Tiring to bring old Diana back to life

rovercoupe

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

No real updates on the Diana, made a couple of piston heads for a couple of airsporters that need sorting out and have been in bits for ages so did a normal one and a high volume one, got my head back in the game to knock up the adapter for the Diana tomorrow and might get the sanding back finished.

image.jpg

Right got my head down today and managed to get a new head sorted, the only head scratch moment was trying to match the taper on the screw to the insert which pretty much matched the biggest pilot bit I had here so if all goes to plan it will work.

IMG-6686.jpg

parting off is still a total joke so the insert for the head had to be rough cut off the lathe and then milled flat (just a excuse to play with more toys really) 

IMG-6688.jpg

but I know it's dead flat to the piston now so hopefully it won't snap the screw when fired.

IMG-6690.jpg

IMG-6692.jpg

Now came the boring bit, hours and hours of sanding to get what I thought was just a bit of pitting left to do but it was stubborn and had to go back to a 600 belt to get most of it off. I'm thinking I will start to finish sand it after I have done the bits that cannot be done on the sander as it's futile thing to get every last mark off it so a few age marks will remain but considering what it's come from it should come up quite nice as long as it will blue. 

image.jpg
image.jpg

• 1 year later...

Well it's been 2 years and it's taken this long to get through other things and finally get out the bluing kit so it's now been in the tank and not looking too shabby, it's not  like a new gun but I never wanted to look like new. 

The trigger is sticking but it's gone back together and it's shoots so a bit of tinkering and it will be ready to go. I put a random short spring in it and it's twangy as hell but making good power although I did want it low powered for a bit of lockdown short range target shooting.

now to just get it finished...... 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ditchman said:

very nicely done................when this lockdown is ended i will be designing a new piston and seal for my merc "S"...........

I can recommend putting a Diana parachute seal on the end of a merc, I have one on the airsporter and it’s the nicest shooting of the lot. 

I managed to swap out the spring in the Diana for the shortest one and sleeved the piston and there is no twang anymore and it’s sat at 6ftlbs which is perfect for my 10m range. Zero preload and no recoil so should be a good little target gun.

The bluing is great and there is still a few marks on the rear but it looks worse in the picture than it actually is. Happy days.

9B87613B-9CD2-4805-B757-82EBB66B32E0.jpeg

9 hours ago, rovercoupe said:

I can recommend putting a Diana parachute seal on the end of a merc, I have one on the airsporter and it’s the nicest shooting of the lot. 

I managed to swap out the spring in the Diana for the shortest one and sleeved the piston and there is no twang anymore and it’s sat at 6ftlbs which is perfect for my 10m range. Zero preload and no recoil so should be a good little target gun.

The bluing is great and there is still a few marks on the rear but it looks worse in the picture than it actually is. Happy days.

9B87613B-9CD2-4805-B757-82EBB66B32E0.jpeg

thats interesting ..........when im nearer the time i will do the piston/bore measurments and give you a PM for some advice..............what if any lube did you use with the new seal arrangement ?

On 16/05/2020 at 19:19, ditchman said:

very nicely done................when this lockdown is ended i will be designing a new piston and seal for my merc "S"...........

... Ditch and mine if you would be so kind.

On 17/05/2020 at 08:12, ditchman said:

thats interesting ..........when im nearer the time i will do the piston/bore measurments and give you a PM for some advice..............what if any lube did you use with the new seal arrangement ?

Diana, very nice indeed.