hushpower users

hawkfanz

18 minutes ago, old'un said:

Not got one or ever used one but I would think you need to take it out in the field and let a few shots off, that will give you some idea of the sensible distance you can shoot from the nursing home without causing a noise nuisance.

You would need someone with you to stand away from the gun , and ask them what they hear , as you shooting the gun will still be a bit noisy.  Just a thought .

I've got a Beretta 20 bore hushpower over/under and it's great. Shot a crow in the air with subsonic 5s and it sounded like a pop followed by the sound of the pellet strike. Shooting in the woods is a bit louder with noise reflected from the trees.

It's hard to say how far away before the shot is inaudible, too many variables. But it sounds nothing like a regular gunshot and if shooting near a building, its likely inaudible from a few yards away through double glazing and ambient noise. Out in the open, I would hazard a guess at 100 yards or so.

I dont think you would get complaints about noise from using a hushpower and subsonic cartridge. Although it would likely still be heard and you may get complaints about shooting but not from a noise aspect. Especially in autumn/winter when most folk will be inside with Windows and doors shut 

I have 2 hushers .my mate has 3 .

The best results for being as quiet as possible .is to always fire away from he house (obviously) but it really makes a difference .shoot only on windy days (in the middle of the day ) when ambient noise is greatest and people are busy .

Winter is good as people are inside with windows shut .

Take all the above into acount and the type of cartridge you actually shoot is irrelevant .But if you do want to reduce the noise the gun makes try gamebore regal .they are good and not to noisy .

But consider all the other stuff first its far more effective than cart choice 

Also shots up wards into the air will alway shound quieter than a shot lower down . Try to avoid shooting towards trees walls etc as the sound will reflect back to you and the house. 

3 hours ago, johnphilip said:

You would need someone with you to stand away from the gun , and ask them what they hear , as you shooting the gun will still be a bit noisy.  Just a thought .

Or you could always put a 100 yards length of string on the trigger. :whistling: 

No idea about a 20 bore, but a Webley and Scott B/A 410 with the detachable moderator (and normal cartridges, not subsonics) sounds about as loud as someone clapping their hands together from 20 yards away.

4 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

have just looked on google earth,its gives the shooting position as 160 yards from nursing home,and its behind shooting location,shooting across open field,and have still had complaints of noise,

Some people like complaining. End of story.

I regularly use a hushpuppy fitted to a pump and 1 on a single barrel within 100 yards of a farmhouse.

Both are 12 gauge (the 20 is quieter and the .410 even more so)

I use homeloaded sub carts.

Every time I leave the farmer asks if I got anything as he didn't hear any shots fired.

Used the pump at a clay shoot (on report) second clay was never sent due to the trapper not hearing the first shot fired

(he was about 30 yards away behind a tin sheet barrier)

well guys this is why i,m asking i was surprised to hear of complaints,and ive been on said field today walking dog,,an its got loads of crows diggin up the barley,so i guess i,ll go out again this time i go further away and hope i get no complaints,this is exactly the reason i got the hushy so i wouldn,t bother anyone,i just wanted other opinions on noise level,so i thank everyone for comments/contributions on subject i suppose next step is hushy 410 make things even quieter.

2 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

well guys this is why i,m asking i was surprised to hear of complaints,and ive been on said field today walking dog,,an its got loads of crows diggin up the barley,so i guess i,ll go out again this time i go further away and hope i get no complaints,this is exactly the reason i got the hushy so i wouldn,t bother anyone,i just wanted other opinions on noise level,so i thank everyone for comments/contributions on subject i suppose next step is hushy 410 make things even quieter.

Is this near you mate? I can come and stand about if you want while you fire off some shots?

On a calm morning and shots fired 90 degree to the house .yes people will complain ,i had it a few weeks ago when 1 person from a row of houses about 200 yds away to my left shouted across the field . Every one else i presume wasnt bothered .

Such is shooting  .

Be legal. Be safe .inform the land owner your there and carry on with your legal pastime. If some one tries to stop or impead you, you can point out that they are breaking the law and could be expecting a visit from plod to explain themselves. 

Do all you can to be repectful (like shooting after 9 am ) and using a hushpower . But thats it .