Grenfell Tower Bonfire Video

Mungler

I’ve seen a bit of the video and it is as disgusting and tasteless as the reports suggest, however, is it criminal?

When did we stop just ignoring idiots or pointing at them and laughing at their moronic behaviour and start referring issues that  ‘offend’ to the police?

How many officers will now be tasked to investigate the video and build a case? I can’t but help think they would be better served working a burglary, a rape or a murder case.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Exactly,  I'm sure that the video is in very very bad taste, it's not something I'd watch, but because our media has made it their personal crusade, I've been forced to see a brief clip on the news.

Is it criminal I'd say no it's just in very poor taste.

But I can't help but think, that if the media didn't pick up the story, then next to nobody would know of the video's existence.

Extremely bad taste, and the people who did it need to have words with themselves, but that's all,  trial by outraged media users is becoming far to common, and the police can be doing far better things with their time than chasing people in the darwin pool .

Edited by welsh1

18 minutes ago, Mungler said:

I can’t but help think they would be better served working a burglary, a rape or a murder case.

On a day when they have announced a further 2 murders in London, which I believe brings the running total up to 19 this year, you are absolutely correct. Get your car stolen or your house broken into and the Police will be to busy to turn out. But a builder whistles at a pretty girl, who then makes a complaint and they will be all over the site like a rash. The prioritising of crime in this country seems to have totally turned on its head. As for the clip on the 6-00 news, it just confirms my belief that there are some pretty `sick` people out there.

Edited by JJsDad

5 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

On a day when they have announced a further 2 murders in London, which I believe brings the running total up to 19 this year, you are absolutely correct. Get your car stolen or your house broken into and the Police will be to busy to turn out. But a builder whistles at a pretty girl, who then makes a complaint and they will be all over the site like a rash. The prioritising of crime in this country seems to have totally turned on its head. As for the clip on the 6-00 news, it just confirms my belief that there are some pretty `sick` people out there.

god knows how many "murders".............188 stab deaths in london area so far this year.............

35 minutes ago, Mungler said:

How many officers will now be tasked to investigate the video and build a case? I can’t but help think they would be better served working a burglary, a rape or a murder case.

There is a glimmer of hope that it may be dawning on the police that they've neglected what the public (whom they're supposed to serve!) wants of them and focussed too much on pleasing Guardian readers.

https://news.sky.com/story/senior-police-officer-investigate-burglaries-and-violent-crime-not-misogyny-11541512

7 minutes ago, AdamSouthEast said:

Awful taste, but a hate crime!?

I would guess that most of us either as children or as parents have turned out for Bonfire (Guy Falkes) night; spent an arm and a leg on fireworks and all this to celebrate something that happened in the 1600s, where some well meaning `terrorist` decided to blow up the houses of parliment and its occupants.

We still celebrate this, in a rather macabre way; by burning an effigy, and I just wonder what many from overseas make of this rather odd celebration. This does not excuse the distasteful video shown on the evening news, but just to point out we are sometimes a very odd race.

Whilst I do feel it is bad taste, I am not sure where the line is between a good bit of family fun burning an effigy of a catholic dissident and doing the same with a cardboard grenfel tower. 

There used to be a place somewhere Norfolk way who used to make the news each year by replacing the guy with something a little more edgy. A caravan full of Eastern Europeans featured a few years back to vastly less uproar. 

8 hours ago, Wb123 said:

Whilst I do feel it is bad taste, I am not sure where the line is between a good bit of family fun burning an effigy of a catholic dissident and doing the same with a cardboard grenfel tower. 

There used to be a place somewhere Norfolk way who used to make the news each year by replacing the guy with something a little more edgy. A caravan full of Eastern Europeans featured a few years back to vastly less uproar. 

I remember that one - they had a caravan to burn on the bonfire and so they filled it with cardboard travellers and hooked it up to a tipper truck made of ply. I think the tipper truck had gardening & driveway services decals down the side for that touch of authenticity.

I think all of this is the Frankie Boyle test: 5% of what he does / says I find funny, the remaining 95% I think is dross - some will think it offensive perhaps even criminal. But if we value free speech, satire, parody or just edgy comedy then we should be resisting anyone else telling us what we can watch, listen to, find funny or even what we ought to find offensive.

5 knife murders in the capital this week alone. I presume they’re all young teenage men. Think about that 5 young men that are now dead and it’s almost a side note on the news nowadays. Yet some beered up ******** burn a cardboard cut out of a block of flats and the mob wants them hung drawn and quartered and the police are happy to oblige. The world has gone mad. 

I agree with what is being said here on this matter but at the same time we must remember that we can't even imagine how people who lost family and the emergency services that saw horrendous events unfold in front of there eyes must be feeling at seeing or even just hearing about this sickening video, there opinion on what the police should be doing will be far far different to ours.

38 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Boris Johnson did not burn to death unlike 70 poor people, the video makers are no more than uneducated scum.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/05/theresa-may-drives-the-brexit-bus-off-a-cliff-in-bonfire-night-effigy-8108402/

One is about calling for the death of people who are still alive.

The other is a bunch of educationally subnormal morons thinking an accident was funny.

All based around a terrorist incident , where the culprits were tortured and disemboweled, before execution.

I'm not saying one 'crime' is worse than the other, but see how long your FAC/SGC would last if you actively called for the death of a senior politician in public .

They have handed themselves in by the sounds of it. 

I personally think that they are very stupid and sick to think it was an okay thing to do, but when reading that last night the 5th person in 6 days had been stabbed to death in our capital, I do think the police are being wasted on what was a very sick action of a group of idiots. 

Edited by ShootingEgg