was invited to a days shooting a few weeks ago never been there before although I knew some of the guns 

at lunch I was talking to the agent and sale of birds came into the conversation 

he said it was dire one would probably have to surcharge the guns as he couldn’t get rid and was being charged by the game dealer ☹️

Anyway it was a nice day bag was about 100 and I went to give my gratuity to the keeper 

he shook my hand and offered me a brace which I took 🙂

then without asking I put my arm along the rail and scooped up another 6 brace 

shock horror

he said what you doing 

my reply the shoot a favour you can’t get rid so I’m taking some extra 

he spluttered a bit and said but I get a £1 each for them 

so in the space of a couple of hours they went from a liability to £1 

i offered to pay and took them away 

so chaps don’t believe all you hear there’s 2 sides to all of these tails