Do English people actually want to work?!

Munzy

I can’t believe it 🤬!

So I’m doing up our house, total refurb whilst we live in a converted outbuilding. It’s a lot of work but I’m almost approaching first fix doing it all myself aside from some big steels and the roof.

Anyway, I need an extra pair of hands and I advertised on Facebook for local labourers, skilled, semi-skilled or unskilled. Knocking up some plasterboard, lugging rubbish up to the burn pile, bit of digging, bit of muck mixing, basic easy stuff. It’s all indoor work as we approach winter, three months work, £100 day rate.

I had six responses, five specifically approached me and expressed an interest but never called me to organise a meeting! The one who did call me came around and spent half an hour chatting it all through. He left enthused and interested and proceeded to pester me for the next few days for a start date. The date was arranged and yet he didn’t show up. No text, no call nada. I need someone I can rely on, not someone who needs to be chased so I didn’t even waste my time calling him back.

Fast forward a few weeks and I put the advert up again and this time got three response. Two didn’t call me to get further details despite sending a message that they were interested.

Long story short, one guy did call me, did come around and have a proper chat and then pestered me for a week for a start date (I was on holiday but didn’t want to tell him this for security reasons).

Date arranged to start yesterday and received a text at 6:45am to apologise, his daughter was sick and he hadn’t slept all night, could he start today instead. Slightly miffed but aware that this stuff happens we agree on today and he says, “Ok, see you tomorrow, 100% I’ll be there”. Low and behold, no show. Not a call or text as courtesy even.

What the bloody hell is wrong with people? I know without doubt that had I been living in Southampton still I would have had 200 Poles queuing up for the job and whomever I picked would’ve turned early, worked his **** off and expected far less money than I was offering.

Boils my urine.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most reliable people able to do manual work are probably already in full time work, a part time ad-hoc job is probably not that attractive to most people who need stable employment. There's plenty of hard working people out there and some who haven't got a day's work in them either, regardless of what country they are from.

Had the same problem recently woth an electrician, booked them in, agreed price, then excuse after excuse, when they didn’t turn up on the second appointment I told them to go forth and breed with themselves ... 

Finally got someone else in yday. 

I saw a post yesterday from a bloke who owned restaurants in America. 

He said they stopped hiring white kids. Instead they hired Mexican kids, they paid them the same money a fair wage. 

If the kid was sick he’d send his brother, sister, cousin, don’t matter who, someone would turn up, they’d turn up early, punch in and stand there for 9 hours straight washing dishes without a single complaint or grumble. 

He said they’d do a fantastic job, clean up the whole kitchen when they’ve finished and off they went without any issues. 

Next day or week when the kid felt better they’d be back in working hard. 

Maybe you need to find a local Mexican family? 🤣

15 minutes ago, gotgcoalman said:

where are you now?

obviously not in Southhampton or the job would be finished.

Wiltshire

2 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Maybe you need to find a local Mexican family? 🤣

Might be a struggle round these parts... not even sure they’ve discovered Mexican food yet!

Not being horrible but £100 a day is half of what people can earn. 

Any self employed guy needs £130-180 depending on location. 

Now a guy earning a bit of cash is different. 

I think I average 60-80 hours a week and never turn work down . 

People seem to be quick of late to say they want the work then never turn up .

3 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Id say implying British people are lazy compared to other nationalitys is contentious yes.

Of course this is simply my opinion but having employed British and foreign workers for years I have noticed a marked difference in work ethic.

I blame abuse of the benefits system and the emergence of a nanny state which has led to generations of people who don’t see work as being worth their time.

1 minute ago, team tractor said:

Not being horrible but £100 a day is half of what people can earn. 

Any self employed guy needs £130-180 depending on location. 

Now a guy earning a bit of cash is different. 

I think I average 60-80 hours a week and never turn work down . 

People seem to be quick of late to say they want the work then never turn up .

Sure, it’s not going to make anyone rich but if I was an 18 year old, perhaps just out of college, I’d be biting someone’s hand off for £2k a month cash.

Your last paragraph is the real issue, why bother responding to an advert AND turning up for a chat only to disappear?

Unfortunately I agree with your comments regarding English not wanting to work. Our work force probably comprises of around 30% Eastern European members. Compared to English they turn up, work and show more respect. And a large majority end up doubling their income through promotion. 

2 minutes ago, Munzy said:

Of course this is simply my opinion but having employed British and foreign workers for years I have noticed a marked difference in work ethic.

I blame abuse of the benefits system and the emergence of a nanny state which has led to generations of people who don’t see work as being worth their time.

Sure, it’s not going to make anyone rich but if I was an 18 year old, perhaps just out of college, I’d be biting someone’s hand off for £2k a month cash.

Your last paragraph is the real issue, why bother responding to an advert AND turning up for a chat only to disappear?

If I was local I’d be on it .

part of the main problem is JAGUAR. They pay 18 year olds £13-18 per hour . It’s mental . 

2 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Unfortunately I agree with your comments regarding English not wanting to work. Our work force probably comprises of around 30% Eastern European members. Compared to English they turn up, work and show more respect. And a large majority end up doubling their income through promotion. 

It’s true which is a shame.

lots of English want to work but have to be home at 5pm and won’t turn up before 8.

im lucky my lads stay 30 minutes over and start 15 mins early most days but it’s rare in a 20 year old. But we do have 20 mins extra dinner. I’m a flexible boss 

5 minutes ago, Pistol p said:

Yes we do, generally about 55hrs a week. Every week. Currently until February, based on two jobs a day. 

prehaps you could entertain it yourself? 

I don’t follow, sorry.

Do you mean why don’t I entertain it?

6 minutes ago, team tractor said:

If I was local I’d be on it .

part of the main problem is JAGUAR. They pay 18 year olds £13-18 per hour . It’s mental . 

👍

1 hour ago, sitsinhedges said:

£100 a day for a motivated person who knows what they are doing is an insult.

So , what do you consider an uninsulting daily wage for an unskilled labourer ?

17 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Er £100 a day is a 100 x better than b all siting on ones backside. 

Damn right !

£100 a day, that's a good wage for a builders labourer. I don't know any labourers who take home £500. People will soon be saying they do, ********, on the books theyd have to earn £600 to take home £500. And this is for a UNSKILLED labourer. Labourers with skills and their own tools, working for a good agency, closer to London or any major city maybe. 

I dont know how many holes I've had to crawl out of, and I have done it for half that wage. I would of chewed your toes off a year or so ago to earn that and tbh its a little bit more for what I put in for a 6 day week (5 x days Council 1 x day private work). 

I am surprised about the lack of Eastern guys not phoning tho. Too many car washes about 😅 shame as they do work hard and they either blag it, or usually know what they are doing. 

Some of these responses have made me giggle, obviously depending on where in the country you are wages varry, I'm a skilled machinist and regularly see jobs advertised paying £10 an hour so if this was £100 a day for labouring i don't see the problem.

As for getting someone to do the job that's probably down to area again, we had trouble getting some plastering done a few years ago, folk turned up measured sent a quote then vanished never to be heard from.