Some very difficult pigeons.

JDog

This part of the world has seen some large influxes of pigeons over the last two months numbering in the many thousands. Nice as it is to see them the flocks can be frustrating to try to deal with. One day there may be 500 on a stubble the next day none then a week later they are back on the stubble. However I usually see good numbers on my almost daily travels so a cunning plan was required to have a shot or two today.

The prevailing wind was blowing at between 25 and 30 mph and I decided to shoot an outbound line from a major resting wood which was half a mile away. The birds would be coming down wind and heading into the distance so I knew that they would not be 'doddlers'. I took a net only and set up on a hedge in the middle of what was a 150m wide outgoing line. I had to move after ten minutes because it was obvious that I was in the wrong place. I could really have done with two companions to cover the full extent of the line. I was in place by 1:20 with birds already coming over me.

For the first hour and a half I had some real beauties over me. They were no higher than 55 yards but they were really motoring and I had to set myself for the shot as soon as I saw approaching birds even if they were 200 yards away or I wouldn't have time to mount correctly. The satisfaction of killing those birds overhead was enormous.

The return line started at 2:50 but unfortunately it was 150 yards to my left and I couldn't move there as there was no cover. Going into the wind those birds were rarely 10 yards off the ground.

With Jasper's assistance I picked 23 pigeons. I had one cartridge left out of three boxes when I finished. Most of the pigeons were full of Hawthorne berries.

Edited by JDog

Great write up JDog

Similar story for myself today. Met the farmer on my new perm yesterday while out doing some recon on OSR. He asked if I was going to set up but as it was 2:30 already, I said I would come over tomorrow to which he said he would join me and set up at the other end of the field. Arrived at first light this morning with the wind howling and rain coming down. Walked off around 150 before setting up against a low hawthorn hedge with the wind hurtling in from the right. Put the decoys out but then decided to move the hide to behind the hedge with the net at my back which gave me a bit of relief from the 30 mph gusts.

Shooting was difficult with the woodies bombing in on the wind and mostly continuing past. From my hide position, I only got to see these birds seconds before they were gone. Those that did decoy (probably half a dozen) came in fast and high before putting the brakes on and diving back down. Great sport all day but very testing. Ended up with 18 from 51. The farmer packed up earlier with 6 and 3 crows.

Packed up a 3:30 and although the pigeons were still game, I wasn’t. On the 200 yard walk back to the car, the weather changed from drizzle to an extremely heavy downpour....which was nice!

By the time I got home, I was wet, cold, wind damaged and aching but with a smile on my face. Great days sport and some of the most testing woodies I have shot (and missed) for a while

Firstly, JDog, it is good to see that you are back posting reports of your observations and exploits afield.

Secondly, shooting a flightline in those conditions has to be the very cream of sport. Cartridge ratio is totally irrelevant in such circumstances, but you did extremely well and obviously enjoyed every moment which was a result of your careful reconnaissance.

Many thanks for sharing.

OB

As already said , nice to have you back from your extended holidays 😎

Well worth the wait for a typical Mr JDog write up , I guess you are at an age where sport is more important than numbers and what fantastic sport is the one you have just reported on , cartridges numbers for the end result don't really mean that much , just remember the ones you hit rather than the ones you miss.

Like you , I have had a lot of decoying bags which have faded from the memory bank, and one or two days like your latest one which is still fresh in the mind . 

Hope you have got several more to come.

3 minutes ago, JDog said:

There was nothing cruel about Mottys post. He knows perfectly well that I cannot even see 100 yards let alone shoot pigeons at that distance.

during your absence/.....(heart grows fonder and all that)......there was a post about folk paying for days shooting at 80-100 yds game...........the post was similar to the 1/4 mile hare shot a couple of years back (with a .22 rim fire)............many mins did i spend reading it...............those of which i will never get back.....it was unfortunate that you did not have any comment to make on this sort of "extreme game shooting"............i nearly did.....and after a brief comment i found the superglue ...stuck my fingers together and hit the red wine @ £5.65p / bottle available from the co-op......(other shops are available)............