12 gauge screw on moderator for my beretta urika

lakeside1000

Hi all, I have been looking at the Hushpower 10 inch 12 gauge moderator, it takes the place of the screw in choke, extends 10 inches , obviously adds weight and upsets the gun balance, but does it work, 

I have been on Utube  where there are only a few vid's which reference this item,

I have several perms which I hesitate to shoot due to nearby housing, even though there is no danger of shot fall in their direction I am concerned about the amount of noise and disturbance to people and domestic animals, so I am looking at either fitting a moderator to my Beretta urika 2, or buying a double barrelled 20 gauge with full length moderators pre fitted.

So main points are, have you tried or do you use one of the screw on ones, just how much does it reduce sound levels, how does it affect shot pattern and do they have some built in choke restriction. I could ask Hushpower direct but I would be interested in anyones personal experience from PW members.

Or indeed do you have a fully moderated 20 gauge and recommend this rather than the 12 gauge modification 

Saddlery and gun room now produce this mod after being contacted by my shooting buddy who wanted them to make him a custom mod for his 20 b semi auto .they used one of his extended chokes and fashioned a mod onto it. It worked out so well they took the idea into production .

So the one of  my mates is on a hatsan sa.20b .this uses a gas system to cycle the bolt .

And in all honesty its quieter than both mine and his Mossberg  20b hushpowers and quieter than my .410 hush and about the same has his baikal .410 fully modded gun. 

So yes they work very well in 20b on a sa. Gas action ..

Ps he shoots 32 grm no6 through it and its still quiet. .

On his light weight hatsan it handles fine and probably quicker than the heavy mossys and probably a ou modded gun too .as far as choke he has a 3/4 on his but i think a 1/2 would be better for pigeon work. 

Basically its a really good option. 

1 gun and a screw in can when you want to be a bit quieter..we have found that the gun seams to shoot in the same place irrespective of if the can is on or not. .

But that could be just the way we shoot. 

You send your choke to hushpower and they fit a can onto it permanently. As far as i know its a custom service .

As there are endless types of choke its easier this way .

They have to be extended chokes obviously 

1 hour ago, sitsinhedges said:

That would be interesting on the bottom barrel of an O/U too. Only using that barrel obviously.

I thought about that option .but it would be disastrous of you forgot and put 2 carts in a ou .

Not worth the risk. 

And alsolimited to 1 shot 

Have 2 huspowers from saddlery.

1 on an old baikal single. £160 "can" on a £10 gun 🤣

and the other has a threaded barrel extension fitted to it so I can fit it to several guns sharing the same choke threads.

They are quieter when using standard cartridges and much quieter when using subsonics.

Gun does become longer and front heavy (actually helps with swing)

If you can justify the price tag it's money worth spent IMHO.

just checked the gunroom website and it appears they used my idea from a year ago 😎

Edited by gotgcoalman
should have took a patent out

The only problem I can see is that its necessary to cut away the front section of the raised rib on the Beretta Urika 2 so that the mounting sleeve can be slid onto the barrel end, I find this a bit worrying as the gun cost over a grand and I dont want to start attacking it with a hacksaw, once its been modified you cant put it back to original,  but on the other hand I dont really want to buy another gun to use as a moderated gun while keeping my Beretta for normal pigeon control.

19 hours ago, gotgcoalman said:

no need to cut anything.

they use my threaded idea now .

IMG_20171220_171501.jpg

So this must be the latest version which replaces the existing choke tube, do you know if the screw in adaptor is actually a modified choke and if so do you get a choice of choke size, I assume its very easy to fit , just unscrew the existing choke and fit the new assembly ????

Can anyone give me a contact for Hushpower, I tried a google search but it just comes up with gun dealers selling hush equipment ???

Edited by lakeside1000

On 07/11/2018 at 19:43, Ultrastu said:

Please reread my second post at the top of this thread. And then look at the image provided above. 

Got it: the old grey matter isn't working so well these days, I didn't realise the S and G room was the same company as Hushpower. 

So all I need now is an extended Beretta Urika 2 choke tube and 160 big ones, I had better start saving up or ask the missus for an early Christmas present, 😍😁

1 hour ago, bavarianbrit said:

They charged me £280 to add one onto a single barrel 12g Webley.

Was that including the cost of a new extended choke? 

I spoke to my gunsmith today who is ordering me a new extended choke direct from Beretta, and once it arrives he will send it to Hushpower for the fitting , the choke is 40 quid and Hushpower are advertising the 10" moderator at 160, so by the time my gunsmith adds on his commission it will certainly be heading up towards 250, lets hope its worth the expense !!!😁

Guest cookoff013

this is really interesting. 

keep me posted. i would also attach one to the under barrel. and block off the top barrel of an o/u. (snap cap or dowel)

i never thought about getting a dedicated hushpower. but have designed a ton of subs for 12s only.

I've inadvertantly put the odd plastic wad through with no ill effects.

On 12/11/2018 at 15:09, bavarianbrit said:

They charged me £280 to add one onto a single barrel 12g Webley.

Hmm without a rib. Remove front sight bead. slip the adapter on 10mm back from where the bead was and tighten the big locking nut (3/4 whitworth fits)

screw can on and you're good to go.

with a rib the barrel extension is the easist way.

Again.Screw the extension in and fit the adaptor.Tighten the lock nut.take the extension off the gun and REALLY tighten the lock nut.

screw the can on and refit to the gun.

If you have more than 1 gun with the same choke thread it's multi functunal.

Normal cartridges are quieter.Subsonic are much quieter.

Next is the cost of a decent sub.

That's why I reload my own.

I have been advised to use sub sonic fibre wad for the safest and best results, my local shop can supply these for just 5  pounds more per slab, ( compared to normal plastic 6's ) which I thought was good value, I think they were Eley .

The new moderator from Hushpower is Ideal as you can switch from normal choke to the moderator easily and there is no permanent change to the original barrel.

You have to send your own choke to Hushpower for the fitting and its only possible on extended chokes but no disruption to your shooting while you wait for the delivery, just a slight disruption to your bank balance.

At the moment I am still trying to locate an extended choke for my Beretta Urika 2, as all my chokes are flush fitting and I particularly wanted a 1/4 choke to use for the mod. So if anyone has a suitable choke they would sell let me know.😁 

3 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Correct on all accounts above .

Including the tricky to find the extended choke bit .

Thats the biggest issue .

Thanks for all your help and advice Ultrastu, My gunsmith checked with Beretta , they do a basic extended for 40 pounds, but he occasionally has 2nd hand one for 25, It will be just pot luck if he has one in stock to suit, I am just waiting now for a call back, fingers crossed. If not I wont wait as I would like to get this sorted A.S.A.P.