Llechweddygarth

Smokersmith

Smoker, I am surprised that you posted this and asked for comments without expressing your own opinion.

My own view, garnered from years of inexperience, is that shooting at birds at extreme ranges of 80 to 100 metres is inexcusable. The views of 'macho man' on another thread which was closed down were typical. 

3 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Some fantastic shooting in a brilliant location.

It’s a shame they didn’t show The Rock, where birds rocket and twist down towards you... not extremely far away, but very difficult.

It’s always difficult to estimate range on camera ... but what are people’s thoughts?

Not for me at all... targets might as well be clays...my opinion !

2 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

It was estimates of range I was interested in … I reckon a lot of those shot were in the 65 to 75 yard area …..

I would go along with that. I just came across this video on YouTube, and the ranges are exactly what I was looking at. There were plenty of birds here that I thought were shot at around 60 yards.

Some fine shooting, but then again what would I know, I've never been shooting in my life..

42 minutes ago, Mightymariner said:

Hard to tell range on screen but I wonder what state some of the birds are in when they hit the ground from that height, especially where there were rocks and slate.

BUT, at least they will not be full of shot  !     :whistling:

Amazing what a .410" can do  ?

Most of us would never be able to afford to go on a quality shoot like the one above , if we could or did go on a shoot with that quantity and quality birds we would take on what would be a challenge for our standard of shooting weather it was birds at 30 / 40 / 50 or beyond , I would be more than happy to take birds on at 30 / 40 yds simply for the fact we don't have many higher than that and a 40 yd high Pheasant or Partridge is plenty hard enough for me .

D C do a huge amount of game shooting up and down the country at most of the renown shoots and by all accounts is a very good game shot , if they were 60 yard plus in the video then he look more than capable in taking the shots on , the ones I would condemn are the ones who take those sort of birds on knowing it would be a lucky shot if they ever connected with one . 

Well I think the ranges were varied most 60 to 70 with some probably at 80... yes I would love to shoot there but i would pick the birds I felt confident with..

I once heard the saying "do not judge a gun by what he shoots but what he leaves high or low" and that rings true for me ..Dave Carrie is a superb shot many of his shots are down with one barrel ... I have no problem with it.

With the right choke and size of shot along with big enough shot count we all know lead carries enough energy to kill humanely at 70 yards. If you practise on lots clays at the same ranges, then have lots of shooting game at similar distance your going get good in no time.

I personally haven’t been to this shoot but I have been to a fair few of the other high bird shoots, Whitfield being my favourite that I have visited so far. All i can say about the high bird shoots is this, I enjoy them! I’m not going to lie and say I don’t, that the whole reason we go shooting is because we enjoy it, i shoot some average shoots and to be honest on a 50-100 bird day I may pick my gun up to a couple of birds but there are plenty of guns out there who do not have the ability to let a bird pass them no matter how low or bad the bird is. To me this is far worse than high bird shooting. I shoot 32g 4’s most of the year, on a few shoots I will up this to 36g or even 40g 4’s but there are not many places I have felt the need. 

• 4 weeks later...

These videos are very bad for the shooting fraternity. Pattern 40gm 3s (or any load the posers use) at 80 yards and then tell me you'd be confident of hitting a pheasant's vitals even if you could put the centre of the pattern on the bird every time. And this doesn't even allow for a 3 dimensional shot string. 

I enquired with Martin who runs the shooting on this estate about a day next season.

As of next season the days will be based on 2 shot counts, not bag size. 

You can either have 2100 shots or 3200 shots.

if I was to tell you the 2100 shot day works out at around £10 every time someone pulls the trigger it's certainly not your average days shooting.

So not only are the birds out of my league so is the cost!!!!

That is one expensive day. Charging by shots fired. The guns would have to collect all their empties and count up after every drive. Very open to being ripped off, who when shooting  counts shots when your on a peg.

Thinking on though, take a team of good shots take only 30 to 40 yard birds and you could shoot hundreds.