Loose action on an AYA Yeoman?

4535jacks

I decided to buy an AYA Yeoman for sentimental reasons and I found an excellent example with near perfect bores and an immaculate stock.  However one issue I have noticed is that when the gun is open, it has a bit of play in the forend but when closed it is tight as a nut.  It is years since I owned a yeoman so I can't remember if this is normal or if the forend needs some TLC.

Is this normal on a yeoman SXS?

Edited by 4535jacks

So after a more detailed inspection it seems that there is some a play in the action when open.  The play appears to be in the main action pin.  There is not much play just a bit and it is solid when closed.

Also the end support for the rib that is meant to be flush with the muzzle is loose and rattles.  It needs resoldering.

I think I may end up taking the gun back to the shop.

Without inspection it is not relay possible to suggest in other than the widest terms .

If the play is in a side ways movement when open , this is not uncommon .

If the forend is slack/ loose then this will also give the impression of greater looseness .

AyA's do have a habit of the "knock in " joint pin coming loose in the body so need to be checked . If so pointless in trying to do anything else until this is sorted. 

AyA's also tend to have very shallow cut outs in the bolts so with wear there is little chance of building up the bolt and need the bites to be welded and re cut .

Make sure that the barrels are not hard down on the flats as this will put added strain on the bolt .

Not sure what you mean about the rib support but as AyA's have brazed ribs this will not be anything serious .

Unfortunately the cost of remedial work could run to more than the gun is worth if done correctly . Labour costs run the same per hour no matter what the gun , and gunsmiths do like to eat occasionally .