I really don’t get it

yates

I don't get game shoots either, (they hold no challenge for me but I do enjoy the social), but then again I get to shoot all manor of things in challenging situations and pit my wits against nature all year round.

Others work in offices 9-5, crave for the life some on this site lead and can afford to pay for a brief outing a few times a year.

Good luck to them, the vast majority of Pheasant/Partridge/etc would not be there if it was not for Game Shoots, and neither would a lot of peoples job.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Growly said:

sorry Snow White, exaggerating the bird count for effect, it was more the point of paying the same price for any over the brace, been a long while since i shot game 

Obviously 

the extra you’re quoting is for shooting over the bag not The brace you’re offered at the end of the day or any more birds that you may wish to take away 

1 hour ago, colin lad said:

i buy quite a few of the game dealers and breast them out for my game sausages to sell in shop dealer charges us 25p per bird 

colin

Flippen ek Colin, that is some deal @ 25p. 

Got to say I'd probably dig a hole and bury then rather that take them to a dealer and get what must be a lot less than 25p each!

On 07/11/2018 at 20:52, Dekers said:

Flippen ek Colin, that is some deal @ 25p. 

Got to say I'd probably dig a hole and bury then rather that take them to a dealer and get what must be a lot less than 25p each!

they are the under weight birds still in feather, guess t's better than binning them, one shoot gave me 40 birds free just to get rid of them 

3 hours ago, ehb102 said:

I get a couple of driven days on small shoots. On one shoot I asked if I might take extra and they said a pound a pheasant. I thought that was quite a lot. 

Could be thats what they get off a game dealer.
Or they could in fact be taking the Michelle ?
If youve paid for the shoot, a couple of extra birds should be thrown in really if asked for.

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

If youve paid for the shoot, a couple of extra birds should be thrown in really if asked for.

I get them oven ready for a pound a bird. The keeper says that the game dealer takes the pheasant for free and gives about 20p a bird for partridge. I shall have to get a few more soon for burgers/sausages and breasts. I'm sure he'd give me a load for free if i wanted them in the feather but I'm getting lazy these days  and a quid makes it a worthwhile expense. 

Very little spoilt game is actually inedible, it just does not meet the high standards required by the game dealer, sometimes it is not even spoilt but 'undersized', small strain pheasants which are not economical to process etc. Looking at a pile of birds discarded in the game larder due to ripped skin, crushed ribs, (I have even been told broken wing at the shoulder is enough to write offa bird) etc. A lot of good meat can be salvaged with a sharp knife and some effort, which is unfortunately what a lot of folk are unwilling to do. Spoilt give some of them a very easy excuse to discard what is now a problem whereas in the past very little would be genuinely spoilt, just unfit for sale as a whole dressed bird. 

Edited by scolopax

On 10/11/2018 at 11:39, Rewulf said:

I don't like to be mean about it. What's an extra £20 tip when I've had the privilege of shooting a wonderful shoot? Still, you hear a lot of people saying you can't give game away. 

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 08:34, ehb102 said:

I get a couple of driven days on small shoots. On one shoot I asked if I might take extra and they said a pound a pheasant. I thought that was quite a lot. 

38 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

I don't like to be mean about it. What's an extra £20 tip when I've had the privilege of shooting a wonderful shoot? Still, you hear a lot of people saying you can't give game away. 

Your two posts don't make sense when combined!