Osmo Hardwax

clumber

Is Osmo hardwax as good as they claim? At the eyewatering prices I've seen for it I don't want to be spending if it's all bull.

I've a little work / reloading bench that's been made in pine. It's in a raw untreated state made from new wood. Now looking for a good treatment for it at a reasonable price. 

Not looking to darken it so was thinking a clear semi matt finish. Something hard wearing, very important. 

Any pointers from those who know would be much appreciated.

Clumber.

Excellent stuff, yes its expensive but the finish is second to none.  We have oak worktops in our kitchen and used osmo to seal them, they looked amazing and very hard wearing. Wind forward a couple of years me being a skinflint decided to go over them with some danish oil I had left.  They look absolutely **** shiny and horrible and lost the dull sheen the Osmo gave, they will be getting sorted with my power sander and then Osmo once again.

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Ive  used it a lot .

But when i spend my own money i buy fiddy hard wax  clear oil .very similar just as good and a bit cheaper .drys faster too .

I don’t think Fiddes looks as nice as Osmo personally. 

1 hour ago, clumber said:

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. 

I don't mind spending if I know it's a good buy and works. Don't want to mess up a good job at the last.

Thanks again. 

To be honest it’s a pretty fail safe product to use. Easy to sand off too. They do Osmo raw hardwax which keeps the timber looking as natural as possible. 

I've used a lot of Osmo products over the years, and for floors and work surfaces I always apply with a brush then wipe off with a cloth. The good thing about these products is that when you feel its time to give another coat, it's simply a matter of a quick rub over with a fine abrasive pad and reapply. 

• 2 weeks later...