I really don’t get it

yates

25 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

When finishing a shoot last Wednesday the Keeper told me to take as many as I wanted

That seem to be the norm around this way , more so on the commercial shoots as they are shooting 150 / 200 bags two or three times a week .

On one shoot I go on the bag hover around 100 head , at the end of the day the captain say to all involved to help yourself , most guns take a brace along with the beaters , any left over I take to the pub where I take my pigeons , I charge them about 50/60p a bird , take out a bit for my fuel and the rest of the money goes into the keepers 7 year old sons bank book , nothing is ever wasted on the two shoots I go on .

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, marsh man said:

Now back to the Grouse , A couple of weeks we went in a decent butchers at Stalham  in Norfolk , on the counter they had a pair of Grouse ( ready for the oven ) for £19.00 , I couldn't tell weather they were young or old and I accept it cost a fair bit for delivery from the Grouse moors but £19.00 do seem a bit pricey , well beyond my state pension😊 

Lucky escape I'd say! Lol! 😝

3 hours ago, grahamch said:

The older I get the more unethical commercial driven shooting becomes to me especially on a large scale.

If birds cannot be used the y should not be shot, maybe we need reform of driven shooting prevent this. 

The operation should be named and shamed. 

But none of us know the circumstances of the OP’s claim, which was a secondhand story anyhow, from someone he knows. As the OP is reluctant to name the shoot and cannot verify what he claims as true, then we don’t have a lot to go on. 

MM dunno if u travel up to scotland much? Or if u really fancy tasting grouse? (Being honest not the best tasting game bird)

But give me a pM next august and i could get u a couple of brace and freeze them for u. (Not sure how u tell old/young birds when dressed if u even can. Few different ways when shot, skull hardness, toe nails or most common way length flight feathers on wing (think 2nd or 3rd feather usually) )

To be fair with the dressed grouse price, i would imagine a big shortage this year, loads and loads of moors never shot at all this season, and these are moors usually sdhooting 50-80 days a season, so not just small moors.

But thats my argument about game dealers the price never seems to drop at the till, no matter wot there paying forthe birds.

Past few years getting grouse for £2 a brace dropping to £1,

Only guessing but that keeper who's birds are still worth a quid each, he is either 'blackmailing'/sleeping with the game dealer 😉 or his shot is processing them themselves, NO shoots in my area are getting paid for birds, including a few big boys shooting 100+ days

The shoot i was on the day must be accreditted or something (not sure who with) but they have to show recipts for there birds with a game dealer or we're meant to write down wot birds beaters have taken to show the birds are being used and not being wasted.

I would imagine many commercial shoots could be the same, as this shoot isn't really commercial, pretty much same guns every time althou bags are pretty big.

12 hours ago, scotslad said:

MM dunno if u travel up to scotland much? Or if u really fancy tasting grouse? (Being honest not the best tasting game bird)

But give me a pM next august and i could get u a couple of brace and freeze them for u. (Not sure how u tell old/young birds when dressed if u even can. Few different ways when shot, skull hardness, toe nails or most common way length flight feathers on wing (think 2nd or 3rd feather usually) )

To be fair with the dressed grouse price, i would imagine a big shortage this year, loads and loads of moors never shot at all this season, and these are moors usually sdhooting 50-80 days a season, so not just small moors.

But thats my argument about game dealers the price never seems to drop at the till, no matter wot there paying forthe birds.

Past few years getting grouse for £2 a brace dropping to £1,

Only guessing but that keeper who's birds are still worth a quid each, he is either 'blackmailing'/sleeping with the game dealer 😉 or his shot is processing them themselves, NO shoots in my area are getting paid for birds, including a few big boys shooting 100+ days

The shoot i was on the day must be accreditted or something (not sure who with) but they have to show recipts for there birds with a game dealer or we're meant to write down wot birds beaters have taken to show the birds are being used and not being wasted.

I would imagine many commercial shoots could be the same, as this shoot isn't really commercial, pretty much same guns every time althou bags are pretty big.

scotslad ..... THANKS for your very kind offer , I will certainly bear that in mind next year.

I have only been up to Scotland once when we had a week touring the highlands before we went to the C L A Game Fair in Crieff , we went a bit further than Inverness and then ran out of time before going back down to the fair the following day.

Compared with the flatlands of Norfolk, it was a marvelous weeks holiday and the scenery was something else , the people we met were very friendly towards strangers and dare I say it , a bit more friendly than we are , although we are alright when we get to know the person .:hmm::lol: 

On 31/10/2018 at 22:10, Scully said:

Not everyone shoots to eat, and certainly not in this country as we have no tradition of hunting nor do we need to shoot to eat. We shoot for entertainment, for fun, for leisure, for ‘sport’,  because we enjoy it. No one shoots who doesn’t enjoy it. 

I’ve no doubt there will come a time when the big commercial shoots are forced to be seen to be ethical, but don’t be too quick to condemn; if the big shoots go the rest of us won’t be far behind.

Can I ask where you found the source of your post? 

Succinctly put sir.

3 hours ago, old man said:

Succinctly put sir.

Thank you, but I think I was wasting my time. The OP stated in his opening post that he was 'saddened to see over two hundred pheasants buried' when he fact he saw nothing, as he wasn't even there....if in fact there was a 'there'. He then confirmed he wasn't there as he went on to say he got the news secondhand, and then after making the claim it is his friends call to name the shoot in question he has taken no further part in the thread. I can only assume he was trolling. 

I have no idea why this has been moved to the section it has. 😃

Edited by Scully
pedantry

On 01/11/2018 at 10:04, Rewulf said:

Quite.

I dont game shoot but someone gave me 20 pheasants last week, a day shot.
I have a friend who sells his to a pub next door to him, so I passed them on to him.
The pub manager sniffed them and rejected them saying they had turned, they smelt perfectly alright to me.
This was Monday morning, they were shot Saturday.
Then turned round and said ,Ill take them if you pluck and pull them though !
We asked for 50 p a bird .
They are on the menu at £15 for half a bird.

Corrected. :good:

Most game shoots I remember generally charge the day at £35 minimum per bird, so a 600 bird shoot would cost £2100 split between the shooters plus tips, once you have shot you get a brace of birds to take, any further birds will be charged at a further £35 minimum each, most guns do not actually take any other birds so there is generally a number of unclaimed birds.

36 minutes ago, Growly said:

Most game shoots I remember generally charge the day at £35 minimum per bird, so a 600 bird shoot would cost £2100 split between the shooters plus tips, once you have shot you get a brace of birds to take, any further birds will be charged at a further £35 minimum each, most guns do not actually take any other birds so there is generally a number of unclaimed birds.

Try £21000

or £2650 per gun for a team of 8 

1 hour ago, Growly said:

Is there any 600 bird shoots still go on nowadays ? , cant say I have heard of any in my county .

In the past if any of the guns wanted to take any birds home on top of there free brace they would be charged roughly the same price as the estate got off the game dealer which was a £1.00 a bird , now they are told to help them selves . 

There is plenty of shoots shooting similar bags somes times quite a few times a week, 1 near me often shoots similar bags with 2 different parties on the same day.

Big money, plus with bags of that size u getting inot loader territory so another 8-10 wages.

To be honest the demand for those sort of days just seems to be increasing, 10-15 years ago that would be quite rare in my area now loads of shoots doing it and shooting 80+ days a season (althou not all that size)

Really no wonder the game market is over supplied with far more birds shot + far less folk eating/buying game