Looking for a nice cheap knife for breasting

AdamSouthEast

Mora.

Cheap as chips, take a razor edge, you can get them in bright orange (hence difficult to lose).

There is a laminated version, the designating of which escapes me, which is particularly good at taking an edge, or there are stainless variations.

Edit; the plastic sheath, although ugly as an ugly thing, is robust and very easy to wash out. 

Edited by CaptainBeaky
Forgot a bit/autocorrect error

10 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

For a cheap and cheerful knife, Opinel have a good reputation and fit within your budget. See link below:

https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/ct/opinel-knives-brandpage.htm

8 minutes ago, CaptainBeaky said:

Mora.

Cheap as chips, take a razor edge, you can get them in bright orange (hence difficult to lose).

There is a laminated version, the designating of which escapes me, which is particularly good at taking an edge, or there are stainless variations.

Both of these options look great, thanks.

+1 for mora. Cheap as chips, not the end of the world if lost in the field. Very hygienic unlike a folder. Carbon blade takes a great edge. Perfect for tackling a fallow from start to finish. breasting will be almost nothing to it. I had to have the green and black handle, couldn’t tolerate a bright orange knife on my belt!!

Reporting back: Just breasted a brace after hanging overnight with the new carbon steel Mora. Very pleased, like a warm knife through butter, infinitely better than the 'sharp' kitchen knife I've been using till now.

Extra note: I've been using the quick method to prep my  pheasants for a couple of weeks now and can't see going back to the old method unless my back gives out.  

On 01/11/2018 at 10:32, CaptainBeaky said:

Mora.

Edit; the plastic sheath, although ugly as an ugly thing, is robust and very easy to wash out. 

Can’t go wrong with a mora

On 04/11/2018 at 12:33, AdamSouthEast said:

Reporting back: Just breasted a brace after hanging overnight with the new carbon steel Mora. Very pleased, like a warm knife through butter, infinitely better than the 'sharp' kitchen knife I've been using till now.

Extra note: I've been using the quick method to prep my  pheasants for a couple of weeks now and can't see going back to the old method unless my back gives out.  

Never tried that method. Does it work as easy as it seemed?!?

1 minute ago, Tford said:

Never tried that method. Does it work as easy as it seemed?!?

It requires a decent old tug, similar movement to doing a deadlift. The first time I did it I ripped the wings off, but if you adjust your feet inwards to get the shoulders instead it works a treat. Done a fair few like this now and works great.

2 minutes ago, AdamSouthEast said:

It requires a decent old tug, similar movement to doing a deadlift. The first time I did it I ripped the wings off, but if you adjust your feet inwards to get the shoulders instead it works a treat. Done a fair few like this now and works great.

Will give it a go after this weekends shoot. Something tells me I’ll probably end up with a variety of pheasant parts all over the place!! 😉

On 01/11/2018 at 20:48, Tford said:

+1 for mora. Cheap as chips, not the end of the world if lost in the field. Very hygienic unlike a folder. Carbon blade takes a great edge. Perfect for tackling a fallow from start to finish. breasting will be almost nothing to it. I had to have the green and black handle, couldn’t tolerate a bright orange knife on my belt!!

What are you using to sharpen yours? 

Ive only got a cheap kitchen devil's one I use on the kitchen knifes, works a treat on them but wasn't sure about using it on the mora. 

Not jumping on the mora frost band wagon ....but  i use and cary an opinal for evryday use but when im bresting skinning or doing any field butchery i use the mora .mainly becuase its not a folder and this makes it easy to keep clean and germ free