Front Stuffers...

Jonno243

Not entirely sure which section this query should actually be in!

I am looking for advice regarding black powder substitutes. Specifically, for those using front stuffers, what is your preference between Pyrodex and Triple 7?

Is there actually much difference between them? I have both a Pedersoli Brown Bess and a Pedersoli S/S percussion cap that I am looking to get a bit of use out of but don't want to go down the black powder route if I don't have to.

TIA.

Is your Brown bess flint or cap lock?  I understand that because they are stabilised BP substitutes aren't great as priming powder.

I used pyro in my cap locks and it worked very well, but I got the impression that it was possibly even more corrosive than BP.

6 hours ago, Zapp said:

Is your Brown bess flint or cap lock?  I understand that because they are stabilised BP substitutes aren't great as priming powder.

I used pyro in my cap locks and it worked very well, but I got the impression that it was possibly even more corrosive than BP.

Thanks Zapp, the BB is a flintlock and I was curious whether either were available in various grades to cover both powder charge and priming charge.

4 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Triple 7 is much less corrosive than Pyrodex but neither are likely to be available in the UK any more if the importer gives up importing US powders.

I haven't seen any mention of Pyrodex or Triple 7 on any of the "Non-REACH compliant" lists that I have looked at, but then again I never bothered looking that closely as my CF loads all use Viht.

I must admit my main draw was the fact that they purport to be less corrosive than BP, and easier cleaned (if I am being brutally honest then the "easier cleaned" bit was the clincher), but if collectively they are not a decent substitute then I would be better off just applying for a BP license and living with the hassle of a more strict cleaning regime. It's not like they will see daily use after all...

42 minutes ago, Jonno243 said:

Thanks Zapp, the BB is a flintlock and I was curious whether either were available in various grades to cover both powder charge and priming charge.

I haven't seen any mention of Pyrodex or Triple 7 on any of the "Non-REACH compliant" lists that I have looked at, but then again I never bothered looking that closely as my CF loads all use Viht.

I must admit my main draw was the fact that they purport to be less corrosive than BP, and easier cleaned (if I am being brutally honest then the "easier cleaned" bit was the clincher), but if collectively they are not a decent substitute then I would be better off just applying for a BP license and living with the hassle of a more strict cleaning regime. It's not like they will see daily use after all...

The main problem with Hodgon powders like pyrodex and Triple 7 is not so much whether they are REACH compliant or not, it whether the importers, Edgar Bros can be bothered to pay to have them tested . Powders are such a PIA to import, store and distribute now its more trouble than its worth

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, Jonno243 said:

Not as far as I know but it's been a long time since I moved my muzzle loaders on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cleaning your smoke pole can be easier if you simply use screen wash ( pre mixed from cheapy shops at a couple of quid for 5 litres) - whip your nipples out and put some screen wash in a bowl so you can put the breach in so far as to submerge the nipple holes then use a cloth on a jag to pump up and down sucking the wash in and out till it runs clean - pour boiling water down the barrels then let them stand, muzzle upwards, for about 5 minutes - then spray Napier Gun cleaner into the bores and jobs a goodun. Blame the dog for the smell. BP licences are fairly easy to get and are free.