First lab pup

Dazza9t9

Good evening everyone 

so the date is rapidly approaching when I pick up my first lab pub.

ive a couple of dogs before  but this will be my first gun dog and first lab.

I am keen on getting the first days right. I have read about keeping them close for the first few nights and slowly moving the distance away. This is not a problem due to the make up of my house.

eventually she will have a crate in the utility down stairs, which will be her own room.

i was thinking at picking her up and be her bed for the short term one of those plastic pet carriers. Is this what people would suggest? If so what size would best suit a lab pup?

any other tips to make sure I get the first few days : weeks right ?

I think it is a good thing to start them off with their own area. I have never kenneled any of my dogs , they have always lived in, but have been fortunate to have the room.  A cage or a bed in the corner whatever, they learn that is their spot and you can simply say 'Bed' and they will go there.  Personally I am not one of these people who say don't bother to start training until they are 6  ---7  --  8 or more months old. In my view much too late.  My pups have all been 'trained' from day one. Simply asking them to wait a second before they are allowed to get their noses in the trough instils dicipline and soon becomes second nature and later in the field will look at you for permission...hopefully.  .     I envy you having a new puppy, as at 78+ years of age I have decided not to replace my last dog....if I keel over what and who is going to care for it. My dogs have always been there alongside my knee, bussom pals, my best friend and hopefully his best friend.   Your in for a lot of fun and HARD WORK for a week or two ......photos please.

Thank you walker. I’ve shot for 7 years and still class myself as a newbie. But there has always been something missing and I think a little mate (and my accuracy) is it.

i did a good job with my last god, a beagle called Colin. He was a well trained pet. But I want to get this pup best I can.

i have read startin them in your room. And over a week moving them into their own room reduces separation anxiety that is why I ask

ill get some picks up when I pick her up. She is a lovely little black lab from good working stock and a great breader... I’ve named her “Bear” as I am crazy about bears. 

We got our first black lab last July. Picked her up at just over 8 weeks, we were lucky to have her from a friend so spent lots of time getting to know her before taking her home. We set her bed up in the kitchen, she had a crate which I covered half of with a blanket and then made a pen do she had a little space to get up and have a stretch. First night I slept downstairs on the sofa, but I need not have worried. She had a few howls and whimpers, but she settled after a while and only woke me up at six with a yap. My advice is get your pup started on the right path and start as you mean to go on. Good luck, and although it's had its low points, training my Winnie had been one of the best experiences of my life

IMG-20181102-WA0002.jpeg

Other advice for the early weeks would be patience and understanding. It's a massive change for the little things. They all have their own personalities, but labradors can be quite sensitive. Lots of rewards and praise for the right things, lots of encouragement to try again when things don't quite go to plan. No need to rush things in the first weeks, toilet training is a must, but they pick it up quickly. Just spend as much time with your dog as you can and enjoy every minute.

On 05/11/2018 at 20:53, Dazza9t9 said:

Thank you walker. I’ve shot for 7 years and still class myself as a newbie. But there has always been something missing and I think a little mate (and my accuracy) is it.

i did a good job with my last god, a beagle called Colin. He was a well trained pet. But I want to get this pup best I can.

i have read startin them in your room. And over a week moving them into their own room reduces separation anxiety that is why I ask

ill get some picks up when I pick her up. She is a lovely little black lab from good working stock and a great breader... I’ve named her “Bear” as I am crazy about bears. 

Have a friend in California who had a lab named Bear...good choice, nice and soft when necessary but sharp when required.

Honestly bring up and treat your dog like you would a child that you wanted to be good mannered and welcome anywhere. Pub train it, take it everywhere and let it get used to all sorts of situations so nothing will phase it as it grows up.  It will teach you to hunt, all you need to be able to do is communicate your requirements.    Simply sitting and waiting to be told it can eat it's food is a good start.  I envy you.

NOW, I have no worries at all about your ability, if you trained a beagle.   Love the name:lol:

I borrowed a crate when we got our last pup (Kite) just over 12 months ago. We put it in the kitchen and left the door open most of the time. He regarded it as his den and was quite happy to be in it. At night he was covered over with a sheet and after a couple of nights he was quiet all night. They are all different though

01B4D994-72C7-458F-8B64-274E2A469B02.jpeg

Mine has always had toys.

I think what is important is that you regularly take the toy from them saying the command ‘dead’. After a second or two, give them their toy back. If they think you are going to keep everything you take from them, then you introduce a problem.

Also use a dummy, and when you take that from them, you keep it. That way, you teach them what is theirs and some things belong to you.

Worked for my lab.

A toy in the early days makes a good replacement sibling that you have just separated them from.

Edited by moondoggy
Addition

Brilliant thank you. I read that harder toys are the better type than soft “teddy” types.

im trying to stop my Mrs from buying all sorts of rubbish. 

I pick her up on Saturday. I think I have everything now, no doubt there will be somethings I’ve not thought of

16 hours ago, Dazza9t9 said:

Thank you all for your input

its all been great reading. 

What is people’s thoughts on toys? I’ve read conflicting things? I understand no tug of war. But what is wrong with toys?

Mine have always had toys - never had any problem with retrieving. However I agree definitely no tug of war and I would not get a toy with a squeak for fear of causing the pup to be hard mouthed

3 hours ago, Dazza9t9 said:

Brilliant thank you. I read that harder toys are the better type than soft “teddy” types.

im trying to stop my Mrs from buying all sorts of rubbish. 

I pick her up on Saturday. I think I have everything now, no doubt there will be somethings I’ve not thought of

Don't get the soft teddy type, Kong do stuff that you can put food in that gives them something to do and Tesco did a sort of spiky rubber ring designed for dog's to chew for around a quid mine will still run around from time to time with his but has been taught to leave it if asked. 

Thank you 

she has settled in so well. She is going to the loo pretty much straight away when taking her out and we have only had 2 or 3 accidents in the house. 

First night she was awake every 2 hours however settled fairly quickly after going to the loo.

Last night she only woke once, went to the loo and settled again within minutes. 

She is a bold confident little thing and seems to have settled really well.

ive taken the week off work, mission of the day is to get her more comfortable with the crate, not just for night time sleep

Oh I spoke to soon..... she has had soft poop since getting her home, however this morning she has had two liquid poops and been sick twice. She seems fine in her self, maybe a little more tired. I’ll monitor her.

im guessing she has chewed something like a leaf, or it’s just the stress of the last few days has caught up with her.

im using the same food as the breeder, soaking it in water as they were doing. However I have been giving her a handful of unsoaked food during the course of the day when she has been coming to me, and going on her crate. This wouldn’t cause tummy upset would it? It’s the same food just unmoistened