Bulging eley 410 cartriges

Ozz

Out shooting the weekend with my norica 410 .  This time using eley3" shot 25 carts and all day the gun played up something rotten refusing to eject the empties . In the end i went home and got ready to strip and have a good look .but then noticed the empties (that i always pick up) some were bulged on the end. And some quite disformed  more than others .my mate said this is common for eley3" i normaly use fiottchi . Shurely this isnt normal has anyone else had this trouble

I do have some empties and just took a couple of pics .they look worse and more disformed in the flesh but u can still see where there miss shaped .and end of the day they wer disformed enough not to cycle .only haplend on the eley not the fiocchi3" or the ely 2"

20181104_090043.jpg

20181104_090013.jpg

The other strange miss shaping thing it did to only the eley3" was where the extractor catches the rim of the cart its slightly moved the edge back and the primer side is looks almost slightly countersunk ? .i may have just had a bad box

Contact Eley first and foremost.

I have shot a few boxes of Eley over the last three years and the only problem I have seen is they tend to burn/blow the end of the hull whereas never a problem with Fiocchi or Hull High Pheasant.  RC used to do the same, sometimes half the case had gone. Maybe Eley obtaining their cases from the same supplier. 

With that amount of bulging I question the chamber size/shape on your gun. Measure the chamber and compare with an Eley shell and a Fiocchi shell.

Just for information, this year , just to try them, I have shot about 200 Hull High Pheasant 410 3 inch and found them to be an excellent cartridge and the cases are perfect for reloading.

They now also do the cartridge in fibre wad and #7 shot.   

Im out on tues with the 410 and have a right old assortment of carts so im going to see how things go  and il be passing the shop on way home where im going to have a smith check out that chamber .

And cheers for the tip on them hull high pheasant iv been thinking about getting into the reloading . just for the 410 

And iv always liked hull  but fingers crossed my chamber is ok 

1 hour ago, Sprucey said:

Where do you get these from? I am worcestershire way. 

You have a good gunshop in Bromsgrove. Google gunshop Bromsgrove and it will come up.  It is a long way for me but I have used them in the past for things I could not get locally and they have always been pleasant and helpful.  Otherwise Nibbs International at Shustoke ...It was Mark Knibbs who put me on to them.

Edited by Walker570

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info and advice chaps .i went an took the gun to the shop and evrything seems ok. 2 chaps had a good look and were happy to tell me to cary on .so i brought a couple difrent boxes of carts and had a few carts of variying names gifted to me and i went and had a hour or so on the clays . .i even tried the 3" ely  again (i grabed another box) just to out rule a bad box anyway had a great time blasting clays with the litle norica only to find that evrything i put in was ok apart from the ely 3" (again ) so im just going to stay clear of them altho ely 2" are sound the hull 3" are nice and silky to load same as the fiocchi and i didnt like  the look of the trust magnum 3" but they worked ok .im still going to get a second opinion on the chamber by taking in to another shop i use .also i never managed to find the  fes website  that continental shooter mentioned  but thanks again lads  .

And if ever u want a conversation withe evryone ate ur local clay shoot turn up with an old 3 shot bolt action 410 and no one can walk past without stopping to chat😂