Gloves

tomquin

Depends on the size of your hands. 

My hands are big so even the largest sizes are tight so slow down circulation negating the benefits. Gloves large and warm enough hinder my hands for loading and triggerfeel. 

I have some camo sealskinz that are decent and keep Out the water but are tight. 

Thin leather lined shooting or work gloves work best and oiled waxed to keep water out are warmest. 

• 1 month later...

Long time since I did it...50 years or more but I used to wear woolen fingerless mittens and some good warm mittens over the top but had these on a tape like little kids did at school.

The warm mittens not having fingers could be pulled on and off easily unlike fingers and being on tape didn't drop in the mud.  As said long time memories.

I wear sealskinz today for shooting and have side pockets for putting my hands in if needed.

On really cold days I have a Cabela's Muff which hangs around my neck and hands can be slipped in  and there is a pocket for a hand warmer in there as well.

Edited by Walker570

On 05/11/2018 at 21:44, figgy said:

I keep one in my pocket and warm

my hands in turn with gloves on. A mate has two smaller ones he tucks down the back of each glove. 

I buy a box of the disposable ones they last 10 hours and can be slipped in the mitt of my sealskinz.

My wife bought me a pair of Hoggs of Fife Field Pro shooting gloves for Xmas. I think that they were just over £20 from our local Mole store. Tried them out in the week to see how effective they were shooting and reloading etc. The index fingers (both left and right) have thinner material so good sensitive feel on the trigger. It was hardly sub zero temperature but they were really warm so hopefully will be good in very cold weather.

OB

• 4 weeks later...

Use Leather riding gloves majority of the time , i have done years now, wool is warm even when wet but they dont grip well enough and neprene ok but never seem as warm as natural leather to me. but will admit in the wet i do like neprene in rain its probably best compromise in such conditions.

Have just purchased a neoprene camo pair of gloves from Aldi £4.99. Rubber palms and fingers, camo neoprene over the back of the hand. Index finger and thumbs can be folded back for trigger control etc. Just been out in the pouring rain with them and sure enough they have stayed waterproof, unlike my jeans which have gone in the tumble drier.  Find them under their fishing items. They also have green neoprene fingerless gloves for the same price.

FB.

Edited by Flyboy1950

8 hours ago, Flyboy1950 said:

Have just purchased a neoprene camo pair of gloves from Aldi £4.99. Rubber palms and fingers, camo neoprene over the back of the hand. Index finger and thumbs can be folded back for trigger control etc. Just been out in the pouring rain with them and sure enough they have stayed waterproof, unlike my jeans which have gone in the tumble drier.  Find them under their fishing items. They also have green neoprene fingerless gloves for the same price.

FB.

I got a pair Thursday last from aldi , not brilliant the folding finger and thumb great for tying leaders on mainline on the shores but annoying for wild fowling and they are tight around the slits mine are size L/XL .

Wool is warm but grip is poor i think Leather myself with over mittens you can slip off when shooting. i have some sweedish sniper gloves off ebay they are Super size XL but go over the neoprenes i might try that see how it goes but think leather will win in the end.

Good thing about wool is they are still warn when wet but need rubber grips thats the only downside to wool .

8 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Here you go;

IMG_20190208_142606EDIT.jpg

That combo looks like it would work great when its cold.

Edited by Fen tiger