Sporting Clays and Game - Tightening up ????

Salop Matt

Folks,

Apologies first for another choke question!

I am not a choke twiddler and have Teague 3/8`s in both my barrels for all my clay shooting and the bit of game shooting that I do.

How ever I think some of the more rangy stuff I may be missing out on a few kills and breaks with pattern failing/opening up too much, so am considering tightening up my chokes..... again, it will be a pair of the same for both barrels. But am torn between a pair of half's or a pair of 5/8`s.

I belive its the clay ground I will see the improvements on as I only shoot higher birds once a year on my beaters day.

Any advice / thoughts ?

TIA

When I owned a Miroku MK38 multi choke sporter I bought some additional Teague after market chokes for it. Now they're marked up with the choke constriction to the standard nominal bore size of barrel Miroku produce.  However, when my gunsmith mate and I used the bore micrometer to check the actual choke constriction to my set of barrels we found there was a difference, not much on some but almost a whole choke size difference on others.

Quarter was 8 thou (should be 10 thou), Half was 17 thou (should be 20 thou), 5/8 was 21 thou (should be 25 thou), 3/4 was 25 thou (should be 30 thou) and 7/8 was 30 thou (should be 35 thou).    We had similar results with a Miroku fitted with Briley chokes.

So all may not be what it seems.     

14 minutes ago, PhilR said:

When I owned a Miroku MK38 multi choke sporter I bought some additional Teague after market chokes for it. Now they're marked up with the choke constriction to the standard nominal bore size of barrel Miroku produce.  However, when my gunsmith mate and I used the bore micrometer to check the actual choke constriction to my set of barrels we found there was a difference, not much on some but almost a whole choke size difference on others.

Quarter was 8 thou (should be 10 thou), Half was 17 thou (should be 20 thou), 5/8 was 21 thou (should be 25 thou), 3/4 was 25 thou (should be 30 thou) and 7/8 was 30 thou (should be 35 thou).    We had similar results with a Miroku fitted with Briley chokes.

So all may not be what it seems.     

Found similar things myself but I dont think 2 or 3 thou is going to make much difference in reality.

If I was tightening up I would not go same in both barrels as your handicapping yourself. Unless you use a fiber wad for closer clays. 

5/8th is a good choke for a bit of range but it might cost you closer clays unless your powdering all the clays you shoot.

if I was to go for a bit tighter and both the same choke it would be true half in both. 20 thou under bore diameter. Very few if any clays will you miss on any course due to pattern with them. 

Half choke is what’s always in any semi auto I own, unless I’m going for foreshore range geese. 

Edited by figgy

11 minutes ago, figgy said:

If I was tightening up I would not go same in both barrels as your handicapping yourself. Unless you use a fiber wad for closer clays. 

5/8th is a good choke for a bit of range but it might cost you closer clays unless your powdering all the clays you shoot.

if I was to go for a bit tighter and both the same choke it would be true half in both. 20 thou under bore diameter. Very few if any clays will you miss on any course due to pattern with them. 

Half choke is what’s always in any semi auto I own, unless I’m going for foreshore range geese. 

This. 

On 02/11/2018 at 14:20, Smokersmith said:

How about you just buy 1 off 5/8ths ... you can then switch barrels for longer targets, and have halved your spend. If you're convinced, you can get another.

Teague 3/8's generally give the best patterns in my game gun, better than tighter chokes.

What distance did you pattern it at?