Do English people actually want to work?!

Munzy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£100 a day is a good rate for casual work. I am surprised no takers. When I started clearing this place seven years ago I used to go into Bristol) to collect workers a Pole and a Bulgarian to help with the clearance and was paying £50 a day. 

I was trying for 6 months to get a tree surgeon for some work for the last year. I had 2 no shows and two who came and then did not quote and finally paid £1200 for 2 1/2 days work.

Still it will be a lot better when we are out of the EU. 

7 hours ago, Mice! said:

Some of these responses have made me giggle, obviously depending on where in the country you are wages varry, I'm a skilled machinist and regularly see jobs advertised paying £10 an hour so if this was £100 a day for labouring i don't see the problem.

As for getting someone to do the job that's probably down to area again, we had trouble getting some plastering done a few years ago, folk turned up measured sent a quote then vanished never to be heard from.

Agreed, I had some work done by a seemstress taking in and shortening sleeves on an Argyll jacket.

To me it looked like complicated work, she did a beautiful job and charged me £20 at a tenner an hour, her going rate.

£100 a day for lugging **** around is a brilliant wage in my opinion.

11 hours ago, Munzy said:

Date arranged to start yesterday and received a text at 6:45am to apologise, his daughter was sick and he hadn’t slept all night, could he start today instead. Slightly miffed but aware that this stuff happens we agree on today and he says, “Ok, see you tomorrow, 100% I’ll be there”. Low and behold, no show. Not a call or text as courtesy even.

Pretty much every trades person i have dealt with who hasnt turned up has always blamed their kids being sick or some relative pulled into hospital last minute, the excuse gets a bit old after you have heard it a few times!

Your £100 a days seems more than reasonable to me, think it equates to over 20K a year and all cash if they decided to pocket it.

Edited by ferguson_tom

I have never not once missed a days work because of fake illness or excuses, in fact I have been sent home once or twice to stop infecting others 😂  , on average I'd have to say there are reasonable grounds to believe that locals are more prone to family/car/train/accident/traffic/illness misfortunes. 

You've got to look at it from an employee perspective, anyone with a decent work ethic wants reliable work, 100 pounds a day is very good for a hard working youngster but if something comes up for them with career prospects that is stable they'll go for that instead, unemployment rates are very low at the moment. How many for instance on PW have offered their services? To imply the English are lazy is unfair and wrong, it is more complicated than that when comparing for instance what a polish person will work for, considering some of them are sending the money home where it is worth alot more.

17 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

You've got to look at it from an employee perspective, anyone with a decent work ethic wants reliable work, 100 pounds a day is very good for a hard working youngster but if something comes up for them with career prospects that is stable they'll go for that instead, unemployment rates are very low at the moment. How many for instance on PW have offered their services? To imply the English are lazy is unfair and wrong, it is more complicated than that when comparing for instance what a polish person will work for, considering some of them are sending the money home where it is worth alot more.

Well said,

There are lazy English, just like there are lazy people from everywhere in this world. To generalise a whole people as lazy is just plain wrong, and if it was done against certain others, it would be classed as racist.

Try advertising your job with an agency,  I'm sure you will get someone to start, but just like others, if they get a better offer they won't be around for long.

Well I’d do it. And if I said I’d turn up then I would. And am English.

However, I don’t do Facebook. Perhaps the demographic division is not national but the communication medium. Perhaps targeting adverts at those who want work is best performed outside an environment where the primary activity is sharing amusing videos of cats performing surgery and....ok, I don’t really know what one does on Facebook.

Anyway, the workers are out there and if you build it, they will come. (Although if you have already built it, you don’t need the workers. Bit of a catch 21, really)

Edited by SpringDon

Hi Munzy

In my part of Wales, adverts like yours appear in the local newsagents. "Painter/Gardener/Labourer etc needed"  When I was a student (many years ago) I used to do that sort of job. Do you live in a rural community which has a local Post Office/Newsagent?

Cheers

Aled

3 hours ago, oowee said:

£100 a day is a good rate for casual work. I am surprised no takers. When I started clearing this place seven years ago I used to go into Bristol) to collect workers a Pole and a Bulgarian to help with the clearance and was paying £50 a day. 

I was trying for 6 months to get a tree surgeon for some work for the last year. I had 2 no shows and two who came and then did not quote and finally paid £1200 for 2 1/2 days work.

Still it will be a lot better when we are out of the EU. 

i disagree with the quote of better when we are out of the eu oowee my son is an electrician  and since the poles have started to go home there has been a shortage of sparkies in our area i have got to agree its great for him as his money has gone up about 50% in the last year and he is having a better life  but its bad for the poor people that need work done its gunna cost them a lot more when we are out

5 minutes ago, nobbyathome said:

i disagree with the quote of better when we are out of the eu oowee my son is an electrician  and since the poles have started to go home there has been a shortage of sparkies in our area i have got to agree its great for him as his money has gone up about 50% in the last year and he is having a better life  but its bad for the poor people that need work done its gunna cost them a lot more when we are out

I agree with you completely its going to be bad for all of us that want to draw a pension too. It was said tounge in cheek for the benefit of all our Brexit loving friends on here :lol:

43 minutes ago, oowee said:

I agree with you completely its going to be bad for all of us that want to draw a pension too. It was said tounge in cheek for the benefit of all our Brexit loving friends on here 

Youre on  £ 150k a year , but you cant wait for your state pension ?! :whistling:🤣

I'm not sure it's as simple as laziness, I'd say it's a lack of work ethic rippling down the generations and leaving people mired in a cycle of low expectations thanks to poor or absent role models and a lack of understanding within the household that education matters.

Compared with 40 or 50 years ago we've evolved a stratum of society who have no visible signs of ambition or any apparent desire to progress to anything better in life if it takes effort or commitment. The areas of the country which used to be called 'working class' are largely populated by people who don't feel very inclined to do much working if they can get enough stuff whilst parked on the sofa watching trash TV.

Those who wish to get on in life are a different breed and I know plenty - including my sons - who put in long hours and give up Sundays etc. to get to the airport so as to be at work 1st thing Monday in another country. I also know too many single parents who minimise their working hours in order to get maximum benefits and plenty of time off to go away for weekends with the "partner" who parks the car round the corner most nights so no one can prove they're co-habiting.

Edited by Westward
typo

My wife's company have this problem quite regularly, the work is boring but very easy , they have never had an English person last more than 1 day, whether from the agency or job centre. They would earn @£1800 a month after deductions for unskilled labour + any amount of overtime they want, the only ones who stay are eastern Europeans, they even have signs up in Polish and  Slovakian. Now I appreciate not all English are lazy but I think some believe they should earn more than others just because they are English. I left school 35 years ago and know people who I went to school with that have never done a honest day's labour in all that time, some now have grandkids who are seeing that the dole can be a lifestyle choice rather than a last resort.

21 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Youre on  £ 150k a year , but you cant wait for your state pension ?! 🤣

£150k a year? I think that refers to the example i gave in 'What a Mess' as to the unfairness of the tax system. I just re read the post which was a little miss leading and corrected it to make it clear as an example. 😆

I said it's going to be bad for all of us that want to draw a State pension too. 

I am retired with my state pension programmed for 2027 but but I am guessing these dates are likely to move out If we do not get population growth post Brexit. 🙂

26 minutes ago, scobydog said:

My wife's company have this problem quite regularly, the work is boring but very easy , they have never had an English person last more than 1 day, whether from the agency or job centre. They would earn @£1800 a month after deductions for unskilled labour + any amount of overtime they want, the only ones who stay are eastern Europeans, they even have signs up in Polish and  Slovakian. Now I appreciate not all English are lazy but I think some believe they should earn more than others just because they are English. I left school 35 years ago and know people who I went to school with that have never done a honest day's labour in all that time, some now have grandkids who are seeing that the dole can be a lifestyle choice rather than a last resort.

My wife's company is similar with Skilled workers not because they wont work but because there are not enough workers with the skills available.. They employ workers from all over the world. Whilst the business language is English she has been in meetings with Serbian's English, Croat's, Germans and Russians all speaking there own language. It's like the United Nations :lol:

11 minutes ago, oowee said:

£150k a year? I think that refers to the example i gave in 'What a Mess' as to the unfairness of the tax system. I just re read the post which was a little miss leading and corrected it to make it clear as an example. 😆

I said it's going to be bad for all of us that want to draw a State pension too. 

I am retired with my state pension programmed for 2027 but but I am guessing these dates are likely to move out If we do not get population growth post Brexit. 🙂

My wife's company is similar with Skilled workers not because they wont work but because there are not enough workers with the skills available.. They employ workers from all over the world. Whilst the business language is English she has been in meetings with Serbian's English, Croat's, Germans and Russians all speaking there own language. It's like the United Nations 

My father in law worked at Porsche in the 70s/ 80s as head of one of the departments to do with  machine tooling, they had people from all over the world and the meetings were held in English as this was most peoples second language who worked there.

8 minutes ago, oowee said:

My apologies , I just remembered it mentioned the other day.

I personally believe that when I retire, Im just shy of 51 now, there wont be a state pension.
The upper limit keeps getting pushed forward, and the target date of 70 will go out further, mainly because I dont believe the diminishing working population that actually pay any tax, will be able to contribute enough to pay for the ageing populace.
Thats unless we start getting taxed to death !

Im of the belief that the higher the pension age limit goes, less people will live to see it.
Im in a social group with a lot of various different accountants, and they all agree, the pensions 'time bomb' is totally unsustainable.

7 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

My apologies , I just remembered it mentioned the other day.

I personally believe that when I retire, Im just shy of 51 now, there wont be a state pension.
The upper limit keeps getting pushed forward, and the target date of 70 will go out further, mainly because I dont believe the diminishing working population that actually pay any tax, will be able to contribute enough to pay for the ageing populace.
Thats unless we start getting taxed to death !

Im of the belief that the higher the pension age limit goes, less people will live to see it.
Im in a social group with a lot of various different accountants, and they all agree, the pensions 'time bomb' is totally unsustainable.

Don't worry, the way things are going America, China, Russia, Iran, Israel et al someone will start a world war! So the numbers reachng pension age will be much reduced!

Don't forget "call me Dave" predicted it..........if the country voted for Brexit! 😜

16 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Most reliable people able to do manual work are probably already in full time work, a part time ad-hoc job is probably not that attractive to most people who need stable employment. There's plenty of hard working people out there and some who haven't got a day's work in them either, regardless of what country they are from.

Agreed!

14 hours ago, Rewulf said:

So , what do you consider an uninsulting daily wage for an unskilled labourer ?

Damn right !

Agreed! £500 a week for general labouring is more than top money!  Anyone who is unemployed, and turns this down is bone idle! Too much Unemployment Allowance ( I will not call it Jobseekers Allowance, as clearly they are NOT seeking a job!).

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

I might as well go back to work. :lol:

Many a true word said in jest !

10 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Don't worry, the way things are going America, China, Russia, Iran, Israel et al someone will start a world war! So the numbers reachng pension age will be much reduced!

Don't forget "call me Dave" predicted it..........if the country voted for Brexit! 😜

I think the possibilities for a major conflict involving this country are far from remote.
The groundwork is being done as we speak, and the sabres are rattling in multiple theatres.
Just needs that spark to light the fuse...

2 hours ago, Westward said:

I'm not sure it's as simple as laziness, I'd say it's a lack of work ethic rippling down the generations and leaving people mired in a cycle of low expectations thanks to poor or absent role models and a lack of understanding within the household that education matters.

Compared with 40 or 50 years ago we've evolved a stratum of society who have no visible signs of ambition or any apparent desire to progress to anything better in life if it takes effort or commitment. The areas of the country which used to be called 'working class' are largely populated by people who don't feel very inclined to do much working if they can get enough stuff whilst parked on the sofa watching trash TV.

Those who wish to get on in life are a different breed and I know plenty - including my sons - who put in long hours and give up Sundays etc. to get to the airport so as to be at work 1st thing Monday in another country. I also know too many single parents who minimise their working hours in order to get maximum benefits and plenty of time off to go away for weekends with the "partner" who parks the car round the corner most nights so no one can prove they're co-habiting.

This is exactly how I feel.

I’m of course not saying every Englishman is a lazy feckless individual but I am saying that there are many who are.

It is quite right, as someone mentioned, that there are equally lazy individuals from other nations. On reflection, my first hand experience with employment is skewed because I can advertise a job to an entire country of Englishmen if I wanted and see a generally weaker work ethic but in comparison the foreign workers I’ve employed of course are incredibly driven, they have left their country, possibly family too and arrived here to work. I’m not comparing apples with apples.

The main issue for me isn’t whether what I’m paying is good enough or how many people showed an interest, it is the two guys that said, “Amazing, thanks, I’ll see you tomorrow bright and early”, but failed to appear OR give me a courtesy call. Why did they bother in the first place?