Missing Dogs.

The Heron

In the times newspaper today there is an article on missing dogs in that so far this year 18,000 have gone missing one of the reasons for the increase in gun dog theft  is the rise in the number of people with new money taking up game shooting and thinking after paying a high price for a shotgun and thousands for a days shooting they seem to think that they have to have a gundog with them probably more of fashion item than a necessity. Keep your dogs safe.

1 minute ago, The Heron said:

In the times newspaper today there is an article on missing dogs in that so far this year 18,000 have gone missing one of the reasons for the increase in gun dog theft  is the rise in the number of people with new money taking up game shooting and thinking after paying a high price for a shotgun and thousands for a days shooting they seem to think that they have to have a gundog with them probably more of fashion item than a necessity. Keep your dogs safe.

Good point thanks for posting,  I wonder do any of the stolen gundogs end up with other shooters, is there a black market for trained dogs no question asked ..?

No doubt some get stolen to be sold on but I think the vast majority are stolen for breeding , my friend got her springer bitch back six years after it was stolen from her kennels and a cording to the vets had been a virtual breeding machine . Along with the fashion for mongrel breeding that gives silly names to dogs the whole range of breeds are now on the stolen for breeding list . 

More likely they’re nicked for breeding like moose man said. The popularity of those horrendous mongrel breeds sproodles, cockerpoos, labradoodles etc makes a gun dog a valuable commodity. You’re looking at £800+ for one of these mongrels.

Equally it’s not rocket science to switch microchips with registered pedigree dogs and breed pedigree whatever’s. I think the price of pedigree dogs over the last few years has reached ridiculous levels. I wanted a pedigree whippet puppy 18 months ago but couldn’t justify £500-700 for puppy to catch the odd rabbit and come shooting with me.