What would you do...

Gunnut

2 hours ago, Gunnut said:

This is the first decent reply from Rewulf, to my original post " It's a trap " " Troll in my opinion " and other garbage submitted, simple question, simple answer, but at least it gave the weekend key cowboys, something to do, thought it was a reasonable question, but it seems it wasn't. just wanted to know, where you stood legally, no ulterior motive intended,

It was your initial post which had me thinking YOU were the keyboard cowboy. In my opinion it’s a ridiculous question which deserved ridiculous answers. 

The fact you haven’t told us how your friend of a member resolved this issue you claim happened, does nothing to convince me otherwise. 

17 hours ago, yickdaz said:

I,m not gonna say I would do this I would do that, but I do know no way would I hand it over that's set in stone in my mind 

And why would you ?
Presuming they left you in one piece, how would you feel if your gun was then used to murder someone, a family perhaps ?
You can be fairly certain the type of person who demands a firearm with menace, isnt just interested in the peaceful pursuit of target sports can you ?
No one wants to say in specific terms what they would do to prevent the theft of the gun(s) for fear of possible repercussions.
But for the 3 rd and last time, they would not be acquiring  mine, anybody who would hand it over without a fight needs their head testing.

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

And why would you ?
Presuming they left you in one piece, how would you feel if your gun was then used to murder someone, a family perhaps ?
You can be fairly certain the type of person who demands a firearm with menace, isnt just interested in the peaceful pursuit of target sports can you ?
No one wants to say in specific terms what they would do to prevent the theft of the gun(s) for fear of possible repercussions.
But for the 3 rd and last time, they would not be acquiring  mine, anybody who would hand it over without a fight needs their head testing.

agree with all of that 

22 hours ago, Rewulf said:

If that goes according to plan thats great.

If it goes wrong , you get beaten to death with your own gun in a lonely field somewhere.

No thank you.
You have the right to defend yourself, and others,  using reasonable force, if you believe the person trying to remove the gun from your possession is going to cause death or injury to yourself or others , using said gun, then its your civic duty 🙂 to prevent this from happening.
If that means losing your ticket, then at least your conscience is clear 😉

All very good…but at what point do you raise the stakes?

52 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

As soon as they do .

Don’t think it would be that easy, do you take action when they are 10 feet from your hide and demanding your gun? or when they are face to face with you? or when you are rolling around in the mud with them trying to forcibly remove the gun from your grip???

Edited by old'un

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Don’t think it would be that easy, do you take action when they are 10 feet from your hide and demanding your gun? or when they are face to face with you? or when you are rolling around in the mud with them trying to forcibly remove the gun from your grip???

Whites of their eyes is my usual rule 😂

• 3 weeks later...

I found this an interesting thread as its something ive thought about for reasons ill explain below. Thought I'd put a different spin on it...

What if someone broke into your house and demanded the keys to your safe, as they often do with car keys these days? Personally I wouldn't know what to do being honest. It's easy to say you would use the reasonable force card, but what if there are 3+? Would you take them on in the knowledge that if you went down your family are then in danger? As a few have pointed out, guess there is no correct answer and no one knows how they would react. Prior to owning guns I caught 2 scallywags in my house during the night. I crapped myself, threw a tourch at them, pushed one into a book shelf then got a screwdriver in my leg. They then legged it and I went after them. It was only when they jumped into the canal at the back of the house I realised I had a a black and yellow handle sticking out if my Mr men pyjamas and that even if I did catch them there nothing I can do. Point in trying to make is I've been in a similar position and you do not know how you Will react until the heat of the moment. Unless you have been trained to deal with such situations.

Luckily, I think the chances of someone breaking in demanding keys to the safe are slim, but not impossible. I guess you just be careful who you tell about your safe (obviously) and make sure your house is like Fort Knox!

Little else you can do?

13 minutes ago, MarcMaxus said:

Luckily, I think the chances of someone breaking in demanding keys to the safe are slim, but not impossible. I guess you just be careful who you tell about your safe (obviously) and make sure your house is like Fort Knox!

Little else you can do?

You could ask Mr Digweed how slim those chances are.

I will say this, the less people who know you have guns in the house the better.

Try to ensure as best as possible , neighbours dont see you carrying guns in and out.

Think very hard about your security, CCTV, panic alarms, PIR lighting, dont make it LOOK like fort Knox, try to keep it as low key as possible.
Think about how YOU would acquire someones guns in a home invasion type scenario, its not pleasant thinking, but think then about how you would prevent those plans working.
Consider making a panic room.
Have a plan, something like 'They are not my guns, my friend keeps them here, and I dont have keys to the cabinets' 
At some point the thieves mission becomes just too difficult, and they will withdraw.

If you dont feel that you can do any of this , I understand.
But consider that you are handing over deadly weapons, and you are a witness.
Hope for the best , but prepare for the worst.

58 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

You could ask Mr Digweed how slim those chances are.

I will say this, the less people who know you have guns in the house the better.

Try to ensure as best as possible , neighbours dont see you carrying guns in and out.

Think very hard about your security, CCTV, panic alarms, PIR lighting, dont make it LOOK like fort Knox, try to keep it as low key as possible.
Think about how YOU would acquire someones guns in a home invasion type scenario, its not pleasant thinking, but think then about how you would prevent those plans working.
Consider making a panic room.
Have a plan, something like 'They are not my guns, my friend keeps them here, and I dont have keys to the cabinets' 
At some point the thieves mission becomes just too difficult, and they will withdraw.

If you dont feel that you can do any of this , I understand.
But consider that you are handing over deadly weapons, and you are a witness.
Hope for the best , but prepare for the worst.

Yeah couldn't agree more, sound advice there.