Rangefinder

Laser range finders take a reading on static objects and even then you need a good one past 60 yards, what you have in mind would best be served by some kind of radar technology as strapped to the nose of combat fighter jets. These can be extremely effective at reading the "bounce back" signal of air borne as well as ground targets which emit their own radar pulses. Not convinced there is a cheap enough civilian version though. 

Best way is learn how to guestimate hieghts like u do ranges for airgun/rifle shooting.

I used to guess a distance along a fence then count the fence posts when i was a kid (usually 2m or 6ft spacings)

Mibee not so handy on the foreshore but inland if u can roughly measure the trees and take it from there, very very few hardwoods are taller than 30m/100ft

But if u want to estimate a tree hold ur stick midway (so top is the same length as ur arm+ to chin) then hold it vertical with ur arm out at 90, when ur fist is at the base of the tree and stick top at tree top ur standing as far away as tree is tall (just simple geometery/right angle triangle stuff, all the stuff u thought u'd never use at school).

Mibee easier to estinate a range on the ground (or pace into the tree, ur usually within 6ft) than it is in the air

Another way is to turn around with ur back to the tree and bend down and look at the tree below ur legs, u will look a complete tool, but when ur standing and can just see the top ur same distance away (think thats meant to work as ur looking at tree top at 45 degrees, must admit never used that method, but the stick 1 does work)

21 hours ago, figgy said:

For ducks and geese also pheasant, if in flight you won’t get a reading as they’re moving. 

Better to learn to judge distance and how your quarry looks at them.

It does work Years ago my brother regularly used a Range Finder on Skeins of Pinks mostly on the foreshore to educate the Sky buster's. The range finder was nothing special Bushnall cost £60-70. 

Edited by 6.5x55SE

Wouldn’t have thought feathers and moving you would get a decent reading.  But if it works it works. 

I am  lucky that where I shoot we have big pylons that are 60 yards high so it gives a good reference for ranging. Disappointing if the geese decide to gain height and go over them. 

Remember when you pace out or measure 60 yards if your shooting up at birds 50 to 60 yards high around 40/45 degrees you can add another twenty yards so best let them come in closer. 

Big canadas can look closer due to their size. 

Where a range finder can come in useful is picking points at different distances, could be a hummuck at 40 yards or tree bush at 53 yards you will then know how far when the birds come in.