Do English people actually want to work?!

Munzy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Westward said:

I also know too many single parents who minimise their working hours in order to get maximum benefits and plenty of time off to go away for weekends with the "partner" who parks the car round the corner most nights so no one can prove they're co-habiting.

But people game the system at both ends. When I was last in Britain I worked for a while for a well-known online retailer of sporting goods. Their turnover was in seven figures, they owned their own premises, and they were doing very well indeed. But all the staff other than myself and another single bloke were on various governmental income support schemes to top up their wages above subsistence level. The company could easily have paid their staff better but chose instead to have the government subsidize their wage bill for them. And from what I could ascertain, that was true of just about every other small business in the area.The region was historically an area of high unemployment and low wages, and that was the expectation all round.

While on the subject of working. My mrs finishes her maternity Xmas but the child fees are the same as she earns . 

Shes gutted and wants to go back to work to get out the house but it’s actually going to cost her. She’s going to be £30 a month down .

its wrong 😞  she’s even qualified while on maternity for her new job (government related) but no spaces available just yet. She’s really trying. 

It’s annoying she’s trying but she’s better off on benefits and being forced onto them 

5 minutes ago, team tractor said:

While on the subject of working. My mrs finishes her maternity Xmas but the child fees are the same as she earns . 

Shes gutted and wants to go back to work to get out the house but it’s actually going to cost her. She’s going to be £30 a month down .

its wrong 😞  she’s even qualified while on maternity for her new job (government related) but no spaces available just yet. She’s really trying. 

It’s annoying she’s trying but she’s better off on benefits and being forced onto them 

Thats carp when someone is trying there utmost for a break, particularly qualifying whilst on maternity. Fingers crossed she gets some luck.

My niece runs a child care business in the grounds of her house where she has had a purpose built unit installed. It's a very good business although she struggles to get staff. 

Edited by oowee

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

Thats carp when someone is trying there utmost for a break, particularly qualifying whilst on maternity. Fingers crossed she gets some luck.

My niece runs a child care business in the grounds of her house where she has had a purpose built unit installed. It's a very good business although she struggles to get staff. 

Cheers :) I can understand why childminders charge what they do but the main problems are most do 7-2 and 2-7 but my mrs works 9-3 so gets caught out for both slots. She’s lost her mum and mines working full time still at 64 . It’s hard work and even if she doesn’t work and don’t claim she’s better off . How’s that work ??? 

9 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Same. My misses works part time and makes about £20 a month after child care ect. Because he's under 3. And we've saved a bit for a house deposit so we get no help from the government as its classed as savings. We've no family close so it's nursery or one of us stays home. Unfortunately neither of us earn enough to warrant that. Which is why I work 6-7 days a week to keep on saving. 

If my job wasn't guaranteed I'd be up the road and working for you munzy 👍

4 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Same. My misses works part time and makes about £20 a month after child care ect. Because he's under 3. And we've saved a bit for a house deposit so we get no help from the government as its classed as savings. We've no family close so it's nursery or one of us stays home. Unfortunately neither of us earn enough to warrant that. Which is why I work 6-7 days a week to keep on saving. 

If my job wasn't guaranteed I'd be up the road and working for you munzy 👍

We get free childcare for my 3 year old but my little one is 6 months. I’ve told her to sit at home and I’ll clock the hours .

8 minutes ago, team tractor said:

We get free childcare for my 3 year old but my little one is 6 months. I’ve told her to sit at home and I’ll clock the hours .

Did the same for 2 years but it drained about 15k out the 'savings'. We're not skint (yet) or trying to gain sympathy, but just as proven by this thread, if you want hours it's not that hard to fill in a gap till you can find permanent work. I just do the extra weekend work for comfort money for us.

Oh and so I can bash clays in between 😊

Edited by strimmer_13
Extra

Just now, strimmer_13 said:

Did the same for 2 years but it drained about 15k out the 'savings'. We're not skint (yet) or trying to gain sympathy, but just as proven by this thread, if you want hours it's not that hard to fill in a gap till you can find permanent work. I just do the extra weekend work for comfort money for us. 

Does £30 in the bank count as savings ;) lol.

ive had plenty of practice living off no money so it’s nothing new

4 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

The problem with running a legit childminding business is the amount and complexity of the regulation is over the top, and that does make it expensive.

Which of course results in a plethora of unofficial childminders and arrangements

I totally understand where the price comes in . Health and safety is expensive. I think they have 17 staff where we are at £8 I guess each that’s £136 an hour plus holidays and pensions . We work on roughly double what we pay out to charge. That’s £272 an hour :/  . It mounts up.

we used to get help towards the fees but we don’t qualify apparently ??? 

Looks like full time mum is on the cards .

Edited by team tractor

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

My Mrs stopped work when our daughter was born, like you say child care costs vs income meant she might as well be at home as your practically working just to have someone else look after your kid, worked ok for us but everyone is different.

my sister has gone down the child minder route, so she's working from home and getting paid to stay home .

14 hours ago, team tractor said:

We were in a similar position a few years ago when my wife decided to go back to work. Looking back now she says her biggest regret is not waiting another couple of years until the kids were in school, ultimately it made no difference to her career either. At the time it caused us nothing but aggravation and quite a lot of upset to be honest with unnecessary added stress to us and the kids.

Before she went back to work my wife also did a uni course and now has a degree, it kept her busy and worked out quite nicely for us as the student loans and bursary helped a lot financially. 

Edited by ferguson_tom

Finding a lad just out of school who wants to work but hasn’t already got a full time job or education may be the tricky bit. 

When I was at uni I was looking for anything like that when home for the summer, but quickly got full time jobs which meant having to let the adhoc jobs go. 

That at said I am working in Wiltshire, and depending where you are can potentially lend a hand but I work 48h a week booked time plus overruns and am either away or working other jobs most weekends, but if you are stuck and I am free I can muck in. 

On 09/11/2018 at 15:59, Wb123 said:

That at said I am working in Wiltshire, and depending where you are can potentially lend a hand but I work 48h a week booked time plus overruns and am either away or working other jobs most weekends, but if you are stuck and I am free I can muck in. 

Thanks, that’s very kind.

Weirdly the guy who didn’t turn up and hasn’t been in contact has just sent me a text to say “All’s good here, shall I see you Monday?”. I’m yet to respond.

Well, just to bring this around to a conclusion the answer is, “Yes!”.

Many on this thread said in response that they are happy to graft and appreciate that most people need to work, it’s not a choice.

I had an a English guy start with me on Monday, he grafts hard, has a great attitude and he’s flying.