Beaters required Northumberland

16 hours ago, Vince Green said:

£70 and a proper pub lunch is the going rate around here (without the dogs, dogs put it up to around £100). Still cheap when the guns are paying what they are paying to shoot the birds

I'am been robbed 😕 working dogs beating plus a bit sweeping thru at best £35 and a bit soup at worst nowt and expected to place £3  bet on the bag/shots fired .Its not all about the money🤑 .First freebie shoot cost me over £100 in vets bills for one of my spaniels but still I turn up for the day  daft or what.:crazy:

22 hours ago, AdamSouthEast said:

If it's just about the money, Bisley pay £60 a day for you to sit in the butts patching over target shooters bullet holes with a 2 hour lunch break. Boring stuff though, would hate to do that for a day...

I think its more than that now, both my sons used to do it in the summer holidays. Some days they would sit there all day and only have to do about twenty shots. Other days it was full on but they very often got a good tip on top.

On 07/11/2018 at 12:34, alan123shooting said:

Going rate in North Norfolk £30 without dogs and one of shoots is a largish eastate. However I do it for the cock days at the end of the season 150 bird day for a tip to the keeper can’t be bad. No shoots pay £70 plus lunch is unheard of up here.

I think your rate is roughly the same all over Norfolk although I know of one shoot they pay the beaters £40 to cover the tax 

Where I go this Saturday I get £30 for driving the beaters about and standing behind any gun without a dog to give my dog a retrieve now and again.

If it was all about the money then I wouldn't go , we are well looked after with snacks and drinks at mid morning , take home whatever game we want and last year we had two beaters days where you could shoot any game that is left over as they start afresh, what more could you ask for ?

I would do it for nothing as its not all about what you get paid , we get paid to cover your fuel costs ect , we all enjoy the day and the guns are a friendly lot of blokes , all in all a day to look forward to .

22 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I think your rate is roughly the same all over Norfolk although I know of one shoot they pay the beaters £40 to cover the tax 

Where I go this Saturday I get £30 for driving the beaters about and standing behind any gun without a dog to give my dog a retrieve now and again.

If it was all about the money then I wouldn't go , we are well looked after with snacks and drinks at mid morning , take home whatever game we want and last year we had two beaters days where you could shoot any game that is left over as they start afresh, what more could you ask for ?

I would do it for nothing as its not all about what you get paid , we get paid to cover your fuel costs ect , we all enjoy the day and the guns are a friendly lot of blokes , all in all a day to look forward to .

Nice to meet a fellow minded person, beating Saturday and Monday the old dog enjoys himself as well as myself what more could you ask for 

23 minutes ago, alan123shooting said:

Nice to meet a fellow minded person, beating Saturday and Monday the old dog enjoys himself as well as myself what more could you ask for 

A man of my own heart 

A day in the fresh air , plenty of exercise and being with like minded people , a perfect day out.

Enjoy your day Saturday and Monday Alan , should be a bit breezy but staying mainly dry.

All the best       John

46 minutes ago, marsh man said:

A man of my own heart 

A day in the fresh air , plenty of exercise and being with like minded people , a perfect day out.

Enjoy your day Saturday and Monday Alan , should be a bit breezy but staying mainly dry.

All the best       John

Cheers John 

• 2 months later...
On 08/11/2018 at 20:58, marsh man said:

guns

I’d like to know where you get £100 per day with dogs, just out of interest. I wouldn’t go there though because it would be full of money orientated people and probably not an enjoyable day. To me beating / picking up is a past time, if you need the money you can go to more than one shoot and beat three or four times a week. I know several pickers up that do this, because they enjoy it, not for the money. 

3 hours ago, Minkie said:

I’d like to know where you get £100 per day with dogs, just out of interest. I wouldn’t go there though because it would be full of money orientated people and probably not an enjoyable day. To me beating / picking up is a past time, if you need the money you can go to more than one shoot and beat three or four times a week. I know several pickers up that do this, because they enjoy it, not for the money. 

Hi Minkie .... I am sure what you are saying go for the majority of people who help out on a shooting day , as I said in one of my posts the top pay for a beater I have heard of is £40 and no doubt a bit more for the drivers and the ones who pick up.

On one of our shoots it is £30 for beaters , for some of the retired chaps it's a day out in the fresh air , a bit of exercise and dare I say it , a day away from her left indoors :lol:

Where I am on Saturday I used to do it for nothing and the guy who run it would let me go down to his flight pond and let me shoot as many duck as I wanted , he knew I wouldn't shoot more than four and this carried on until I retired then he insisted I took the pay to at least cover my fuel, we all have lunch together and the bottle is passed to the beaters as well as the guns at 11s, for the last few years we have had two beaters days to make it fair for those who go on other shoots and the beaters day clash , a very good and considerate shoot .