Making beachcasting rigs

Guest cookoff013

16 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

Anyone do this?

I just caught the bug. Wouldnt mind learning this.

Anyone?

hello, i use to make my own, what rod and reel set up have you, the most important for beach casting is a length of shock leader then i used 20 llb running line to my large fixed spool sea reel and 12ft rod, only made up 2 types of rigs for flatties and bass, 2 hook for flatties, 1 hook for a bass rig, i say bass but it was a general fishing set up, google beach casting rigs set ups, where you fishing ?    

Guest cookoff013

East coast. 

Im using braid mainline, no shockleader. That stuff is phenominal thin and very strong.

I wouldnt mind making my own pennel, and pulley pennel. 

I just need a crimp tool / components.

Even with braid I would use a leader, its easier to tie and braid maybe strong but you need a bit of 'give' when beachcasting. I use System Gemini components. not the cheapest but they are the best around. You don't want to skimp on these, especially the lead links and swivels.

Breakaway Tackle is also very good in my opinion.

I'm off to fish Chesil Beach next tuesday, hopefully there's some codling showing

50 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

Even with braid I would use a leader, its easier to tie and braid maybe strong but you need a bit of 'give' when beachcasting. I use System Gemini components. not the cheapest but they are the best around. You don't want to skimp on these, especially the lead links and swivels.

Breakaway Tackle is also very good in my opinion.

I'm off to fish Chesil Beach next tuesday, hopefully there's some codling showing

This. There is very little stretch with braid and the idea is with a shock leader is just that. To take the shock out of the cast.

Tight lines

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i would never beach cast without a shock leader, how ever good the main line is, and can recommend as Diss metioned breakaway gear, Diss i have fished chesil many times good luck for Tuesday and keep warm, 

Any tips? I'm thinking about Abbotsbury or West Bexington

10 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

Anyone do this?

I just caught the bug. Wouldnt mind learning this.

Anyone?

Successful whiting trip then cookie :good:  where are you fishing ? regarding rigs plenty of utube videos Im sure, I can recommend going on the WSF [world sea fishing] forum , a friendly bunch, bags of info

Used to make loads but sold all my kit when I moved to England. Make sure to use shockleader, braid on some eyes will kill them casting, it will help, but unless they are quality they will perish using just braid. 

If for the rig body your using say 50-60lb line, to trap the swivels between beads, instead of a crimp, I used to use bt line. By that I mean that very thin coated wire out of telephone lines. 

Get a thin bit of wire (I used to use a grip lead wire) wrap the bt wire around as tightly coiled as you can and when its full, slide it off the end. Cut into 3/4  inch sections and tie the rig but slide these on either side of the beads instead of crimps. Once you've found the height you want to work with, twist the ******* hard and it will catch the rig main line hard. They don't slip, don't crush the line, and if you've messed up the height or you want a flapper/hook length closer to the bottom it's only a few twists to loosen, reposition and tighten. Saves of rigging up again. This saved a few quid, as you can always get a supply of bt wire out of skips. And ideal until you've realised the tension you need on a hook length if you use a impact shield or some such. 

Have fun, it's bloody addictive and a good way to spend a winters night making weird fancy rigs. 

Buy cheap beads/swivels (go a size bigger on the cheapie swivels to be sure they won't break casting) but don't skimp on hooks. Amount of **** hooks that snap under a bit of pressure I've bought off ebay.... 

1 hour ago, cookoff013 said:

Dulwich? Just south of southwold.

Cracking stuff.

only fished there once, fished mostly Eastlane and Orford island. might be some cod about soon. need some good northlies to stir it up, plenty of lug and a decent light...not forgetting a frying pan and some chips when you get home

22 hours ago, Diss4111 said:

Any tips? I'm thinking about Abbotsbury or West Bexington

hello, give Weymouth angling centre a call for local reports on the east end of chesil beach and west bay angling centre Bridport for the same,  this is what i use to do although the shop on portland road has changed to a new owner, living inland i had to rely on local knowledge, when i fished Portsmouth area i went to Alans marine  shop, or Hayling island there is a tackle shop there, all good for bait to, good luck 

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, give Weymouth angling centre a call for local reports on the east end of chesil beach and west bay angling centre Bridport for the same,  this is what i use to do although the shop on portland road has changed to a new owner, living inland i had to rely on local knowledge, when i fished Portsmouth area i went to Alans marine  shop, or Hayling island there is a tackle shop there, all good for bait to, good luck 

Thanks, 

I have some lug ordered at Weymouth Angling Centre so I'll ask while i'm there. I am favouring the western end as my missus is at River Cottage on a course so i won't have too far to drive.

1 minute ago, Diss4111 said:

Thanks, 

I have some lug ordered at Weymouth Angling Centre so I'll ask while i'm there. I am favouring the western end as my missus is at River Cottage on a course so i won't have too far to drive.

hello, it is a long time ago since i fished the beaches, most at night, although day time could still be good fishing, i used rag worm/ peeler/ lug, fish strips/ or a combi, always found best after a westerly storm, i have an old book (1960) on sea fishing in Dorset by Hugh Stoker, well worth getting if you go fishing in this lovely County    

1 hour ago, cookoff013 said:

Ill look into the shockleader, I did get told not to use one with braid mainline.

Braid straight through, what breaking strain is the braid, im sure you are doing a simple overhead thump 60yds, 5oz breakaway lead will do in all but the roughest conditions, 4oz when its calm,  i use braid for all my fishing [boat] never happy tying braid to mono especially at night in the rain...  

Guest cookoff013

I just tied some shockleader to my main braid line. The knot I used to tie was an albright knot, I had a few practices before I went to the main event.

Thanks for all the help folks.

Its been helpful