Tiring to bring old Diana back to life

rovercoupe

Good plan, the stock did seem to wet out when washing off the stripper but will test it first, I prefer oil based stain but the hippies seem so have won that battle and made it harder to get! 

I have my own bluing setup now so this will be the second gun through it all though I measured the tanks and the gun today and the tank is 31" and the gun is 31.5" so it going to be tight!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, rovercoupe said:

Good plan, the stock did seem to wet out when washing off the stripper but will test it first, I prefer oil based stain but the hippies seem so have won that battle and made it harder to get! 

I have my own bluing setup now so this will be the second gun through it all though I measured the tanks and the gun today and the tank is 31" and the gun is 31.5" so it going to be tight!

Sorry i do not follow what your saying .re getting oil based stain ??????

i much prefer oil based stain for wood...and the first couple of coats i use i cut back with thinners to try and get better penertration .......doing beechwood is very difficult as some parts of the grain are so tight ..it wont take a stain unless you open it up with a hot air gun ...and swab the stain in ...it needs to be hot almost bubbling when you swab it in...

Today's update, had to go out and do shopping and stuff with the other half so got the spring compressor countersunk and together and it's had a coat of primer so tomorrow it will get its top coats.

decided to dip the front sight in rust remover and never had much success but though might as well and after 24 hours in the dip its come up pretty good given how rusted it was before so at the moment it will be painted to hide the pitting.

decided to give the stock a light coat of gun stock stain just to darken it a bit and it's on the worktop drying and it's looking quite nice, it still has the character of a used stock with its marks but looks soo much better, I have some Danish oil so tomorrow I will start building that up and see what happens.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Edited by rovercoupe

46 minutes ago, ditchman said:

noooooooooooo................dont paint it .......blue it pleeeeese.............:lol:

dont listen to me ive had 3/4 's of a bottle of cheap red winwe and im bloody slaughtered..:lol:

As long as you enjoyed  it Simon , we all need time to chill , but your right , blue it . The stock is looking nice . Take your time with the woodwork .

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

noooooooooooo................dont paint it .......blue it pleeeeese.............

dont listen to me ive had 3/4 's of a bottle of cheap red winwe and im bloody slaughtered..

No no no ditchman, he is on about painting his spring compressor, now put the cork in and go to bed.:lol:

1 hour ago, rovercoupe said:

decided to dip the front sight in rust remover and never had much success but though might as well and after 24 hours in the dip its come up pretty good given how rusted it was before so at the moment it will be painted to hide the pitting.

7 minutes ago, la bala said:

No no no ditchman, he is on about painting his spring compressor, now put the cork in and go to bed.:lol:

You been on the sauce too?

28 minutes ago, haynes said:

You been on the sauce too?

Today's update, had to go out and do shopping and stuff with the other half so got the spring compressor countersunk and together and it's had a coat of primer so tomorrow it will get its top coats.                                                                                                                                                   You were saying.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

noooooooooooo................dont paint it .......blue it pleeeeese.............

dont listen to me ive had 3/4 's of a bottle of cheap red winwe and im bloody slaughtered..

It's just the sight hood that's getting painted the rest will be blued I just don't think there is enough metal left to flat it back to good and it's a awful shape to sand down!

Not much to report today, needed to start work on some water pumps to sell and clear some space and all did not go to plan, the oil was not oil anymore! 

This is the stock after a second coat of oil.

IMG-6535.jpg

and the spoooge that was oil, main pump shaft seal must be dead and the oil seal on the engine has gone too! The engine was running sweet and only noticed when checking the oil level!

IMG-6534.jpg

Edited by rovercoupe

Not much to update on just been oiling the stock and it's going well,it looks nice but still retains some character.

started to sand down the metalwork and a lot of the pitting has been removed and will come up good just need about another 2 hours sanding and polishing before it is ready for finishing! 

Oh and the engine is re sealed and new seals ready to go into the pump so that will be done soon also.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg