Fireworks warning labels

Benthejockey

I just heard on the radio they want to put pictures of fireworks related injuries on boxes of fireworks. They’re explosives of course they’re going to take your fingers off or burn big holes in your skin! I’ve got some to set off tonight, they’re only little ones but they have a recommendation that spectators stand 8m back. That surely says they’re potentially a little bit spicy and need handling with a little bit of care! I know common sense isn’t common any more but really do we need pictures of disfigured people on boxes of fireworks?! 

Just read this and part of the argument was that the bright colours on firework packaging make them seem like toys!? There was me thinking the attraction was the fact that they explode!  Warning labels would indeed be better than a ban but surely there's something seriously wrong with this being suggested at all. There are some daft people out there but much like other bans, I suspect it's about pretending there's a need by using carefully selected data and a bit of panic. End result is a reduction in liberties and another instance of being told that you're incapable by the powers that be. We have some of the biggest muppets on some of the highest pay, convincing the population that they need supervision. 

Spectacular :P

2 hours ago, Esca said:

You can buy explosives over the supermarket counter no questions asked. Try doing that with a tub of Blue Dot.:whistling:

Granted you’d be left wanting if you went to Tesco for a tub of powder but as long as you don’t mind paying the p&p you can buy it off the internet. 

You buy fireworks because they explode and go bang if you’re stupid enough to buy them because the dodgy graphic on the front makes them look like a toy then you’re either too young or too stupid to be in possession of them anyway and should be a prime candidate for a Darwin Award. 

When i was a kid i was told not to play with fireworks. Both my parents were very strict, and punishment was at most times painful. 

But not as painful as having a banger go off just as i was throwing it into someone's garden. Burning my thumb and 3 of my fingers. I learnt 2 lessons that night.

1 to listen to my parents

2 not to play with fireworks.

I was lucky not to have more damage to my thumb and index finger. 

And had little sympathy from my dad. But had the next week stopping in, not allowed to go out of the house. 

50 minutes ago, walshie said:

Does anyone remember the indoor fireworks they used to sell? Light them on a saucer and you had delights of a long worm of chemicals pouring out of a pyramid. We were easily amused.

I remember them and dread to think of the cocktail of obnoxious chemicals that they put out lol. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

I remember them and dread to think of the cocktail of obnoxious chemicals that they put out lol. 

They were brilliant - was one called ‘Serpant’ or something that when lit, elongated like a snake and then there was a green smoking one.

Burnt a few holes in the tablecloths if I remember rightly ( well I was only a nipper)

22 hours ago, chilly1981 said:

It’s kike putting caution hot on cups of take away coffee 

all warning should be left off things and let Murphy’s law take over. For the good of the gene pool and maybe common sense may be the norm again

Took delivery of my new Benelli last night, and on the choke key is stamped....’Remove before firing’.🙂

It may sound harsh but teenagers getting burnt or fingers blown off will teach them a lesson they will not forget. It was no ones fault but their own. 

Natural selection and all that, the morons will still get hurt even with pictures on boxes. 

We really should stop all the nanny Pam by nonsense, life is dangerous so ate lots of things in it.  All it teaches is their is no warning so it must be safe. As one has said common sense isn’t that common anymore. About time they found some.