First time out in a month

Mightymariner

I haven't been out pigeon shooting in over a month so I was looking forward to this week as I knew I would have a free day to get out - if I could find any pigeons.

The problem with not being out is that you lose touch with what has happened on the fields so I had no idea where or if I would find any pigeons. Luckily JDog came to the rescue with a nice opportunity to shoot a flightline in between woods and some old bean stubbles. He very kindly set up the day, all I had to do was show up....what joy!

We walked across to a small spinney that intersected the fields, already birds on the move, it looked good.

We set up 25 yards apart with a south westerly at our backs, a handful of dead birds on the field to our right and one on my flapper.

Almost immediately birds were over us, heading to the fields or returning. 

It was sport of the highest order, fast, jinking birds over, to the left and right of us. We made a dent in them for a while, then my shooting went off the boil. Too much time to think about them, better when no warning. Johnny continued to pull them down, though. What made the day for both of us were the few times we both connected with high birds at the same time, bringing down a few doubles from time to time...fantastic.

We picked, with Jasper's help, 51.

You can't get better than that in late October.

14 hours ago, pbutd said:

Sounds exciting ..the best kind of pigeon shooting with demanding shots & not too much kit to cart about (I hope). Although carrying 51 pigeons back is boardering on a second trip for one person.Good day after a month's drought.

It was great, though we didn't carry the kit back, we brought the vehicles round which I did appreciate.

Yes, Clodhopper, I am sure there will be more days there, it looked very popular!

23 hours ago, kenholland said:

it's nice to have your own personnel pigeon guide , top man for that jdog, well done both.

I have the time and inclination to look for pigeons several days a week. My usual companions Ginger Cat, Clodhopper and Mightymariner all work so their chances of looking are restricted. In any event I would much prefer to have an average day with a companion than a good day on my own.